Our Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

I Love Tree Houses


I Love Tree Houses!

I’m not sure exactly when my infatuation started. Perhaps with Robinson Crusoe built that awesome complex in the trees where they lived with the monkeys. Once I saw that movie, I was hooked!


 I always thought it would be so cool to live up in the trees with the birds safe from the jungle critters below.  Obviously, I’m not alone. There are tons of awesome tree houses out there.  Artists and architects who have designed and created a wonderland in the branches.


And truthfully, once the zombie apocalypse begins, a treehouse will be the safest place to be! 


In my latest book, Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies, my heroine, Genie lives in a tree house. Only her tree house is in the desert and there isn’t actually a tree. Kyle, the hero says it looks more like a mushroom house, which annoys her to no end. But from here, she has the perfect vantage point to watch for anyone who might be coming. And considering she's an ex-agent with the Counter Terrorism Agency bad guys are always coming.


 
I can only imagine how cool it must be to live in something like that. You can see for miles around. There are no neighbors on either side, or homeowners associations telling you what to do, and if you forgot to put out the garbage can, it's okay to run out in your robe with bed head. No one is there to see you!

Sadly, I don’t actually have a tree house. And I do live in a neighborhood, with neighbors and kids, and buses and little yappy dogs (even mine!).  But a girl can dream.  I’ve also always wanted to live in a sea snail. Yes, Dr. Doolittle was my favorite movie. This person actually
built one. How cool is that?






Someday I would like in a truly unique house like a tree house or even a lighthouse. 



Now that would be something! What about you? What is your idea of a dream house?



12 comments:

  1. Cynthia ~ Love the pictures! The treehouse in Swiss Family Robinson was pretty cool too. It always amazes me when I see people build houses out of old 737s or silos, etc. But what is *my* dream house?

    Well, I *do* write Regency era romance, so I would have to say a castle, right? And while the English castles look foreboding and completely utilitarian - castles in Germany are simply gorgeous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I would love to go to Germany some day and just tour castles. That would be a dream trip! ;)

      Delete
  2. What lovely pictures, Cynthia! I think it would be awesome to live in an old movie theater. Talk about the ultimate big screen TV! My husband and I have also talked about buying an old mercantile store building in a small Texas town and turning it into our weekend getaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I have never even considered an old movie theater! How cool would that be. Especially if it was one of those ornate kind with the fancy walls and heavy red velvet drapes. I've always thought it would be neat to have an apartment above a store in a quaint historic downtown area. But I haven't run across any yet other than in the movies. Still looking....

      Delete
  3. Cynthia,
    Oh my goodness, I LOVE tree houses or even little play houses on the ground--with 3 youngins, how can I not? But I wouldn't want to live in one--we lived in a 3rd floor apartment when our girls were babies and I HATED carrying groceries (and everything else) up those steps. And there weren't any ropes involved. Imagine my ire at slinging a bag over my shoulder only to have it turn and choke me as I struggle my way up stick and rope ladder. Neighbors or no, you'd hear me cursing for miles! Love the idea for my babes though--especially with electricity & plumbing. They'd never step foot in my house again! ;}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Ah, the images you evoke! Of course, I see myself young and nimble easily able to climb the ropes and ladders with sacks tied to my belt and a knife clenched between my teeth! ;D

      Delete
  4. Oh, Cynthia! LOL. I love looking at tree houses, but the idea of actually getting UP in one terrifies me (see my comment from yesterday about fear of heights.) But I have seen some fabulous tree houses over the years, both in person and in pictures.

    My dream house is actually a log cabin--but one with all of the modern conveniences. I love the look and smell of natural wood, and I'd love to have someone build one specifically for me someday. Maybe I should start hanging out around builders and woodworkers--find one of them to be my own personal hero. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, log cabins! Big stone fireplaces. Walls of windows looking out over a glittering lake and sea of green trees. I'm there with you. Let me know when you find the hot builder to build it for you and sweep you away to your own personal paradise and I'll come visit! In the summer that is. :D

      Delete
  5. I loved the Swiss family Robinson's tree house. When I was younger I wanted that house. However, really don't know what I want in my dream house. However, with each move I see what I would like in my dream house. So far I want an open layout and huge master bath.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blogger ate my earlier comment!

    I'll summarize--Yes! Love these! I love the combo of stone and wood, which I have a bit of in my house, but a tree house would rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cynthia,
    Very cool pictures! I've always been drawn to houses where it looks like you are still outside. I love nature and to be surrounded by it without pesky bugs biting me is very appealing. I love, love, love Frank Lloyd Wright's designs.

    ReplyDelete