Our Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

An Interview with Love Inspired Author Jessica Nelson

I am so pleased to play hostess to my fellow Love Inspired Historical author Jessica Nelson, whose debut novel Love On the Range was published in April 2012.

Author Jessica Nelson

Before we start the interview, here's a little more about Jessica:

Jessica Nelson, in keeping with her romantic inclinations, married two days after she graduated high school. She believes romance happens every day, and thinks the greatest, most intense romance comes from a God who woos people to himself with passionate tenderness. When Jessica is not chasing her three beautiful, wild little boys around the living room, she can be found staring into space as she plots her next story. Or she might be daydreaming about a raspberry mocha from Starbucks. Or thinking about what kind of chocolate she should have for dinner that night. She could be thinking of any number of things, really. One thing is for certain, she is blessed with a wonderful family and a lovely life.

But I still, even after reading this adorable bio, had questions for Jessica--and she was kind enough to answer them. So...on to the interview!
LG: Love on the Range is your first novel for LIH. Is it your first novel, period? When did you begin to write? 
JN: I began writing with the intent of publication in 2006. Love On The Range was my first manuscript and the poor thing has been worked on a million times. :-)

LG: What made you decide that you wanted to write Christian/Inspy historical romance? 
JN: I think anything I write will have God in it just because He's what I see in life, so I didn't make a conscious choice to write inspy, that's just what came out. As for historical romance, I'm an avid reader of that genre and it was my first inclination. Maybe everything I write will have romance in it too. LOL

LG: Did you get an agent first, or a publisher? What did you do when you got The Call?
JN: I got my agent with a different manuscript while the full of Love On The Range was at the publisher's. My agent sent me a "call" e-mail and I jumped around, squealed, and ate chocolate. *grin*

LG: Love on the Range is set in 1918, one of my favorite periods in history. What drew you to this era? 

It just happened to fit into the motivation for my heroine traveling from home. I started reading about the flu pandemic and was hooked.

LG: Are there any other historical eras that you want to write about? 

JN: I love regency type romances but know nothing about that era, so I have some researching to do, but eventually I might write a book set then. :-)

LG: How on earth do you find time to write with three children? 
JN: Naps. :-) And I have a nice ability to tune them out. lol

LG: Any other releases in the works? 

JN: Nope, but I'm working on a WIP that will hopefully be published someday. :-)

LG: Anything else we should know?
JN: I like dark chocolate?? That's not really relevant though, right? Teeehee! If anyone is interested in learning more about my book, my website is http://www.jessicanelson.net/ or they can like my page https://www.facebook.com/AuthorJessicaNelson or friend me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/jessica.nelson.12 . I also love connecting with people through blogs. Thank you for having me, Lily!



Thanks for dropping by, Jessica! And now for a taste of Love on the Range:


Any other socialite would view being packed off to a remote Oregon ranch as a punishment. But Gracelyn Riley knows that this is her opportunity to become a real reporter. If she can make her name through an interview with the elusive hero known as Striker, then she’ll never have to depend on anyone ever again.

Rancher Trevor Cruz can’t believe his secret identity is being endangered by an overly chatty city girl. But if there’s one thing he knows, it’s that Gracie’s pretty little snooping nose is bound to get her in trouble. So he’ll use her determination to find “Striker” to keep an eye on her…and stick close by her side.

Hooked yet? Jessica is giving away one copy of Love On the Range to one lucky commenter below. So feel free to ask questions! She'll be dropping by as her three kids will allow to chat with us today. :)

The Lady Scribes and our guests always look forward to hearing your thoughts. If you would like to be entered into the drawing for a copy of Jessica Nelson's Love On the Range, please include your email address. Only relevant comments adding to today’s discussion will be eligible for the drawing. 

28 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica! I love the premise of your story:). I was intrigued by the fact that the socialite also a journalist :). What a heroine ! Do you mind to tell me what was inspired you to write about reporter? ArethazhenAtrocketmailDOTCOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Jessica!
    We are so happy to have you with us today. What a cute summary. It sounds like a sweet story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica and Welcome to Lady Scribes! Your story sounds great--I love a heroine with pluck and a sense of adventure. Congrats on selling your first novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jessica! Welcome to Lady Scribes. I have to say, I am a HUGE fan of dark chocolate, too. I could eat some of that every day. In fact, I've read many times that eating dark chocolate every day is good for you, sort of like having a glass or two of red wine every night. I've also heard the same things about coffee. Because of that, I have no compulsion to stop eating my dark chocolate or drinking my two cups of coffee each day. :)

    Your debut sounds adorable. If reading the book is anything like reading the blurb, I'll be all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Jessica! Congrats on your debut. I love that time period too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely to have you join us today, Jessica! I'm also a recent debut, so I know what a whirlwind this year has been for you :-) I'm intrigued by the time period—with the exception of Downton Abbey, I know little about that era. I'd love to know what it is that draws you (and Lily!) to that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly can't answer for them, but I know I love reading and watching anything in that era because it was such a time of change. There's built in drama, from the technological advances and the great powers in the world shifting in the war...it's just a fascinating time. :)

      Delete
  7. Lily, thank you so much for having me today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anon/Aretha? :-) Thank you so much for your kind comment! A reporter/journalist has always been something I think would be exciting so I guess I gave that to the heroine as something exciting for her, but it also serves as her goal for the story. She's working toward it for different reasons and it gives her a reason to be nosy (which she would be anyway, but now she has an excuse). LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Samantha! :-)

    Gayle, mmm, yes, chocolate every day is the way to go. And coffee. Of course it's good for us. Teeheee!

    Hi Andris! Thank you for your warm welcome and congrats. I love plucky heroines too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Deb, it's definitely interesting!

    Erin, so funny but I knew nothing about it either until I stumbled across info on the Influenza pandemic. I'd always been into the WWII time period but now, learning about WWI has been fascinating. It was a true mix of technology and the "old way" of doing things. Cars and horses sharing a street. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica, your books sounds great. I just don't get the socialite idea at all. I mean seriously... dressing up, going to parties, learning manners and dances, ugh. So glad I live in the now instead of back then. I do like reading about those times though. :)

    Thanks for the giveaway!!

    ladettek[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL Ladette, I feel the same way! I like reading about those times too, but only if the heroine bucks society. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's wonderful living vicariously through the heroine's we create. You and Nora Roberts have something in common. She, too, wrote while her very active little boys napped. From one chocolate lover to another, I enjoyed learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaaa, Loretta, I would love to be compared to her! But...she's much more prolific than me. Thank you for stopping by! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jessica I would love to win a copy of your book. Sounds so good! I just have a general question about your family. How old are your children and what are their names? By the way...I love seeing your smiling face on FB.

    Blessings!
    Judy
    judyjohn2004(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love Jessica and would love to win her book! Thanks for featuring her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Judy! Thank you so much for the sweet comment. :-) When I started writing this book my second was a few months old. Now I have three boys ages 5,6 and 8. :-) They're currently playing outside with the sprinkler. lol

    Thanks for stopping by, Lauren. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Don't enter me for the drawing. I have AND loved Jessica's book! I highly recommend the read.

    Love learning more about you, Jessica! Fun interview!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Jessica! I'm always on the hunt for inspirational romances to recommend for the ladies in my Sunday School class. :) Yours sound like something right up their alley.

    Congrats on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awww, thanks so much Loree! I appreciate you. :-)

    Thank you Marquita! I'm thankful to be here.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jessica,

    Congrats on your book! I am so glad you could join us at LadyScribes, and it is nice to know someone else drinks raspberry mocha besides me. People usually make unpleasant faces when I tell them what I am drinking - lol. They simply don't know what they are missing :).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jessica ~ Welcome to Lady Scribes. I love the sound of your setting and your cover is so pretty! Congrats on your release. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the book! How do you plan to celebrate?

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Amy!!! How are you? I didn't realize you blogged here too. So good to see you! I agree, they don't know what they're missing. lol

    Hi Ava, thank you! ;-)

    bn100, with chocolate, of course! *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoyed the interview, thanks so much! It's good to get to know Jessica a little better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The winner of the giveaway is Aretha Zhen! Thanks to everyone who participated.

    ReplyDelete