Our Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Check Out Entangled Publishing!!!!!





The New Kid on the Block everyone wants to meet!

Entangled Publishing
 
For anyone considering making a change or to just shake things up a bit try submitting to Entangled Publishing. I did and I can’t be happier!!

Entangled is a new print and e-book publisher that has had phenomenal success in their first year on the scene.  Several of the authors, editors, publicists and publishers met in Vegas a couple weeks ago for a publishing Pow-Wow that was a blast. I thought I’d share with you what I learned. 

Entangled loves their authors. And their not just saying that! Their contracts are easy to read, author friendly, and negotiable. They assign a publicist to every author--I love love love that!! Their covers are awesome. And they just had their big Pow Wow in Vegas — how fun was that—LOTS!
Entangled is actively pursuing for many of their lines and a big plus for me – you don’t have to wait 2 to 3 years to see your book on sale!

Digital only lines

Indulgence — (45-60k) Very successful (think Desire) These books focus on the romantic journey of the couple. Jennifer Probst just sold books 2 and 3 in her very successful Marriage Bargain series for 7 figures and has hit all the lists. With a digital category. It can and it does happen in Entangled land.

Brazen — (50-60k) Brand new and eagerly accepting submissions (think Blaze) Hot, sexy Alpha hero. Very successful wealthy heroic profession. Fantasy! These books focus on the  sexual journey of the couple. They are topping the lists with titles like - Wrong Bed, Right Guy, and Seducing Cinderella.

Covet — (45k-60k) Brand new and eagerly accepting submissions. While these are romances with a paranormal twist they are not Nocturnes. They do not want extensive world building. These do not have to be dark. They have the romance hooks with a paranormal character. The first three are out now and getting great reviews. Titles like Tall, Dark and Divine, Take it like a Vamp and Deceiving the Witch Next Door.

Dead Sexy — (60k-70k) My favorite of course. This too is a brand new line. But again, not like Intrigue, not like Harlequin’s Romantic Suspense. These are romances with a suspense twist. If it has a dead body it’s a Dead Sexy. If it has a character in severe jeopardy it’s a Dead Sexy. If it’s a Thriller, Cozy, Historical, Suspense with a strong element of danger—it’s a Dead Sexy.

Bliss — (45-60) Sweet and Sassy line. Still very romantic, but leave the strongly worded love scenes at the door. Think Moonlighting before they had sex. Lots of sexual tension, great romance but not a lot if any sex.

Flirts – (10k-15k) Short romantic Novellas

Ever Afters – (20k-40k) Short romantic Novellas

What's really cool about Entangled is they always have special submission calls on their blog, so follow their blog and their tweets - @entangledpub



Print Lines –

Entangled Books, Entangled Select, and Entangled Teen- 60k-120k word romance novels or novels with romantic elements.


These lines are booked through 2013, but if you can wait their covers are beautiful and they have awesome marketing plans.

Check out their website at Entangledpublishing.com and see the covers for yourself.

The Digital lines are Trope heavy. This is a new term for me. I always called them hooks — but apparently their tropes. Think marriage of convenience, boy next door, best friends now lovers. The more tropes the better!! 

So, go ahead, throw your questions at me and I’ll see what I can do to answer them. And if you have any examples of Tropes, throw those out there too.  The more the better!! ;)

Happy writing. It’s a great day to be a writer!!!





Cynthia Cooke
Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies

Excerpt —

Kyle stared in disbelief at the odd, mushroom-shaped
structure rising up from the cracked, dry earth of the
Nevada desert.
“There she is,” the voice of Johnny Garino, his crew
chief and closest friend, buzzed in his earpiece.
Genie stood on the roof of the strange house.  Three
black SUVs were corralled on the ground far below her.
She looked incredible, breathtaking, silhouetted against
the brilliant blue sky.  Kyle sucked in a breath as she
clipped a cable to her belt.
“She’s getting ready to fly!” Johnny called out, his
voice rising in pitch.
“Hold on, baby.  I’m almost there.” Kyle pushed down
on the throttle urging the bird faster, even as he willed
Genie to turn and see him, to hold on until he could sweep
her away from the danger.
And once he did, once he had her safe and secure in
his cockpit, then what?
Then he’d try not to kill her himself.



Connect with Cynthia at:
Cynthia’s Website — www.cynthiacooke.com
Twitter – @Cynthiacooke5
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/cynthia.cooke.authorpage


27 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the great information, Cynthia. I am really impressed with Entangled and their authors, like you, seem to be really happy. :)

    Always great to hear.

    I bet what people (authors) want to know what's on some of the editors' wishlists?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia - You are so right - Entangled is a great place to be. So supportive and the editorial is top notch!

    I'll highlight the special calls. Recently, they had Flirt and Ever After calls with Christmas and New Years themes. I had never written "short" before but I was intrigued by the "Santa Baby" call, couldn't get an idea out of my head and wrote the novella in 2.5 days. Such a great way to stretch my creative chops, and learn a new skill set. Try it out - you never know what will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marquita -- I'll put it out there on twitter and see what happens!!

    Thanks for coming, Robin! You're so right! I love the ideas for their Special Calls -- Zombie Fairy Tales and Spooky love stories for Halloween! What fun! I really wanted to try my hand at one of those but couldn't squeeze out the time. But I watch those Special Call boards regularly because the ideas are so much fun! These stories are short and a great way to get your name out there. And again, peeps, have you seen the covers?! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Cynthia. So well said. I love being part of the Entangled family.

    I am brand new to the publishing word, and I couldn't be happier. I originally signed a single-book deal for the Select print line. Once my editor and I got into that, she suggested I try my hand at writing for the Bliss line. Now I have TWO ebooks coming out...the first one in September. Such a wonderful, whirlwind experience. :)

    Thanks again for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Ophelia! That's another thing that was mentioned in Vegas -- they want, even encourage us to write for as many of the lines as we can manage. Whatever we are interested in, we can write. No small career-constricting boxes at Entangled!! Reaching broader audiences and cross promotion is great and beneficial for all!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I couldn't be happier to be part of Entangled. Sounds like you all had a blast in Vegas. Wishing now that I had switched my plane ticket to Vegas from Anaheim before coming home.

    And you're right, the Select covers are GORGEOUS. I can't wait to see mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I'm a complete newbie, my first title EVER having just come out with the Entangled Indulgence line and it's doing better than I could have possibly imagined thanks to the great team at Entangled.
    Vegas was a bit far for me to pop over, given I'm well and truly down under in New Zealand, but everyone is so supportive and generous with their inside info I almost feel like I was there! Thanks!
    Michele de Winton

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm another super-happy Entangled author. They took my debut book on for the Indulgence line and turned it into an Amazon and Barnes and Noble best seller. I'm still blown away by it all. Entangled is fabulous. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes! The Boss and Her Billionaire was just out this July and it's doing fab! See what I mean about tropes!! Lots and lots of tropes! The readers eat them up. Congrats, Michele!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rachel!! Kidnapped by the Greek Billionaire was a fab book with a fab cover!! It must have been very exciting to watch Entangled take off like it has. A definite roller coaster ride. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Cynthia! Great post with lots of good info. I had so much fun in Vegas meeting you and the Entangled team--and eating chocolates and chocolate-covered strawberries during the meetings. Who could ask for more? Entangled is a fun and exciting place to be, with lots of opportunity and incredibly impressive people. I'm happy to be a part of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tracy! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, the chocolate covered strawberries. Wish I would have remembered to post a pic of those!! LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cynthia,
    Great post. Thanks for sharing the information. I too had a great time in Vegas. Entangled is full of wonderful people who care for their authors. I'm so happy to be here. I hope we can all meet up again next year!

    Hayson

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have to check them out, Cynthia. It's awesome that you all are so happy with them. I do love their book covers. Fabulous! Great info and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay I just saw this come through twitter at @entangledpub (which is why everyone should be following!)

    From @bevrosenbaum ---- Already loving my new job as a Senior Ed at @entangledpub! Writers, hold on a couple more days for detailed info on what I'd like to see!

    There you go! For anyone looking for an editors wishlist follow @entangledpub and @bevrosenbaum and stay tuned!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely to hear from so many happy authors! Congrats to you all and welcome to Lady Scribes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, Cynthia! And yes, Vegas was a hoot :-) Authors can always check out editors wish lists in Entangled's blog--here's the latest wish list: http://www.entangledinromance.com/2012/07/02/wish-list-july-2012-edition/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cynthia! I've heard great things about Entangled! And you're so right--they have beautiful covers! Thanks for sharing such great info about them!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cynthia!

    Great post! It's really exciting being part of the Entangled phenomenon, and especially fun to be heading up Dead Sexy! I love the freedom of our new line, and encourage any of you authors out there reading this who don't fit into the traditional narrow romantic suspense box to check us out. Of course we love the tried and true RS regulars, like bodyguards, cops, and special ops, but we would also love to get stories you wouldn't see anywhere else. Want to stretch your wings? Come try us out!

    We'll look at paranormal suspense, cozies, historical suspense, hard-boiled, humorous mystery, erotic thrillers, you name it. If it's got a kill, a thrill, or a chill, we'd love to see it--as long as it has a romance, too! Our word count is short (60-70K) but our feel is single title with a category sensibility. :D In other words, complex, emotional, thrilling stories, but without so much blood and gore on the page. The ratio of suspense/mystery to romance can be anything, but the hero and heroine must be on the page together for most of the book solving the crime, running from the bad guys, or chasing down leads. And there must be a Happily Ever After ending, of course!

    We'd love to see lots of new submissions from all your blog readers! Check out our guidelines at http://bit.ly/DeadSexyBooks

    Thanks again for the great post!
    Nina Bruhns
    Editorial Director, Dead Sexy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi CYnthia!
    It was great to meet you at RWA!!! :)

    I wish I had gone to Vegas witht he Entangled gang! LOL SOunds like you had a blast...

    Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Lisa!! It was great to finally meet you. And yes, the Entangled ladies know how to rock the house!! :D

      Delete
  21. Hi Cynthia (and Nina!),

    Great post. Does Entangled take novellas or novels that are part of an already indie-pubbed series, but as yet unpublished?

    Cheers,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't see why not. I'll post the question to the loop and see what they say! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cynthia! As you know, I had to go into indie pub because my contempory romances didn't quite fit in with the standard lines. Maybe Entangled will be the publisher I've been waiting for! :-)

      Delete
  23. Hi Judy,
    Looks like the answer is yes! Good luck with your submission!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete