Our Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Bachelorette Pick

I’ve never tried to hide my obsession with "The Bachelor/Bachelorette". Yes, it can be ridiculously melodramatic and the set-up is totally messed up.

1 bachelor + 25 ladies(sleep deprivation and intoxication) = epic meltdowns


Did you know the cocktail party lasts all night and the rose ceremony isn’t until dawn? I’d be curled up on a couch and saying, “Who cares? Forget the rose. Give me a pillow!” But over-the-top drama and host Chris Harrison’s smirk aside, I love the show.

Most recently I’ve been glued to the TV watching bachelorette Emily Maynard’s search for love. If you don’t know Emily’s story, she was engaged to her high school sweetheart, Ricky Hendrick, a NASCAR racecar driver. They met when they were fifteen and they were together for four years before Ricky died in a plane crash on his way to a race. Days later Emily learned she was pregnant with their daughter, named Ricki in honor of her father. Emily has been the only single mother to be the bachelorette, and it has added a whole different dimension to the show. She is looking for someone who will not only be a match for her, but also a man who will be a good fit for her daughter. (Yet, Emily hasn't allowed any of the men to meet Ricki, and I admire her for shielding her daughter. I also respected her for not doing the overnight dates that are usually part of the show.) She’s had some great guys to choose from, but now it’s down to two.

There is the Indie racecar driver, Ari, who’s funny, sexy, and seems to have a really good head on his shoulders when it comes to kids. I liked when he said kids have to trust you as their friend before you can take on the role of their father, and I think that’s very true. Lots of stepparents make the mistake of trying to be a disciplinarian to their stepchildren before they have any type of relationship with them. So kudos to Ari! He would make a great choice.

Then there is my favorite, Jef. He’s a little shy, playful, and a true romantic. Plus, he has an adventurous side to him. He owns a ranch, skateboards, shoots skeet, and has a really cool off-road vehicle that reminds me of a dune buggy. Emily had a lot of fun on his hometown date, and she seemed at ease.

They have similar values. Family is important to both of them. Emily has worked as an event planner for a children’s hospital, which means she was involved in raising charitable donations for the hospital. Jef is the CEO of a water bottling company that helps people without access to clean drinking water. They are also both humble and sensitive.

I think Jef would make a great dad, too. He has given serious thought to how he would fit into Ricki’s life as well as Emily’s. I loved when he said Ricki was the most important person in Emily’s life and he hoped he could be the second most important person. He was also the only one to think about Ricki on one of their dates. He and Emily had picked out marionettes to represent each of them and he went back to buy one for Ricki, too. To me, he’s an all around wonderful guy, and I’m a sucker for the really sweet ones. (Jake Hillary from “Lady Amelia’s Mess and a Half” is my ideal hero.)

I’ve been a bit irked by comments I’ve seen on FB about how Jef is all wrong for Emily, mainly because of his hair. Some people have said he looks like a child, and Emily will be raising two kids if she marries him. They say he’s too young for her and he’s immature. First of all, he’s older than she is and anyone capable of running a successful company is an adult. (Interestingly, he has never given any indication he has money, but rumors have it his net worth is $3 million.) Secondly, judging a person simply on how they look is immature, so nana-nana-boo-boo! LOL


Of course, people making these comments are fans of Emily’s number three choice, Sean. He seems like a nice guy as well, but only Emily can know what’s in her heart. I don’t think she made a mistake, and I didn’t really like when Sean said he hoped Emily came to her senses sooner rather than later and realized she was supposed to be his wife. That wasn’t very gracious or humble, IMO. Nevertheless, it would be nice if Sean became one of the bachelor’s down the road so his fans can see more of him.

Whatever the outcome of Sunday’s finale, I can’t wait to see how everything unfolds.

Are you watching "The Bachelorette"? If so, who is your favorite guy and why? If you don't watch, do you have a favorite 'reality' show? In honor of nice guys everywhere, I'm giving away a signed copy of "Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half." Please include your email with a relevant comment. 

38 comments:

  1. I've never been able to get into the Bachelor or the Bachelorette. It all just seems too forced and too outside the realm of reality (despite the fact that it is "reality" tv).

    I do love a lot of reality tv, though. This summer, I'm watching Big Brother (not even remotely real, but at the same time more real than anything else!) and So You Think You Can Dance. They are a good contrast to each other. :) One is all about lying and back stabbing, and the other is all about talent and the beauty of artistic expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to watch "So You Think You Can Dance". I've heard great things about it, but I've never seen it. I bet my daughter would like it, too.

      I used to watch Big Brother, but then it seemed like they filled the house with hysterical people. I liked it when they have people who knew how to scheme. LOL

      Delete
    2. This season on BB, they've brought in four former players to act as "coaches" to the current group. The coach who coaches the winner gets 100,000...and they've brought in some really good schemers and strategists for those positions. Mike Boogie and Janelle are two you'd probably remember, depending on how long ago you were watching. I like what I've seen so far.

      Delete
    3. I'll have to watch a couple of shows to see if I like it now. I wonder if I can get it on my laptop. I like to watch from the start.

      Delete
  2. You are not the only person I know who really loves this show, Samantha! I've never watched it. The concept blows my mind, though. Competition and stress can really bring out the truth in some folks, so I'll bet there is lots of drama.

    I do like some reality TV. Project Runway is one of my faves. I love watching the creative process, although I don't always love the time constraints and manufactured stress they have to deal with. I used to be a big Survivor fan, but we've moved away from that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb,
      I LOVE Project Runway, too! I agree on the time constraints and stress. I feel like they are really unfair to the designers at times, and then they tear them apart on national television. I don't like that aspect, but I do love seeing the designs. I think a new season starts tonight!

      Delete
  3. The last reality show I was really interested in was Dancing with the Stars - celebrities, athletes, and actors/actresses undergo rigorous training in something they have no background in, while being stresses by lack of food for the level of exercise (Marie Osmond did call it Dancing with the Starved). And they had to look graceful, too.

    cgnemesis [at] yahoo [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The transformation with some of the stars is amazing. You know the trainers really work them hard, and on top of learning dances, etc., most of the stars still have their regular schedules to maintain. I don't know how they do it.

      Thanks for stopping by. I'm adding you to the drawing. :)

      Delete
    2. I've watched that one too, although I can never seem to get to see it every week...but I'm always amazed how they do all that in heels! I can't even walk in heels...

      Delete
  4. My favorite reality show is Survivor. I think Jeff should just leave them out there on the islan and then come back in a month and see who they want to vote to win. Would be an interesting angle.
    I watch something else whe The Bachelor comes on so have not seen that one.
    JWIsley(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joye,
      LOL. That would show us who the REAL survivor is. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  5. Sam- I have only watched one season of the bachelorette and there is a reason behind it. I have a friend who was going through a rough time. She was married to a jerk at the time (that's being nice). She just wanted someone to hang out with her and watched the bachelorette. I agree to watch it with her. Well, that train wreck sucked me. Once she moved back home I couldn't stop watching it. So, I found another to watch the rest of the season with. I have vow never to watch it again. Unless I'm watching it with a buddy, but to watch it by myself I will not watch. I really don't watch reality shows. I just had to comment on this topic. W

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have FB friends who watch it too, so I get to chat about it with them. Thank goodness! If I didn't have anyone to talk to about it, that wouldn't be fun. Which bachelorette did you watch? I'm just curious. I haven't been watching from the start, so it may have been one I didn't see.

      Delete
    2. The one where the guy from Utah basically played the girl and said he had to go home cause of his kids.

      Delete
  6. Samantha ~ I have never been a fan of The Bachelor/Bachelorette franchise. Not sure why, but I haven't been. I guess the romantic in me, finds it hard to believe that true love can be found via television producers ;)

    In the olden days (don't I sound like my grandmother...?) I loved The Amazing Race, but then all the airports gave me heartburn.

    I'm still a fan of Survivor though. I think I've only skipped one or two seasons. There's something about the show that feels like a social experiment I can't quite look away from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava,
      I think the odds of finding true love on a television show are probably about as good as walking into a bar and finding true love. Not great. But there are a few couples who have gotten married, so it's possible. Maybe that's what draws me in. Will she or won't she find the love of her life? I'm a love gambler! LOL

      It's definitely a study in emotions and physical reactions. I enjoy reading their body language and trying to predict who will stay and who will go. I'm sure it's the same with Survivor.

      Delete
  7. I've never watched The Bachelor/Bachelorette, it just doesn't seem like you would find love on a reality show like that. I used to watch The Amazing Race, Survivor and Big Brother, but they just got old after awhile. The one reality show that I still watch is American Chopper/Jr Vs Sr, I watch it for Paul Jr and I think his father is a jerk. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      I think finding true love on television is going to be tough, but then again, finding love anywhere seems to be tough. Probably even more so these days when people aren't even sure if they should admit they want to be in a committed relationship because they might scare off a prospective spouse.

      When I talk to some of the my older patients, I find out they often met their spouse in ways I would never dream. For example, one couple met on a train going to Chicago. Another met on a street corner. Another woman saw an article on widowhood written in the newspaper and she contacted the author. One man saw his future wife in a cafe and went up and asked her out. I think the generation before us was a lot braver.

      I think I've only seen American Chopper once or twice, and if it's the one I'm thinking of, that dad is a jerk!

      Delete
  8. I've been watching the Bachelor/ette since they first began airing. I'm an addict! I'm watching and as you know Sean was my pick (one of your facebook stalkers erm friends lol), but I really like Jef for her as well. I do have a feeling that she is going to chose Ari. There really wasn't a bad guy in the final three this time around, so I'm very good with whomever she chooses. I do have to say though that Big Brother is actually my favorite reality show, I call it my summertime crack lol.

    temptnfate13 @ yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another fan! I guess we'll see which one she chooses Sunday. I wonder why they are having the "After the Final Rose" episode live. Do you think they are going to make an announcement of some kind? JP and Ashley are going to be there. Maybe they are having a surprise wedding. :D

      Delete
    2. LOL No I don't think there's going to be a wedding. I do sense a possible Jason Mesnick situation, where someone changes their mind. To me the funny thing is, Jason is the first truly successful Bachelor even though he changed his mind during "After the Final Rose". He's been married to his "pick" for quite sometime now. The franchise has produced more successful couples after the show has aired then it has from the show itself. There are several who've met at Bachelor/Bachelorette reunions who've married each other. Then there is always Tenley and Kipton who met through Bachelor Pad are are going very strong.

      Delete
  9. Oh and I was watching the NASCAR race when word of the Hendrick's plane crash came down, talk about heart breaking. Among those lost were several key Hendrick Motorsports staff, including team president John Hendrick and his twin daughters, Kimberly and Jennifer Hendrick; Ricky Hendrick, son of Rick Hendrick; general manager Jeff Turner; and chief engine builder Randy Dorton. The other people on board were Joe Jackson, a DuPont executive; Scott Lathram, a pilot for driver Tony Stewart; and pilots Richard Tracy and Elizabeth Morrison. The plane was en route to the Subway 500 Nextel Cup Series race at Martinsville, Virginia when it was reported missing at 3:00 pm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man! I can just imagine how heartbreaking it was. I got all teary-eyed hearing Emily's story the first time. It's so sad. :(

      Delete
  10. I don't watch reality shows! Am I the only person who doesn't? :p
    When I do watch tv - which is rare for me - I watch the news or sports. I prefer reading anytime to watching tv.

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Linda. My preference is to read or write, but there are a few shows that capture my attention. I'm sure you're not the only one who doesn't watch reality tv, although I suppose it could be argued that sports is reality tv. ;-)

      Delete
  11. I don't watch The Bachelorette. I like Amazing Race.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen The Amazing Race, but they are always running on the commercials and it makes me nervous. I'm always afraid I'm going to miss my flight, so that just taps into my anxiety. LOL

      Delete
  12. I am a original Survivor fan, I've watched it every year since the very first night in came on. I wish I could be on it, sadly my health would not allow me to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I never got into Survivor because it was on the same night as something else I used to watch, but my in-laws really liked it. I was over once or twice when it came on, but it's hard to know what's up if you don't get in from the start. Do you think you could eat some of that gross stuff they have to eat? I suppose if I was hungry enough. :P

      Delete
  13. My favorite reality shows are Dancing with the Stars, So You Think You Can Dance and American Idol-when I remember to watch them. :P

    I've always been a little skeeved out by the bachelor/bachelorette shows, but if you could do a recap like this, I'd totally read it, Samantha! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... Maybe you're on to something. Samantha's Bachelor End of Season Updates. :)

      I love anything with dancing. Those are fun shows.

      Delete
  14. I only watch the Kardashians, and for the life of me, can't understand why I do. I must be crazy. The first time that The Bachelor was aired years ago, I watched the whole season. I felt so bad for the girls when they got the "kiss off" each week, that I've never watched it since. I stick with my Young and The Restless and General Hospital.

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I might just get lucky for my birthday . lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane,
    Have you ever seen Futurama? As a joke, they have this television show called Hypnotoad. It's this frog with psychedelic eyes that twirl around and around and you can't look away. I think the Kardashians have the same thing going on! LOL! But seriously, if I accidentally come across that show, I can't look away.

    Here's hoping you get lucky for your birthday. And that you win a book! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I'm super late to the game but I looooooove The Bachelorette!!! And I'm soooooooooo happy she chose Jef. The goodbye with Ari was tough, though. He's such a nice guy and it was heartbreaking to watch. But I foresee a very happily ever after for Emily and Jef :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations to Infinitieh! Your name was randomly drawn as the winner of "Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half". :)

    ReplyDelete