Our Pages

Monday, July 9, 2012

An Interview with Noelle Marchand

Hi everyone! It's my great pleasure to welcome my fellow Love Inspired Historical author Noelle Marchand to Lady Scribes today. Noelle's latest work, The Runaway Bride, hits shelves this month. Before we start the interview, here's a brief background sketch about Noelle:

Author Noelle Marchand
Noelle Marchand's love of literature began as a child when she would spend hours reading beneath the covers long after she was supposed to be asleep. Over the years, God began prompting her to write. Eventually, those stories became like "fire shut up in her bones" leading her to complete her first novel by her sixteenth birthday.

Noelle is a Houston-native with a Bachelor Degree in Mass Communication with a focus in Journalism and Speech Communication.

Hmm. When I was sixteen I think I had written one poem! I am so impressed with all Noelle has accomplished at such a young age! On to the interview...


LG: Noelle, you mentioned that you wrote your first novel when you were 16. What was it about? What happened to it?
NM: Great question! It was a contemporary inspirational romance set in Houston, Texas about a guy winning back the girl he loves after he’d walked away from her. I knew when I started it at fifteen that it was probably going to be my “starter novel” but I sent it to a publisher anyway. I received one of those stock rejection letters, filed the manuscript in my desk drawer, and started on my debut novel which was the project I was really excited about. That first book is still in that drawer but I plan to dust it off and send it back in time to WWII for a rewrite one of these days.

LG: When did you make your first sale? What was it like when you finally got The Call?
NM: I made my first sale a few weeks before I turned 21. I didn’t have an agent so the whole process from sending off the proposal to getting the call took about nine months. I was nervous, excited, impatient— you name it during those months. When I finally got The Call I did a full-fledged snoopy dance with a little moonwalking thrown in. It definitely seemed surreal. It still does sometimes.

LG: Your books center on the American West--specifically Texas. As a Texas girl myself, I'd like to know what inspires you to write about our great state.
NM: It just makes for a great setting. It has a very rich, slightly wild, and interesting history having been under six different flags. The landscape is varied (rolling hills, deserts, swamplands, beaches) but tied together by that huge Texas sky. For writers that can translate to potential stories about quaint small towns or bustling big cities, outlaws or lawmen, cowboys and even pirates.

LG: Have you ever lived outside of Texas? If so, what did you miss most about it?
NM: I haven’t lived outside of Texas but I have taken trips out of a state. They taught me to appreciate the warmth, hospitality, and friendliness of Texans. Living here, it’s easy to take for granted that strangers smile at each other on the street and have random conversations with each other. I like that pace of life is less frenzied and more relaxed even in a big city like Houston.

LG: Besides writing about the west, what other time periods/genres would you ever want to write about?
NM: I have always been interested in the WWII era. The Golden Age of Piracy, American Revolution, Antebellum South, all hold special appeal to me. In other words, nothing is off-limits. I’ll stick to romance for a while but may eventually write some non-fiction as well.

LG: What's up next on your writing horizon?
NM: I have another book in this unofficial series coming out March 2013. I’m still in the editorial process for that. I’m also in the beginning stage of writing a novel involving the Underground Railroad.

LG: OK, I have to ask--if you couldn't write, what would you do?
NM: Ah! That’s a scary thought. Lol. Honestly? I probably would have pursued a career as a ballet and/or contemporary dancer. That was my other passion as a teen.  I was actually pretty good.

LG: Any advice to your fellow writers out there, whether published or unpublished?
NM: Read what you want to write. Figure out what makes your favorite books special. Is it the hero and heroine, the author’s writing style, the setting etc? Use those elements to improve your own writing. At the same time, don’t be afraid to do what’s never been done.

Thank you for stopping by, Noelle! To stay in touch with Noelle, you can follow her website, on Facebook, or on Twitter. Noelle is very generously giving away a copy of The Runaway Bride to a lucky Lady Scribes commenter today! Be sure to leave a comment with your name and email address to be considered for the drawing. Here's just a taste of this novel to intrigue you:

The only husband Lorelei Wilkins ever wanted was Sean O'Brien, but she's wasted too much time waiting for him to love her back. When another man proposes, she accepts—until she stands at the altar…and realizes she can't marry without love. Bolting out of town toward a fresh start, she never suspected her parents would send Sheriff O'Brien to bring her home!

After an innocent mistake leaves Lorelei and her reluctant rescuer with compromised reputations, marriage is their only option. But first they must triumph over suspicious locals, shady characters, an inconvenient groom and the bride's own stubborn heart. Will it take putting their lives on the line for Sean and Lorelei to realize that only love can conquer all?


Thanks again for stopping by Lady Scribes, Noelle! It's a pleasure to host such a talented authoress.


25 comments:

  1. Welcome to LadyScribes, Noelle! Congrats on your success!

    I do love a good Western, so glad to see them coming back. Sean and Lorelei's story sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love reading historical western, this sounds a great book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Informative interview and thanks for the oppportunity to win The Runaway Bride.

    I loved Unlawfully Wedded Bride and am eager to see how it all continues. Please enter me in the drawing.

    arieljo12 @ hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful interview and lovely pic of you, Noelle. I hope you'll travel further and get more ideas for your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noelle ~ From one Texas girl to another - Welcome to Lady Scribes!! Congrats on your release and good luck! The Runaway Bride sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Noelle! Thanks for joining us today. I'm a Texas girl, too...I live in the DFW area, but spent one year down in Houston. And I've always loved the WWII era, too, so I hope you do rewrite that first story in a new era. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noelle, I love your hat! Welcome to Lady Scribes and good luck on your debut. I'm really impressed that you had the vision to know what you wanted and to go after it, at such a young age. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your author photo, Noelle...mysterious with a touch of sass. I'm impressed with your skills at your age. And book contracts too!! Fantastic. Your story sounds wonderful. I loved getting to know you through this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to have you here today, Noelle! I enjoyed the interview, and I'm still reeling at the early start you had - bravo! I hope you have a long and fruitful career ahead of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Noelle. Your picture is gorgeous as is the cover of The Runaway Bride. Congratulations on your debut. I wish you much success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome, Noelle! I agree with everyone else--your author picture is beautiful! Congratulations on your debut, The Runaway Bride! I know a lucky winner will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Uuuumm your so cool Noelle!!! I wanna win! :-)

    Shelley Broussard
    shelleyjw@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Noelle! Love the author pic! Can't wait to read the Runaway Bride!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ladies! Thanks for the warm welcome. I feel right at home with all you Texas gals and western book lovers. A photographer friend of mine took the photo so I will have to pass along the compliments to her and the art department did a fantastic job on the cover. I am so glad that y'all are interested in my book! I'll stick around here for a while so if yall have any other questions or comments, feel free to let me know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Noelle! Look forward to reading The Runaway Bride!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Noelle! Thanks so much for being our guest today. I'm super impressed with how you knew your calling at such a young age. Your book sounds great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice interview. The book sounds good.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really nice interview. My dads family is from Texas and I have a sister in law in Texas. That is super cool that you were able to accomplish your dream.

    countessofmar@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Noelle! When I was 16 I was trying my hardest to get OUT of writing anything! =) You have my total respect. Do you still dance too? *more sighs of envy* You are most accomplished!

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. And the winner of The Runaway Bride is J. Grace! Thanks everyone for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Verу good post! We will be linking to this great post on our webѕite.
    Keeρ up the gоoԁ wгiting.http:
    //www.gather.com/viewArticle.аction?aгticleId=281474981769820
    Here is my website - Watch Glee Season 4 Episode 7

    ReplyDelete
  23. My ρrogrammег is trying to convіnсe mе
    to move to .net from PHP. I have аlways dіsliked thе idea because оf thе exреnses.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WоrdPress
    on vaгious webѕitеѕ for about a yеar and am anxious about switching tο another
    ρlatform. I have hearԁ good things about blogеngine.
    net. Is there а waу I can іmport all my worԁprеsѕ pоsts into it?
    Any κind of help would bе really aрpreсiated!

    http://www.gather.com/viewArtісle.action?
    аrtіcleId=281474981769823
    my webpage - Watch Hunted Season 1 Episode 8

    ReplyDelete
  24. An interesting diѕcussion is definitely
    worth сomment. I thіnk that you should wrіte moгe
    аbout this subject mattеr, it may not be a taboo ѕubject but genеrally folκs don't discuss such issues. To the next! Many thanks!!http://bethel.patch.com/events/the-ultimate-fighter-season-16-episode-11-fight-the-perfect-fight-watch-it-for-free-online-stream
    My website :: Watch The Ultimate Fighter Season 16 Episode 11 Fight the Perfect Fight Online Free Stream

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, fantastic blog lаyout! How long have you been blogging foг?
    you makе blοgging look easy. The overall look оf your ѕite
    iѕ exсellent, as wеll as the
    сοntеnt!http://tomsriver.patch.
    cоm/eventѕ/merlіn-season-5-episode-9-with-all-mу-heart-watch-it-fοr-free-onlinе-stream-9ee72bf4
    My web blog ... Watch Merlin Season 5 Episode 9 Online

    ReplyDelete