Our Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Simple Pleasures - The Perfect Summer Night

This past month on my personal blog I have been focusing on simple pleasures in life. The first week was star-gazing, the second popcorn, and this week my simple pleasure is without doubt, magical summer evenings.

As I write this, I am ensconced on my screened-in back deck, listening to the ancient rhythm of the southern orchestra: crickets, frogs, cicadas, ducks, and just about any other night creature with a voice or a pair of fine-tuned legs. Christmas lights and the glow of my computer are the only brightness—beyond the screen is an inky void stretching to infinity.

I love the whisper soft hint of wind, the sultry southern humidity, and the perfectly comfortable temps that call for little more than a tank top and pajama bottoms. The lack of cars or city sounds is a sort of balm to this country-girl’s soul. I love living out in the boonies, where the night is mine and mine alone as the world seems to sleep around me.



Nights like these are free and plentiful, luring me outside at least a few times a week. They remind me of times gone by—of the times I write about with wistful abandon. When no cars or planes or horns or radios cluttered the earth, and quiet could be had more often than not. Yes, I know—I would never willingly give up any of those things, lol, but that is why my sweet summer nights are so special.

I think often of how lucky I am to be able to experience this sort of solitude and peace. It energizes and relaxes all at once, both filling my heart and draining my worries and anxieties. Mostly, anyway – even the most peaceful of evenings can’t banish a scary deadline ;) And with that, my friends, it's back to work with me.  At least for a while longer, I'll have the very best office in the world :)

So tell me—what are your favorite simple pleasures?

16 comments:

  1. Until recently, I would have thought you were crazy with a blog post like this. Temperatures that are "perfectly comfortable" at any time in August? You must be a madwoman.

    Granted, that is until recently. Now that I'm living in NC, I'm baffled that you're right. And it is August. And the temperatures are absolutely comfortable. I don't get it. It still isn't processing in my head. LOL.

    Hmmm...simple pleasures? My favorite is probably curling up on the sofa at the end of a long day with a cat on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Catherine - it's rather divine to be able to actually enjoy the out of doors in summer, is it not? Give it time, you'll get used to it ;)

      Delete
  2. I love the simple pleasure of a cup of coffee and a quiet house. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect :) Well, if you substitute hot chocolate or tea for the coffee ;)

      Delete
  3. I love the simple pleasure of everyone (including my kids) sleeping in on a rainy weekend and sitting outside on my screened in back porch in the evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gotten so lucky this summer to have sooo many rainy days, have we not? It's just the best to listen to quiet rain from the comfort of your porch.

      Delete
  4. Erin ~ My most favorite simple pleasure is a hug from a child. My son, one of my nephews. There is nothing quite as genuine as this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww :-) Makes me wish I saw my niece and nephew more often!

      Delete
  5. Simple pleasure--the spa at night before bed! Love the night, the sky, the peace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that a wonderful sound? I love it:) We've got a little orchestra in our pound out back and I always make sure to stand out there and listen for a little bit every night. But a screened in porch is where it's at! Maybe some day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I am catnip to mosquitoes, so a screened porch is definitely key to enjoying it all!

      Delete
  7. Erin, I envy your ability to relax and enjoy the peace. I try, really, I do, but get antsy after about 10 minutes. My husband likes to sit on our back deck and watch the sun set. I twitch beside him until I can't take it any longer and go inside to do something that needs done. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, I'm an antsy pants too. That's why I generally enjoy the back porch with either my computer on my lap or a good book in my hands. If I'm just sitting there, I go crazy!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like heaven! My simple pleasure is sitting on my patio on the fall, sweatshirt, fire pit, glass of wine and just talking with the family. We don't get to do that as much as we used to. Because I am in an office all day, I need to be outside whenever I can. Often, the laptop is with me if the family isn't around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin!

    After growing up the youngest of three girls I finally found the serenity of "time along" when I moved from up-state New York to Arizona after graduation from High School to work full-time and go to school at night.

    I had a small one bedroom apartment and treasured those hours before midnight and settling down for the night surrounded by peace and quiet, a comfy chair, and a good book to read!

    Now many years later after raising sons with plenty of friends filling the house and now having grandchildren to fill in my "spare time" when I'm not working I still look forward to the simple pleasure of the hours before midnight filled with peace and quiet, a comfy chair and a good book to read!

    ReplyDelete