Our Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Rolling back the years

What will I wear today? Ok, maybe not exactly today. Today, I’m frantically busy putting the final touches on my next regency release, Forsaking the Prize, and clothing is pretty low on my priorities. Don’t fret, am I decent but honestly, no one should to see me right now. I’m overdue for some me time. I’m having Fringe (bangs?) issues.
But I’ve been considering adding a special frock to my wardrobe for a while. I love pretty gowns. Years ago, I used to sit up watching the American Awards shows, not for the TV shows or Movies, but for the gorgeous gowns on the red carpet. I had lots of favorites and pet hates at those things. I love simple elegance and hate floofy meringues.

fripperiesandfobs:

Dress ca. 1800-05
From Cora Ginsburg LLC
There is a wonderful blogger/author Leslie-Ann McLeod who posts regency gown images all the time via twitter and her blog/tumblr. I usually favorite them as inspiration for my next heroine’s social life and keep wishing I could see one up close. This gown is one of my favorites, although yellows don’t really suite me. However, I love the detail on the sleeves and hem. Which brings me to my next big project.

Guess what came in the mail this week. Ta Da!


The pattern looks relatively easy, although I’ve never been particularly good at fitting myself. May have to enlist mum’s help (she can sew circles around me).



This could either be really good for my stress levels or the absolute worst. Before I can start, I need to decide style (day or evening wear), check the pattern will actually fit me, then find and choose fabric that hopefully will be close to period appropriate.

Have you ever made a period costume? If so, I’d love to hear any tips you care to share. I’ll update my progress on the gown next month.

Until then. Wish me luck.

Heather Boyd
Lady Wicked

10 comments:

  1. I've worn one, but never made one. I am not a gifted seamstress. My husband says I am a Glue Girl.

    If I could sew, though, I'd try it along with you--what a fun project! Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with having a steady hand with the glue. Comes in handy for Easter Bonnet Parades. LOL Thanks for your best wishes. I'll need it.

      Delete
  2. Good luck with it, Heather! I'm like Deb, but I'll add staples to that! Ha! Can't wait to see how the gown turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jerrica. Just realized I'll need a lot more pins than I actually own. Hmmm, shopping trip!!!

      Delete
  3. Heather,
    How exciting! I didn't know you could sew. I mess up a straight seam, so there's no way I would ever be able to make a gown. But I know a very talented seamstress and I've always wanted a regency gown, too. I should find a pattern and have her make a gown for me for RT next year. Where did you get your pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done a lot of sewing recently. Boys don't really care to wear stuff that mom made. LOL Although when my youngest saw the dress pattern, he's requested an anime costume. Something similar to Errol Flynn as Robin Hood.

    Sense and Sensibility sent the one above. They have a whole range of patterns, but there are other places, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am proud to state that I can sew...buttons. Yep, that's right. I have sewn a grand total of ONE button in my life. That's about the extent of it.

    Someday, I might pay someone to make a gown like that for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun!! I would love to do a project like that some day. I am better at crocheting than sewing, but I might be able to make it work (ala Tim Gunn, lol). Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful seamstresses run in my family - unfortunately I'm not one of them!

    My grandmother used a trundle sewing machine and not to save electricity but because it had been her mother's before her and why spend money on something you already have! My mother on the other hand started out with a Singer and bought every new addition they ever made and gave one each to both my sisters whom she taught to sew.

    I on the other hand learned in "Home Ec" class in Junior High and from then on was self-taught (poorly self-taught - if I were the boss I would have fired myself).

    When my sons were babies through toddler age I made all their clothes but then they still had fabric stores back then. I'm still trying to find a place now just to buy a spool of thread much less fabric! According to my husband (after he looked at some old pictures of my sons) it's probably a good thing!

    I think I'll stick to knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather I couldn't sew on a button if I tried so I'm not even going to try but I'd love to see the finished product when you're done! Good luck! I know you'll create something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete