Our Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lost and Found



My kids and I are planning our bucket list trip to find buried treasure. We’ve listed all the important things we’ll need for our trip, a list of possible places to go and now all we need to do is make a decision. The picture you see here is my youngest son on our last trip to the Cherokee reservation here in NC last year. We had a blast and learned quite a bit. What brought all this on? Well, we were discussing past vacations to ho-hum places like the beach or the mountains, and we decided that next year we’re totally going to blow the lid off our vacation and do something incredibly crazy: like search for buried treasure. How cool is that? I mean how many people can say they have done that?

Forget the fact that we’ve never done anything remotely exciting before in our lives, other than camping at boyscouts, and forget the fact that we have no clue what we’re searching for, we’re going for it. One way or another, we’re going to look for buried treasure.
Luckily, we have at least one of us who has done some kind of survival training in their lives. Hubby is ex Calvary in the military and I love his military speak. I mean how sexy is it when he answers me with a “negative,” or even when he’s spelling something out using the military phonetic alphabet. I love it. But I digress.
He’s trained in special operations stuff…mumbo jumbo…and luckily has taken control of the “what we need to survive in the wilds list.” Because obviously the hair dryer I put on my list to bring doesn’t quite fit with his idea of “roughing it.” Sigh. I’m not sure I like this idea anymore. But I’m optimistic here.
Do keep in mind I’ve only been out of my home state of NC a handful of times so any trip is a adventure for me. My kids are 20, 16, and 4 yrs old. All boys. So needless to say they’re all for the “roughing it” mantra that has sprung up in our conversations as of late. Me…not so much. I like to write about epic Viking journeys and Indiana Jones’ meets the Wild, Wild West stories but I don’t like to live them. So I’m letting you all know beforehand if I happen to keel over during next year’s vacation, you’ll all know exactly who to blame. *Points finger at the military drill sergeant who lives in my house.*
So where are we going? Well I just released my new book The Devil’s Defiance book two in the Devil Ryder series and it’s an Indiana Jones meets the Wild, Wild West story. I researched and fell in love with the legend of the “San Saba Mines.” So we’re discussing a trip to old San Antonio, definitely going to see the river walk, the Alamo, and while we’re there we’re going to search for buried treasure in Meynard county near the San Saba river. Of course, we really don’t expect to find anything but it’ll be fun just to go hiking near the river and pretend. I do have a fairly vivid imagination if I do say so myself.
What is the San Saba mine? A military expedition from Spain headed by one Lieutenant-General Don Bernado de Miranda was sent north from San Fernando (now known as San Antonio) to search for minerals and assess the strength of the local tribes. The slow moving expedition set up camp near Honey Creek and several of his men found a natural cave and cavern, discovering several thick veins of silver inside. While Miranda sent samples back to his superiors in San Fernando, the Presidio was built, as well as a mission, although Miranda was sent off to another military expedition before he could see his venture to fruition. Though it has never been confirmed legend has it that the Spanish missionaries started the extracting and smelting of the ore without Spain’s approval. And so the legend begins. On the morning of March 16th, 1758 the mission was attacked by a large force of Comanche Indians, burning it to the ground. The Presidio was manned by only a small number of men and were incapable of sending help. So the secrets of the San Saba mine are forever lost to time. There are more rumors that the cave has been found and lost several times over the years, once in the 1830’s, again in 1878 by a drifter named Medlin, and once more in 1887 as you can read here in a New York Times article written in June 18th 1887.
The history is fascinating behind this little mystery and hundreds, perhaps thousands of treasure hunters, geologists, prospectors and adventurers have searched for the lost mine. So you can imagine that little old me, three rowdy boys, one drill sergeant and a tiny three-legged Shih-tzhu will likely never find the cave. But! We’re happy to go exploring, camping, and just plain searching out the wonders of history while we try. I’ll be sure to take lots of pics. But as of now we’re still in the planning stages of our trip and the drill sergeant has a heck of a fight if he thinks for one rotten, stinkin’ second that I am not going to find somewhere to camp where I can have a decent shower because I am!
Now while I’m still in a good mood about this future trip I’m going to give away one print copy of The Devil’s Daughter and one digital copy of the new book The Devil’s Defiance to one lucky commenter who leaves their email! Hopefully, drill Sergeant won’t ruin my mood before the day is out lol.
Here’s a blurb of The Devil’s Defiance out today and I hope you enjoy my ragged, hair pulling, planning of a future-trip that is looking less and less likely as a go. So tell me what is the most unusual family trip you’ve ever taken and how far in advance did you plan? I’m not certain an entire year is enough for this one.


New York City Lawyer Garret Ryder takes the law into his own hands when a vicious killer gets away with murdering his family. Nothing will stop him from delivering the justice denied him by the law he vowed to uphold. But when the killer kidnaps a judge’s daughter, his childhood sweetheart, he must decide if any price is too high to exact revenge.
San Antonio socialite Sophia Maria Osbourne doesn’t trust easily. With a dirty politician and a blackmailing judge for a father, she learned not to rely on anyone but herself. But when her father’s shady dealings lead to her kidnapping, she must place her faith in the man who stole her heart long ago, if she hopes to survive.


17 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new release, Suzie! How exciting!

    Your vacation idea sounds exciting too. San Antonio is a great place to visit. The River Walk is gorgeous. I'm not an experienced camper, so I'd be a little nervous about the treasure hunt, but it sounds like great fun!

    We've done Disney World with the kids, and gone on a cruise. One of our favorites was Cozumel, where we went rock climbing, zip lining and snorkling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deb! Oh, the rock climbing, zip lining and snorkeling is something still on my to-do list! I'd love to go to Disney World! Sounds like a blast! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your new release! And going treasure hunting sounds like an absolute blast. I love that you're going to go to the actual mines you wrote into the story to see if you can find something. If you need any suggestions on what else to do in the San Antonio area, just holler. I love San Antonio. And I have family who live in Menard. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine, I'm really excited about this one. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Alamo the most. I've heard you can still see the bullet holes in the walls. We're planning to go see the Presidio ruins and then see if there are hiking trails around the area. It should be a lot of fun! I'll definitely look you up for your expertise of the area soon!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new release Suzie. The cover is gorgeous!

    I've never been to San Antonio, but hope to go when RWA has their national conference there. :)

    Treasure hunting sounds like something my kids would love to do, along with my husband. Maybe we should do that when the kids track out of school? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marquita! My only hope for this trip is that I don't strangle the hubby while we're on it, lol. He's dead set for roughing it. He says "If you're going to go camping, do it the way it was meant to be done." Ugh, what year is this?? Men! If you do plan a trip I hope the planning of yours goes much easier than mine has so far. lol. Thanks for stopping by,

      Delete
  4. Congratulations!!! I know it's going to be another fun adventure. I love Indiana Jones!

    I think the vacation my kids liked best was the Weezer cruise we took last year. We haven't done a lot of big vacations with them, but we're trying to do more before our son graduates from high school. I want to take them to the Bad Lands. It's not very far for us to drive, and everyone says it's beautiful.

    My husband and I have taken a few trips together, usually associated with a professional conference. My two favorite things we did were renting a motorcycle and exploring Oahu and riding bikes across the Golden Gate Bridge. It was also fun exploring NYC a couple of years ago, but I didn't have enough free time to do more things I wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha, you know that sounds so romantic to me. Bike riding across the Golden Gate Bridge? Oh, that's going on my bucket list of vacations too. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. I'm also hoping to go to San Antonio in 2013 for the conference. So, if you live in NC, I hope you and your sons have been gem mining. NC is full of old mines and if you're near one, check it out. Lots of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, yes we've been to several over the years and love it. There's a Reed's gold mine an hour or so away from us which we plan to go to this year as a matter of fact. I can't wait and it's not really that expensive. That's the best part of visiting local sites lol. Thanks for stopping in Connie! Be sure to leave your email address if you want to be entered into the drawing!

      Delete
  6. What a fun idea!!!! Good luck, happy hunting and I'm glad it's not me :) I'm not a camper (if it doesn't have 4 walls, air conditioning and indoor plumbing there's no point). But I really admire your idea to do something different and fun :)

    efender1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and congrats on the new release!

      Delete
    2. Hi Erin! Ahh well the roughing it isn't exactly my idea and it's still hasn't been determined that we're going to try that. However I have been camping several times but I like to use the campsites with showers, electricity and all of the amenities that provide my comfort lol. Hubby on the other hand is the camping extremists. Thank you for swinging by! And good luck!

      Delete
  7. Oh, wow, Suzie! That sounds like so much fun. (Well, not the roughing it bit - I'm kinda spoiled) I bet you, the three rowdy boys and the drill sergeant will have the BEST stories to relate after your treasure-huntin' vacation next summer.

    Good luck! (And if you find the silver... you know, how much I love you, right?) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOLOL!! Ava!! I'm still not sold on the "roughing it" part. Hubby and I are currently agreeing to disagree lol. You'' be the first one I call when I find the silver lol. =P

      Delete
  8. Nothing unual trips. However, I'm sure there is plenty of time for one to come up. However, I have to be prepare to go on any trip, because I never know when my husband will get the itch to travel.

    countessofamar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to travel more, Melody. Hopefully I'll be able to do that more in the coming years. Sounds like you're used to picking up and traveling a lot. Thanks for stopping in! And good luck!

      Delete