Our Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

I Have A Jealous Lover


Bet I got your attention.  My lover got mine.  He’s tall, dark, handsome and my muse.  My writing muse, that is.  My lover is not a real person, he’s the creative part of my brain that keeps me up at night whispering stories in my head, or distracts me during the day when I should be listening to my husband, or focusing on my kids or friends.  My muse is so inconsiderate! 

I tried to leave him at home as I do for all my vacations, but my muse just wouldn’t be left behind this time.  Since this is my third vacation this summer, I decided to be flexible in my ‘no working’ on vacation rule and let my muse come out to play just a bit. 

I’ve never really tried to work when on holiday, so I wasn’t really prepared for what a challenge it would be.  Let me tell you attempting to write in a condominium at the beach is hard enough, but actually writing anything that is good in a condominium filled with three other adults and four children under the age of nine is a feat worthy of Wonder Woman.  All I need now is a skimpy blue, red, and gold shiny silk costume and a long, black wig.

I would give up on my efforts, but I am a breath away from being done with my newest book, which is my first foray into the world of contemporary paranormal.  This latest book is near and dear to my heart.  It is one I started over two years ago, but set aside to finish a round of historical novels I was working on.  Yet I could not walk away from this story.  It called to me in the night, a lover singing in my ear and beckoning me to open up my laptop and finish the novel. 

So while I have been at the beach I have been staying up late, getting up early, and leaning on my husband to entertain our kids for at least an hour every day.  I’m almost done, and my muse has been chattering nonstop the whole time.

Here is a little peak at the first novel in my Siren Saga.  The first book is titled: Echoes in the Silence and this comes in the last fourth of the book when my heroine is in crisis. 

Over the years I had considered many times what it would be like when I became human, but I had never, not even once, considered that there may come a time when I no longer wanted to become human, when I would have given up everything for a way to stay a Siren and keep the man I loved.

I had reached for a dream and the dream had floated above me where I could not fathom a way to capture it without destroying myself and Max.

Warm tears slid down my face as I walked away from him.  I did not look back to see if he was watching me.  I did not have to.  His stare pierced the tender flesh of my back, a thousand daggers of sorrow scaring me forever.  The pain was greater than any wound I had ever received. 
The pain curling inside of me and making me nauseous was a thousand times worse than the pain of losing my father and that pain had left me numb for months, unable to speak or barely eat.  That pain had changed me irrevocably and set the course of my life so that I had done everything in my power to ensure I would not repeat the mistake of my mother and many Sirens before me by falling in love with a Cordisi.

All my effort had been useless.  I had fallen for Max despite everything I knew.  I had plunged headlong off a cliff into a turbulent sea of desire and longing.  I had set out to outwit fate and fate had checkmated me.

So have you ever promised yourself you would not work, but your muse just would not leave you alone?  If so, how do you fit work into a vacation?  I would love some expert tips!

Have a great day!
Julie Johnstone, The Marchioness of Mayhem

17 comments:

  1. I'm SO excited for this book, Julie...but you already knew that :)

    Eric and I went to Sandals in the Bahamas earlier this year. I had been completely stuck in my writing -- I was frustrated and totally worried that my muse had decided to take a permanent vacation. So I gave myself permission to NOT think about writing for those 5 days we were gone.

    But, of course, the second I leaned back into my cabana chair at the pool...BOOM! My muse was back! LOL! I hadn't brought my laptop, so I just started taking notes and writing small scenes with no punctuation on my iPad. That was the moment I *knew* we had to move somewhere tropical...which we are doing this September :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story, Jerrica! Sometimes when my muse hits and I have no computer around I write on napkins, etc. Whatever I can find in my car or where ever I am.

      Delete
  2. Julie,
    Congratulations on almost being finished! It has been great to see you so excited by this book. I know it's written from your heart, and the series is going to be fantastic.

    I'm supposed to be taking the summer off from writing, but I've plotted out two new stories and I'm chomping at the bit to get going on them. I've never tried to write on vacation, but I did write at RT and Spring Fling. I just popped my earbuds in and had my favorite instrumental music going to block out noise, but I'm used to writing in chaos. I have to write some at night and on the weekends when my family is home or I wouldn't be able to meet my deadlines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I'm really excited about your new series after reading the tidbit I got to! I need to try earbuds with instrumental music. I've tired my favorite bands to block out other noise, but then I end up being distracted by the lyrics of the band!

      Delete
    2. I can't believe you can get any writing done at all on this vacation. It's been pure bedlam here. Fun, but hectic! Keep up the good work hon!

      Delete
  3. Woo hoo! So glad you're almost finished, Julie. :)

    Right now, I wish I had your problem. I think my muse decided to take an unauthorized leave of absence. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,
      Your muse will come back! We all have times when our muse goes on vacation. Mine has taken a trip across the continent before!

      Delete
  4. Hi Julie! Uh, yeah, that picture of a sexy Paul Walker grabbed my attention right off the bat. Lol. I'm impressed you can work with all those distractions! I'm taking all of summer off from writing (against my will) until my kids are back in school. I tried to balance my mommy and writer roles, but it turned me into a human Cujo, foaming at the mouth every time my family interrupted me. Sigh. Two weeks left, but I know it'll be hard to get back into the groove after 2 months of no writing. :(
    Love paranormals! Can't wait to read this when you're finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andris,
      I know what you mean. It' so hard not to growl at anyone who dares to interrupt me!

      Delete
  5. Oh, Julie! I am so jealous of your muse!! He's gorgeous!!! ;D Congrats on almost finishing your book - it sounds fabulous!! I never tell myself I'll take a break from writing, it just too hard to get started back up again. With small kids I learned to write in small snippets. It's really amazing how much writing you can get done in ten minutes. Take your writing with you everywhere you go, and when they're on the playground, in gymnastics, on the soccer field, at the pool you can write, write, write! The hard part is not chatting with the other moms. They really don't 'get' it. On Sunday mornings I'd sneak into the driveway and sit in the car where they couldn't find me. ;D Half the time, they never noticed I was gone!! Vacations--same thing. Up late, up early. Think lots of 20 minute sprints. It's easier to steal 20 minutes than an hour. Good luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia,
      Good idea! I've been trying to steal and hour but maybe twenty minutes is more realistic!

      Delete
  6. Loved your excerpt, Julie!

    Love your muse, too--I used him as inspiration for a novella!

    I just took a week off while on vacation. Didn't feel bad about it at all--but I did find myself sneaking in 20 to 30 minute sessions when I had a bit of down time! Didn't even get out my computer, just used a notebook and got some significant scenes worked out.

    I think writing is addicting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb,
      I totally agree. Writing is addicting. I'm so glad you love my excerpt and my muse. He is gorgeous, isn't he!

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Julie!!! That excerpt was so good! Can't wait to read *all* of it!

    I love listening to The Lumineers and The Civil Wars while I write. Those are the only two bands I can listen to and NOT get distracted. School starts next Friday for the oldest, then my baby goes to Kindergarten the week after. I should have lots of writing time then!

    LOVED PAUL WALKER. HAWT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your muse is a guy. Can't wait to your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody. I can't wait to get my book out there!

      Delete
  9. Wow, I wish I had a muse . . . all I really ever have is a desire to write whenever I have anything else remotely unappealing to do. I think when I go on vacation, my momentum does too!

    ReplyDelete