Our Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Gina Lamm Reveals...er...All!



You guys, I'm really excited! Romance author Gina Lamm has dropped by Lady Scribes today to reveal the cover for her upcoming novel, The Geek Girl and The Scandalous Earl. (I love that title- isn't it fun?)

Gina hasn't visited Lady Scribes before and I wanted to ask her a few questions, so we can all get to know her better. Also, because I am honing my reporter skills in case this writing gig doesn't take off. Watch your back, Babs.

Ms. Lamm. Doesn't she look as sassy as her heroine?


Gina, inquiring minds want to know: who came up with that awesome title? And can you give us a short overview of what Geek Girl is about?
Well, I came up with the first title on my own. It was Geek Girls Don’t Wear Petticoats. And while my editor loved it, she wanted a title that mentioned the hero. What followed was lots of desperate begging to my crit partners and beta readers for help with a new title. Between the, I don’t know, six of us, we made a pretty good list, and The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl was my favorite. Fortunately, it was my editor’s favorite too! 

Here’s a wee blurb for your pleasure!

Jamie Marten is a sporadic songwriter and self-professed geek who’s shamelessly addicted to online role-playing games. It’s easier to pretend she’s a kick-ass heroine than to actually be one. When she’s sucked through the mirror on an antique bureau and dumped into a Regency England bedchamber, her modern day problems—runaway boyfriend, flighty muse, and bad gaming mojo—suddenly seem insignificant.
Micah Axelby, Regency England’s Earl of Dunnington, wasn’t in the market for a new mistress. He’d just dismissed one crazy bedmate. Naturally, when a nearly-naked woman shows up in his bedroom speaking of Angry Birds and time travel, he’s furious. The ton’s gossip mill will make him out to be the harbinger of harlots, and that could make his proposal to a proper young miss difficult.
Jamie’s odd name, sailor’s mouth, and tendency to thoroughly screw things up frustrate Micah at every turn. But a meddling, magic-wielding housekeeper is determined that Jaime is his lordship’s perfect match. Micah wants an amiable wife, Jamie wants to go home, and one bitter ex-mistress wants Jamie dead. When a haughty earl and a geeky girl meet, butt heads and fall in love, it’s anything but a typical romance.

Wow, that sounds fun! And totally different from anything I've read before, which is always cool. 

I know you started your career as Regina Cole, writing something much sexier than Geek Girl. Do you plan to continue writing as Regina? If the answer is yes, what drew you to write something so different?
I actually started writing everything as Gina Lamm. My first release was a paranormal erotic short called One Night To Fly, which is under that name. When I wrote Dear Addi, I initially put Gina Lamm on it. But when it started getting hotter and heavier during the editing process, I began to think about it. Geek Girl had already gotten me an agent, and it had an editor very interested indeed. If I had a pen name on something, I wanted it to be my erotic romance instead of my mainstream. So I contacted Ellora’s Cave and Regina Cole was born! Her world moves faster than Gina Lamm’s, so it seems like she’s been around longer. J I write a lot of different genres, but it’s got to have relationships and an HEA. I don’t do sad endings.

Yeah, me neither. In fact, I hardly read anything but romance anymore, because I love a Happy Ever After so much. And, really, what's wrong with that? 

What was your favorite part of writing Geek Girl? Your least favorite part? Anything bizarre that you had to research, and got you on the FBI watch list? Should we start collecting bail money?
My favorite part had to be smashing together two of my favorite things: MMORPGs and Regency England. It was so weird, they had nothing to do with each other, but they fit together like peanut butter and chocolate.
My least favorite part? The “black moment.” I don’t want to give too much away, but I totally bawled like a fricking baby when I wrote it. And when I re-read it. And when I edited it. And now that I’m thinking about it... *sniff* But don’t worry! Happy Endings!!!
The most bizarre thing I had to research is probably strychnine poisoning. It’s a pretty dramatic way to die, and gives a lot of wonderfully heinous symptoms. But if the FBI is listening, nope, totes not interested in poisoning. (All bail money can be sent c/o Olivia Kelly…)

*Holds up hand solemnly* I promise to use all money sent to me for bail...and that Coach purse I have my eye on. Er. Anyway

Do you have plans for Geek Girl to be the beginning of a series? What can we expect from you in the future? And will the covers be as fabulous as the one for Geek Girl? Because the look on the heroine's face is priceless!
Hehehe, I know! Sourcebooks’ cover department did such a phenomenal job! I couldn’t be happier. There is a sequel on the horizon, featuring Jamie’s best friend and her search for her own perfect love. Look for Geek Girls Don’t Date Dukes in fall of 2013. And I sure hope the cover rocks it like this one!

Ha! I love it- Geek Girls Don't Date Dukes. Verra nice.

Okay.

Now we will play my favorite game. I'll ask you questions and you will reply with the first answer that pops into your head. Ready? 

Umm. Keep it clean, girl. 

(Really? Do I have to?)

See? I know you, Gina. ;)
Okay, GO!

Favorite color? All of them

Favorite food? Fried chicken. (What? I grew up in the South.)

Mountain climbing or scuba diving? Mountain climbing. Drowning scares me.

Train, car, bus or plane? Trains seem romantic, but I’m sure they’re not. Plane.

Skiing in Switzerland or shopping on Rodeo Drive? I sprained my knee skiing. Let’s shop.

Football or Hockey? Football. I used to be a cheerleader. (Weird, I know.)

Wild party or quiet night at home? Quiet night at home, unless the wild party is with my Heart of Carolina Romance Writers girls!

Do you like your Philly Cheesesteak with American cheese or Provolone? (Think carefully here.) Can I have both? There’s no such thing as too much cheese.
(A girl after my own, cholesterol-clogged heart!) 

Dresses or pants? Pants.

Scandalous, rakish, handsome earl or...oh, wait. That's a silly question! Totally. C’mere, Mr. Darcy!

Gina, thank you so much for dropping by Lady Scribes and revealing the cover for The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl! It's been fun to have you and we hope you come back when the next one comes out...

Thanks so much for having me, Liv! The Lady Scribes rock. 

32 comments:

  1. Gina,
    Thanks so much for being here with us today at Lady Scribes. Your book sounds fabulous! I can't wait to read it. Plus, I'm jealous I didn't think of it first. Then I could write Regency AND use all the anachronisms I want. LOL

    I don't see the release date in the blog. When is it being released?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha!! Thanks so much for having me. :)

      I'm kind of glad you didn't think of it first! Hehe. I love Regency, but I don't know if I could do a straight historical justice. :)

      And whoops. It releases March of 2013!

      Thanks again!

      Gina

      Delete
  2. OMG, I WANT. this book needs to go on TBR list. Love the idea of a modern girl thrown back in time. When will this be out. Gina love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Mel, it'll sound even better when I have the "official" cover copy! :)

      It'll be out in March. Sorry we missed it the first time!

      Gina

      Delete
  3. Gina! Welcome to Lady Scribes! I've read your work before so I know this book will be just fabulous. Can't wait to get it into my greedy little hands. ;}When does it release again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Andris! What a lovely home you have here. ;)
      Thank you very much! You'll be enjoying Jamie and Mike by spring. March, specifically. :)

      Thanks for commenting!

      Gina

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Gina! so happy that you're here and sharing the super delicious cover of your book. Totally going on my TBR pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello 'Quita!! Thanks for letting me drop in!

      I really hope you enjoy it!

      Gina

      Delete
  5. Oh, I'm so silly! I can't believe I forgot to ask Gina when the book comes out. I guess Barbara Walters' job is safe after all. *G*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're an EXCELLENT interviewer. Interview giver? Interviewist?
      Whatever. U aks questins gudd. ;)

      G

      Delete
  6. GREAT Cover! Love it! Can't wait to read it when the book comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vanessa! I'm super happy with it. I appreciate your stopping by!!

      :) Gina

      Delete
  7. Gina ~ This book sounds delightful! Congrats and best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for joining us today, and revealing your cover here. I love the idea of your books, and the titles are totally cute. :) Good luck with your upcoming release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! I hope they live up to expectations. I really appreciate the opportunity to stop by!

      Gina

      Delete
  9. Gina...I kinda knew what 'Geek Girl' was about, but after reading this fab interview, it just cements the fact that I must have it! So right up my alley. Congrats to you, funny woman. :)Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Laura, thank you so much! I hope it makes you smile. :)

      :) Gina

      Delete
  10. Welcome, Gina! Great interview, Olivia. The book sounds like such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me stop by, Deb! Liv is a fun chick. :)

      G

      Delete
    2. Aww, thanks! My half of the interview isn't very funny if the other half doesn't "bring it" and Gina ALWAYS brings it, lol....

      Delete
  11. Love the cover! What a great and fun interview. Looking forward to reading about the Geek Girls. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina! So glad you could stop by! :)

      Delete
  12. I like the idea of time travel, because you can have a really strong heroine who came get away with things Regency heroines couldn't normally!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome, Gina!! What a fab interview - and you know how much I adore that book cover! This book is such a fab concept, with two of my favorite things, right there in the title. Wishing you tons of success and cheese and fried chicken and . . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my reply will work this time? Maybe?

      Thanks, Erin!
      I'm sure it's better for me if I just get the success instead of all the fattening food I love! Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  14. Great post and wow... love the cover of this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We DO have wild parties, don't we? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This book sounds awesome! I'll definitely pick it up and I look forward to the next book in your series. (Also, I really appreciate your punchy answers during this interview.)

    ReplyDelete