Our Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Don’t be Afraid…




-->

“I talk to dead people.” 
Five little words and they strike terror into your heart.  Your mind immediately flashes to a scared little boy desperate for help and you tense, just a little.  Ahhh, scary stories.  How I love them.  And that’s why I love writing Paranormal Romance.  Not only can we write scintillating stories that get our blood pumping, but throw a hot guy in there to ride to the rescue and life is good.
One of my stories, Black Magic Lover, is set deep in a Louisiana swamp where things definitely go bump in the night.  We have voodoo magick and creepy stalkers and, yes, a hero who can see dead people.  Even though he wishes to God he didn’t.  And what’s worse, he can see those touched by Death’s decrepit hand himself.  Those who are about to die.
Just thinking about it gives me chills.   What gives you chills? How about a cemetery where all the graves are above ground, a swamp so thick with algae, even the trees stand up on their knees.  A house so old, the wood creaks and groans, begging for release.  And yet, people live there.  People thrive there.  And you have to wonder, how?  Why?  What secrets are locked away behind their dark doors?
Ahhh, yes, I love Louisiana.  Love the swamps.  The history.  The exotic mysticism.  And, of course, New Orleans.   Birthplace of Lestat, the Witches of Mayfair, and so many other wonderful titillating tales. 
What are your favorite scary stories?  What keeps you up at night?  What has you turning the pages because you’re afraid to turn out the lights? 
Afraid to breathe….


-->
Cynthia Cooke is an award-winning, multi-published author who has published 11 books and short stories for Harlequin/Silhouette and Steeple Hill. Her latest novel, Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies was one of the launch books for Entangled Publishing’s Romantic Suspense line Dead Sexy Books. Cynthia lives in North Carolina with her husband and three teenage kids. She has a deep affection for horror movies, thrillers and all things that go bump in the night. And in the South with its thick woods, creepy crawlers and graveyards haunting every corner, there is a lot of bumping to stir the imagination. Cynthia is best known for writing page-turners that will keep her readers up late into the night.  So if you choose to take that ride into the dark, don’t forget to turn on the lights. Cynthia Cooke’s books aren’t sweet and they aren’t for the faint of heart. 
Enjoy the Dark Seduction.
Connect with Cynthia at: Her Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

11 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia! I LOVE all things that go bump in the night. I love to be scared (until I'm actually scared, then I wish I hadn't done it). I'm probably the lone weirdo, but supernatural things don't scare me much as the likelihood of becoming a vamp meal is low. However, people scare my hair straight. Too many nuts running around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Andris! Which is why I'm LOVING writing romantic thrillers. Nothing like a twisted terrorist or serial killer to get the blood pumping!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia ~ I grew up on old Vincent Price movies, sitting next to my grandfather on the sofa. I think what scares me the most are real life bad guys. The Ted Bundys, Jeffrey Dahmers, John Wayne Gacys of the world.

    I loved last year's American Horror Story. For those who haven't seen it, last year's season all took place in a haunted house and the opening of each episode showed someone, at one time or another, being killed in the house (which explained all the ghosts inhabiting the walls). Anyway, this one episode started out with student nurses living in the house who were slaughtered. It reminded of the real life story of Richard Speck (which may be the most horrific story I know, when I think about the one nurse who escaped him.) Anyway... I watched the episode, turned out the lights and tried to go to sleep. But I kept hearing sounds all over the house. Now the show didn't have me all creeped out, it was the fact that Richard Speck's story was still playing around in my mind.

    I checked all the doors. I made sure the alarm was still set. And still, I heard sounds ALL over the house. It wasn't the cat who was snoring on the bed beside me, or the dog who was lying in the backyard. But I was most definitely hearing something, and I was scared to death. I barely got to sleep around 3am, and have to wake up at 5. (Not a good day for me.)

    When I left the house early the next morning to take my son to school, there were acorns ALL over the yard, my front stoop, the walkway, my car. So I really was hearing sounds all night. Acorns dropping on my roof and then rolling to the ground.

    So to answer your question... Acorns scare me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! That is so true and hysterical!! And yes, the pit and the pendulum was my favorite growing up. I love spooky gothics. ;D

      Delete
  4. Well, I happen to love Halloween...but I am not a fan of being scared. LOL. I don't watch scary movies. I don't read things that I think might make me feel tense from fear. My sisters convinced me to go with them to a haunted house last year, but I regretted it almost instantly. I spent the entire time wishing I was at home. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a little twisted. I love love love haunted houses. And I've scarred my daughter for life by making her watch IT with me when she was little. Now she can't handle clowns at all. I'm the one who went to graveyards to drink beer when I was a teenager.

      Delete
    2. If I go into a haunted house, all I can think about is how it would be the perfect setting for a murder. The victim probably wouldn't try to run until it was too late, because he/she would think the ax or chainsaw was fake. How twisted does that make me??? I creep myself out all the time, but I like it. LOL

      Delete
  5. One of the scariest movies scenes I remember was from an old black and white vampire movie. My dad was watching it and I wasn't supposed to be. ;) These old guys were going down to a crypt to stab one of their daughters who'd died and been entombed. They open the crypt and she isn't there and then they are attacked. I screamed like the little girl I was. To this day I can't stand to watch the old B&W vamp movies.

    They could do suspense without the special effects.

    I love to look around spooky old houses, as long as there are other people there. Curious I guess. I like looking at old stuff, but I'm not going into a haunted house by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real serial killers scare me, too, but the fictional Trinity Killer from Dexter made it where I couldn't sleep one night. The season premier showed him forcing a lady to jump to her death. I'm terrified of heights, so that's a bad combo - kill + a very tall abandoned building.

    The Exorcist freaked me out, too. I screamed when someone sent me a picture of the possessed girl that popped up on my computer screen. And then I was really, really mad!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love/hate scary movies, especially gore-fests. I like being scared, like screaming and jumping, but the blood and guts...yeah not so much.

    ReplyDelete