Our Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

It’s Fall!


-->
Or autumn. It doesn’t matter what you call it, fall is my favorite time of year! Summer with its brutal heat, dripping humidity, and bloodthirsty mosquitoes are over. Cool crisp nights, the smell of pumpkins and cinnamon and earth are here. Now that I live on the East Coast, fall is even more special. Here in the South the leaves start making their change in early October. 





-->

Slowly bit by bit until they all turn a vibrant red!




  -->
And it’s Indian Apple time. That’s what my brother and I always called pomegranates when we were kids. We’d sit at my grandmother’s newspaper-covered table and tear into the tart fruit. We would make a huge mess, staining our fingers and faces and clothes, but it was such a special time. A time I will never forget.

-->

But pomegranates aren’t the only fruit I think of in the fall. There’s our annual search for the GREAT COOKE PUMPKIN!! It has to be perfect, just the right shape and size with an unbroken stem and unmarred skin.


 
-->

I love pumpkins. Pumpkins in my house, decorating my porch and yard, and in my kitchen. I love eating pumpkins--pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, pumpkin pie! Recently a Facebook friend sent me a recipe for the best pumpkin pancakes ever! The recipe is on Bettycrocker.com for Spicy Pumpkin Pancakes. Unfortunately, I can’t copy the recipe here without violating copyright, but it is easy to find. I’m definitely going to give these yummy treats a try! And when I think of pumpkins and pancakes I can’t help thinking of maple and pecans! Ooh, but I’m getting carried away.

Another fun time during the fall is the fair!! Every year I go to the state fair and binge on caramel apples, apple fritters, and pick up my annual jar of apple butter. Okay, are we beginning to see a pattern here? 

-->

Share with Ladyscribes! What is your favorite time of year? What do you look forward to each fall? What yummy foods consume you during this special time of year?

Love, 
Cynthia


Cynthia's books aren’t sweet and they aren’t for the faint of heart. 
Enjoy the Dark Seduction!

-->
Cynthia Cooke’s latest novel — Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies — is a riveting Romantic Thriller by Entangled’s Dead Sexy Books.  For a Sexy Thrill Ride -go to http://amzn.com/B0082ZE10U


Like Cynthia on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/cynthia.cooke.authorpage
And Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/CynthiaCooke5

-->
Acknowledgements:

(colorful leaves over water)
photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/brentdanley/1663969921/">brentdanley</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photo pin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/">cc</a>

(red leaves) photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/31246066@N04/5115966185/">Ian Sane</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photo pin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>

(Indian Apples) photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/seyyed_mostafa_zamani/4049052627/">seyed mostafa zamani</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photo pin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">cc</a>

(pumpkins) photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/tambako/500089629/">Tambako the Jaguar</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photo pin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">cc</a>

(Caramel Apples) photo credit: <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/fauxto_dkp/6128834208/">fauxto_digit</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photo pin</a> <a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.0/">cc</a>




23 comments:

  1. Autumn is my favorite season. I'm looking forward to apple picking and shopping for Halloween candy and decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids won't be here for Halloween this year, so I think for the first time every I'm going to skip all the decorations. But that doesn't mean I'll skip all my Harvest decorations, I just will keep the creepy stuff in the basement. ;)

      Delete
  2. I really like spring, which is the current season in Australia. Cool mornings, warmer days. Salads, BBQ's and boating. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be warm for boating! :) I must admit Spring here means pollen. I've never lived anywhere that has so much pollen!!

      Delete
  3. Autumn is definitely my favorite time of the year, too. I love the colors and the cool, crisp mornings that turn into beautiful days. I love the taste of apples, which are never as good any other time of the year, IMO. I'm looking forward to our annual family get together, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I have to share. Last year I discovered if you cut up a whole apple and put it in your oatmeal in the morning with a tablespoon of Apple butter and reheat in the microwave for 10 or 20 seconds it is SO GOOD! Yep, it's almost apple time! LOL!

      Delete
  4. It's still 103 degrees every day here--Texas tends to go from summer to winter and skips fall altogether. But my favorite thing to do this season...even when it's hot...is to take my daughter to a pumpkin patch. I've done so every year since she was three months old! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love that too. I'd go with their preschool classes and ride in the hay wagon thingies. Good times. Enjoy!! :)

      Delete
    2. You should be getting a week of fall weather...usually the week leading up to Thanksgiving, if my memory serves. LOL.

      Delete
  5. what a lovely pic, i love autumn season :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn is my second favorite season (spring being the first). I love the cool nights of sitting outside on my patio with a sweatshirt and fire in the firepit because it is finally cool enough to enjoy being outside. It is also the time of year I enjoy being out and driving because the trees are so beautiful. And, I am so ready for some apple cider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And scarves. I have a scarf addiction. :)

      Delete
  7. In Texas, my favorite season was always winter...because it was the only "season" in Texas that you PROBABLY wouldn't have to try to cool down from a 100 degree or more day. That's not to say we wouldn't have to run the air conditioner...we did. But maybe we'd get to run the heater some, too. And there was always the one ice storm a year that would mean school and work were cancelled.

    When I lived in Alaska, my favorite season was spring. The days got longer and lighter, the fireweed started to bloom, and everything came back to life. It was gorgeous.

    I'll have to wait and see what my favorite season in North Carolina will be. Can I answer this question next year? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine, you're so funny! After hearing all your comments about Texas, I know I wouldn't be happy there!! And Alaska just sounds sooo awesome. I just made another friend who lives there who also writes for Entangled. I can hear it calling me!! :) Pretty soon all the stores will be carrying mums. Mums are a huge part of fall in the south! :)

      Delete
  8. Autumn is my absolute favorite, hands down. ADORE the colors and scents of the season. Yesterday, I let the kids talk me into getting some of our fall/Halloween decorations down from the attic. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's time to get my fall wreath our of the basement and start burning my cinnamon pumpkin candles!! :)

      Delete
  9. Autumn...I love the colors, the crisp air, football, the World Series, Corn Mazes (in WI), the holidays and Veteran's Day...which happens to be my Birthday!! In Texas the only place we see the changing if the seasons, especially in a drought year, is at the Mall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you've reminded me of Corn Mazes. I did that once with the girl scout troops and it was such a kick in the pants. I've wanted to do it again every since and haven't. This year, I'm going to put it on my calendar. I think they have a haunted corn maze you can go through at night. I would LOVE that!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope - I refuse to acknowledge that it is fall. Give me another month, and I'll consider it, but right now in the Knightley household, it is still summer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm wishy washy. I like having all four seasons--especially here where the springs and autumns can be long and beautiful and the winters are mild!

    I'm ready for Fall this year. I'd like some comfortable time out in the yard and on the deck, love the pumpkins and leaves...soups and muffins and Halloween! Now I'm in the mood!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I live in southwest Florida, I look forward to cooler and fresher weather. Fall is our springtime here which means the stores are full of annuals and pretty flowers to plant. We can finally have our windows and lanai doors open. As it never gets really cold, we can go to the beach all winter. The water may not be warm enough for swimming, but it's wonderful to just sit on the beach, enjoy the sunshine and breezes and read a good book.

    There are some things that I miss though. I like to see the beautiful trees turning color and I would so love to munch on a candy or caramel apple. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to Fall Festivals, church homecomings, football games, and Halloween. And the weather is perfect!!!

    Fall and Spring are my favorite times of years. :)

    Great post, Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete