Our Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

It's the little things . . .

I'm a little stressed at the moment.

 I know that I'm just at the time of life that is busy and harried, but it's been a real kick in the pants these last few weeks.  Besides the normal chaos that accompanies the raising of two teenage boys, in the last little bit we've dealt with new jobs, new directions, one hospitalized parent, and a dead well.  As in, no water coming in.  For almost two weeks.  Let me tell you, you have no idea how easy running water makes your life until you have to start counting every drop that comes from the faucet!

But I'm not going to go on about that.  Instead I'm going to focus on what's helping.  Those little things that lighten the weight that seems to be pressing me down.  These are the things that are brightening my day, and just making me happy .  . .

1.  My new bench.  We picked it up right before the stuff hit the fan. . . and I've taken every moment I can out of the craziness to sit out on it, squeezing in a few pages or just enjoying the gorgeous weather we've been having here lately.




2. Lady Jane's Salon RDU.  A lot of you know that Ava and I are two of the directors of the Triangle branch of LJS.  Tonight we are celebrating our 1st anniversary!  An entire year of lifting up the genre of romance, bringing together writers, readers, librarians, booksellers, industry professionals, and anyone else who loves the genre.  Plus all proceeds go to some amazing charities.  It feels really great to be a part of that.



This pic is from last September, our very first LJS RDU.  And tonight our very own Lady Scribe Marquita will read from her debut and help us celebrate this special birthday!


3.  My friends.  You know who you are.  Thank you for listening, sympathizing, pulling me back and distracting me!



4.  This video.  My Eldest is one of the athletes in this little clip.  Yes, it's scary to let him do this.  Yes, he is exhausting at times.  But he's crazy smart and funny and full of passion.  And this turned out so well.


So there you have it, a few of the things that are getting me through!  Will you share some of the things that are making you happy right now?  They might help me or someone else too!

23 comments:

  1. A cup of tea out of a real teapot. Just the ritual is great for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that does sound soothing...a ritual with a nice warm payoff at the end, too. Thanks for sharing Julie! (Although I'm somewhat shocked there is no mention of Swiss chocolate! :-) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Deb. I can't even imagine having well "issues." I'm so glad you're making the best of it.

    Odd thing I've been doing lately...we're having nippy but sunny weather in ND now, and the sun beating down on my car makes it a toasty place to work (without the internet). So, I've been driving to a far corner of a little-used commercial parking lot, propping myself up with a slew of pillows in the back seat, and then writing with no interference from the hubby or the cats. It's been the highlight of my days for a couple of weeks. I think I'm falling in love with the privacy and warmth my car has to offer. Who would have thought??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate! When my kids were small, I used to write in my car all of the time. I'd kiss the dh and boys, get in and scoot around to the driveway at the back of our property. I'd sit there and work for a couple of hours, then drive back around to the house and the kids would never know! :-)

      Delete
  4. The first cup of coffee in the morning is my #1 stress reliever. I take a few moments all to myself, not thinking about all the things that are wrong and all the things I have to do that day. I just focus on drinking my cup of coffee. After that first one, then I can deal with the day.

    Another thing that helps relieve my stress is (things? are?) my cats. No matter what else is happening in the world, they will be just as they've always been. I know Dakota will wake me up the same way every morning. I know Kiki will be soaking up her sunbeams all morning long, hanging out on her favorite blankie. I know I'll have both cats helping me from their perch in the office in the afternoon. And I know Kiki will want to cuddle on the sofa in the evening, while Dakota will want to play fetch. Those little moments never change, and they help me to calm down and relax. :)

    And that video of your son? Holy cow. That is scary and crazy and amazing, all at the same time. I love it. I don't want to do it. But I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I love a quiet, peaceful bit of morning, myself. It just gets you in the right frame of mind.

      I'm so glad Kiki and Dakota are adjusting to the move!

      Delete
  5. Deb! Oh my goodness, that video! Congrats to you and your son-it's awesome!
    My relaxing doesn't come until the end of the day (unless kids are at school), when the little ones are in bed and the house is silent. Being a night owl, it's my favorite time.
    I'm sorry about your well! I can imagine how frustrating that is. Ack!
    I'll be missing everyone at LJS tonight, but I know it'll be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll miss you tonight, Andris! And relaxation time is the evening is just as fab! I like mine with a little mindless TV. And occasionally, rum. :-)

      Delete
  6. Deb,
    That video is so cool! That made my day. :)

    Let's see... The little pleasures in my life are the funny things my kids say. Seeing my nieces and nephew. Beautiful drives involved with my work. Oh, and chocolate wine! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those are all fab, Samantha! Chocolate wine? Okay, I usually stay away, but I may have to try that...

      Delete
  7. Haha, I was just thinking about that just a moment ago. I love today is sweater weather. I can put on my hoodie. That's right a hoodie. It doesn't matter what t-shirt I have on, because I have a hoodie. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that one, Melody! I feel the same way about comfy, stretchy pants. It's not cool enough here, just yet, but its always a little moment, that first day....And I'm all: "No, I'm doing yoga today, I'm writing! And I'm doing it in my stretchy pants!"

      Delete
    2. I"m NOT doing yoga, I meant to say..

      Delete
  8. Lately, the nicest part of my day has been relaxing in the scientist's hot tub. There is nothing nicer than warm, soothing water to help wash away the aches, pains, and frustrations of everyday life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeeessss! I should have included the hot tub! I loooove my hot tub!

      Were you in last night? The moon was so bright!

      Delete
  9. Right now I am happy because it's the first day of track-out for my kids and the tooth fairy visited the youngest for the first time ever last night. :)

    And I'm trying not to freak out about tonight's salon. I'm super excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to do awesome, Marquita! I can't wait to hear you read. :)

      Delete
    2. Youngest tracks out on Friday--he is happy! But his brother is on traditional schedule, which means no fall family vacay.. :-(

      I cannot wait until tonight! You are all going to rock--and I know you will be a fabulous reader!

      Delete
  10. The little things are making me happy right now, as I'm feeling as stressed as you, Deb! A new haircut, keeping the windows open to the chilly air at night, the boys playing together for almost an hour with no fights, reading a great book (Marina Adair's Tuckers Crossing) and writing a full chapter last night, when I've barely written in weeks. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your plethora of little things, Olivia! Missed you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coolest video ever! And love the new outdoor couch :-) BOO on the crappy water issue, but hopefully you are well on your way to water bounty :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Keep your fingers crossed for a geyser, Erin!

    ReplyDelete