Our Pages

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Guest Author: Tamara Gill




Today we welcome regency romance author Tamara Gill to the Ladyscribes blog as she celebrates the release of her newest story, A Marriage Made in Mayfair, on her whirlwind blog tour. Tamara is the author of To Sin with Scandal and A Captain’s Order - A Duke’s Command. Her latest release is published by Decadent Publishing.

~  ~ * . * ~  ~


Welcome Tamara. Can you tell us a bit about yourself and your work?
First of all thank you, Heather and Ladyscribes for having me, I’m really excited to be back here again. I’m an Australian for those who don’t know, a mum of three children, ranging in ages from 8 to 8 months a wife and of course a writer.

I’ve been hooked on Regency since the day I picked up a Stephanie Laurens novel in Kmart and started to write about four years ago as a hobby. Of course, it’s passed that stage and now I’m addicted to the written word. I write Regency and time travel romances set in the Medieval and Regency periods.

What should new readers know before stepping into your world?
My writing has changed since my first two novellas were published and they shouldn’t open A Marriage Made in Mayfair expecting a hot and heavy read. The story focuses more on the growing love between the characters and how they resolve their problems. That’s not to say there isn’t naughty bits in it, but it’s a lot more sensual than erotic.

Describe your typical writing day
Hmmm, typical. Strange word for me as my days are filled with snatches of writing more than a planned day. But I try and get in front of the computer whenever my daughter is having a nap or happy playing in a little play pen I made for her. I also have two older boys in school so between school drop off and pick up’s and sports activities, I try and touch my laptop whenever I can. Sometimes though, it’s impossible.

What is your writing space like? What tools, apps, programs or goodies can't you live without?
I have a laptop and pc. I use my pc for internet surfing etc, and my laptop for writing only. I’m really neat and tidy so my writing space is usually very well organized. J

What is the strangest thing you've ever done in the name of research?
I haven’t done anything. Isn’t that boring? But no, I haven’t done anything other than research online, go to my local library or use what I learned on the couple of trips to England we’ve done.

Can you tell us a little about A Marriage Made in Mayfair and what inspired it?
I started this novella in February 2011 just before I found out I was pregnant. I had this fantastic idea about a lord who falls on hard times and an heiress he’d previously been dismissive of finding love together. So the book started off really well, I wrote often but I became really sick with this pregnancy and so this short 25k novella ended up taking me until Christmas 2011 to finish. It didn’t help my muse disappeared all of the nine months I was pregnant so this novella is very lucky even end up finished not to mention published. But it’s a sweet story between two people from different society spheres who are made for one another.

Miss Suzanna March wished for one thing, the elusive, rakish charmer, Lord Danning. But after a frightful first season sees her flee to Paris, such dreams seem impossible. That is until she returns to London, a new woman, and one who will not let the ton's dislike of her stand in her way of gaining what she wants. Revenge on the Lord who gave her the cut direct and perhaps a little flirtation to show the mighty Viscount what he'll never have.
 Lord Danning unbeknown to his peers is in financial strife and desperate to marry an heiress. Such luck would have it Miss Suzanna March fits all his credentials and seduction is his plan of action. Yes, the woman who returned from Paris is stronger, defiant, and a little argumentative, but it does not stop Lord Danning finding himself in awe and protective of her.
But will Suzanna fall for such pretty words from a charmer only after one thing. Or will Lord Danning prove to Suzanna and himself that she is more than his ticket out of debtor's prison...

Click here to read an excerpt

A Marriage Made in Mayfair is available now.



And now for the giveaway:
Simply leave a comment, including your email address, and you’re entered to win a copy of A Marriage Made in Mayfair. The winner will be selected at random by a mob of kangaroos. Everyone who visits also goes into Tamara's Major Prize draw on the 16th July. Further details can be found here. 

About Tamara
Tamara Gill's love of history started from an early age, but her reading of historical romances only began when home on maternity leave with her second son. Her writing career started as a hobby but soon turned into an obsession—just ask her members of her family, who have suffered many a whipped up, burnt meal. Member of Romance Writers of Australia, Romance Writers of America, South Australian Romance Authors and The Beau Monde keep her occupied and focused on her craft and the changing trends of readers. Tamara lives in the beautiful Barossa Valley in South Australia and enjoys hearing from readers and writers alike.



34 comments:

  1. Tam! Welcome to LadyScribes! So excited to see you here!

    Lucky me-I've already read A Marriage in Mayfair, so I know how all the excitement goes down!

    Kiss that baby for me and watch your email!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thank you Deb!! You're a fantastic mentor and I'm so lucky to have your help. I'll make sure to give Lily a kiss from you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome Tamara! I have to say the cover of Marriage Made in Mayfair is stunning! Lovely. I'm intrigued with the idea of a Medieval time travel--great setting for lots of interesting problems. Lol. Congrats on the new release and thank you for sharing it with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andris. I love this cover as well and it's my favorite atm. In fact, I still find myself staring at it often. LOL. Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh- another new to me author. More fun for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, Sheila! That's great to hear. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. LOL. I knew that's who you guys picked your winners. Now all I have to do is bribe the kangaroos to pick me. Well, it's nice to have you here. I love the cover of your book. Thank you for sharing.

    countessofmar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Melody. I'll have a chat to Skippy and see what I can arrange for you. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Lol. I appreciate that you will have a chat with Skippy. Every bit counts.

      Delete
  7. Welcome to LS, Tamara! Your book sounds wonderful - I can't wait to read it!! And I'm totally in awe of women with more than one kid who find time to write!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jerrica! But let me tell you, with school holi's here atm, not a lot of writing is happening in this house. LOL. :D

      Delete
  8. Hi Tamara,
    Congrats on the release of a Marriage Made in Mayfair! It sounds like a lovely story and I'm looking forward to reading it. I'd love it if the mob of kangaroos picked me to win a copy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Barbara and thank you so much for stopping by! I wish you good luck with the prize draw. :D

      Delete
  9. A mob of kangaroos, huh? LOL. Thanks for joining us again, Tamara. I can't wait to read your latest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I hope you enjoy the story. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Tamara! Welcome back to Lady Scribes! I concur that the cover for MMM is GORGEOUS. I think her dress is just stunning. It sounds like a great read- I love those "battle of wills" stories, lol! Good luck with your newest release and the kidlets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia! I love this cover as well. The cover gods have been very kind. :D

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed the interview. Nice cover.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bn! Thanks for stopping by again! :D

      Delete
  12. Tamara,
    Congratulations on your newest release! I don't know how you did it being pregnant and then having a baby in the house. Kudos to you! I know what a feat that must have been. Your story sounds really great. Thanks for being with us today at Lady Scribes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look back now and don't know how I did it either, Samantha. LOL. Thanks for stopping by. :D

      Delete
  13. I am always looking for new authors to read and your book sounds really good. I have added it to my TBR list
    JWIsley@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, excellent, Joye! I hope you enjoy A Marriage Made in Mayfair. Good luck with the draw. :D

      Delete
  14. Always love historical romance, and love this cover! :D

    lady_milano3 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lady! Good luck with the draw. :D

      Delete
  15. I agree with the other comments that the cover is gorgeous! Would hv liked to see the hero's face tho. I prefer sensual (with a lot of spicy bit!) to erotic so this sounds just right. Thanks for the opportunity to win

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny what we each like on a cover. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and stopping by, Linda. Good luck. :D

      Delete
  16. Congrats on the release of a Marriage Made in Mayfair!
    I wanna read this book, and the cover book was awasome. Love the cover book and i love historical romance genre!!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    filiafantasy at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Filia! This is my favorite cover thus far. Good luck with the draw. :D

      Delete
  17. Congrats on your release and ooh I cannot wait to read it, my absolute favorite books to read are Historical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4hrjc @ mchsi. com (almost forgot to leave my email)

      Delete
    2. Excellent, Rhi. I love hearing from readers who love historicals. It's my favorite genre as well. Thanks for stopping by. :D

      Delete
  18. Tamara -

    I loved the excerpt of A Marriage Made in Mayfair! I love historical romance and always try to have several novella's either on my Kindle or on my bookshelf. I find that they are perfect to read in the car (that way I'm not yelling at my husband for the way her drives!) and having with me while waiting in lines at the grocery store and bank!

    It's amazing how it's so less frustrating to wait in line when you have something fun to read!

    You didn't mention the name of your second son but I hope you name one of your heros after him since he was the reason your first read historical romances and we wouldn't have had the pleasure of reading your wonderful stories without him!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, thank you, Jeanne! My little man's name is Harrison. Perhaps I'll name a hero Harry since that is what we call him.

    Thanks for stopping by!
    :D

    ReplyDelete