Our Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Are you living with passion?


MY RELEASE DAY IS HERE!!!!!

I don’t mean the heart pounding, stomach fluttering kind that comes from the person you love giving you the right look or brushing their hand against yours. What I’m talking about is passion for your work? 

You know―the thing you get up every day and do, unless of course you are a trust fund baby. I find most people I talk to don’t love what they do every day. They do it simply because it pays the bills.

I’ve blogged before about how my father and husband are two of the luckiest people I know because they both genuinely love their jobs. I’ve been on both ends of the spectrum. I have punched the proverbial clock and hated every minute of it. I have watched the long hand tick by and literally willed the day to go faster. I have had a job that I liked that I thought I could possibly do for the rest of my life, but then I discovered writing.

Writing is my passion. The written word is my lover. Shh…don’t tell my husband. 

My father-in-law often says the law is a jealous mistress. Well, writing is a jealous lover. When I am away from my keyboard I feel the pull to be back at work almost as if I am thirsty and creating stories is the only thing that will quench my thirst. I could write every single day of my life and never get bored of it. I love it that much.

I constantly have stories popping up in my head, and I often have to force myself to concentrate on conversations going on around me and pull my head out of the Regency and Paranormal cloud I’m liable to find myself in. I am so grateful I found my passion, and I wish everyone I know could with their passion too. I realize I am lucky to pursue my dream of writing. I know that not everyone has this opportunity. Although, I do suspect some people may have the opportunity, but are too afraid to take it.

My challenge to you today is to Seize the day! Carpe diem! If you are not working your dream job ask yourself what it would be and is there any way you could possibly make a change? Maybe you could work your dream job on the side until you could pursue it full time or maybe you could take a leap of faith and do what’s necessary to grasp your dream. 

One of my favorite characters in my novel BARGAINING WITH A RAKE is my heroine’s aunt. Auntie or Aunt Millicent lives life with the utmost passion. She lets no one stand in the way of what she wants to achieve. Here is a little scene where she’s letting her opinion be known to my hero and heroine.

Aunt Millicent was staring hard at Alex. What on earth was her aunt up to? “Lord Lionhurst, why is it that you are approaching the age of …”
“Three and twenty,” Alex supplied.
“…And you are not married?”
“Auntie, please,” Gillian scolded.
“Luck, I suppose.” He offered the answer with a casual shrug and a wink in Gillian’s direction. Her stomach fluttered in response.
Auntie smacked his arm and served him a scowl. “Be serious, young man.”
His eyes flicked to Gillian and held hers. “I asked a woman to marry me when I was but a green boy of eighteen. She taught me that women prefer titles to love.”
“A foolish woman,” Aunt Millicent murmured. “You seem to attract foolish women, Lord Lionhurst.”
Gillian blinked at her aunt’s cool, green gaze, which was not focused on her. “Must you speak so plainly?” Gillian moaned, rolling her eyes heavenward.
“I must.”
Judging by the chuckle Auntie’s response drew from Alex, her aunt had failed to shock him with her bluntness.
“Your uncle loved my direct nature. He always said so. Since he passed, I strive to practice it every day.”
“Oh, I daresay it’s perfected, Aunt. You are as direct as the straightest line.”
“Lord Lionhurst, do you love direct women?”
“I love a woman who knows what she wants and goes after it.”
She should not look at him. She should murmur an excuse and hurry away. Leave her aunt and Alex to this pointless banter. But she did look. His eyes held hers, and she was sure he had been speaking of her, and she was once again inexcusably pleased.
“Well,” Auntie said. “You’re rather handsome. Maybe you’ll yet meet a woman who wants you.”
“That’s unlikely,” he said. “Unfortunately, I have deficiencies in my character that appear to be irreparable”
“Such as?”
“Well for one, I’m not American.”
Auntie pierced Gillian with an assessing look. “In my experience, the best laid plans usually somehow go astray and lead the planner down a far better path.”

I hope you enjoyed this little excerpt. Today is release day for me! BARGAINING WITH A RAKE is the first book in my WHISPER OF SCANDAL series that is up for sale. I'm so excited because this moment is part of living my passion.

If you  would like to check it out it's at Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Bargaining-Whisper-Scandal-Novel-ebook/dp/B00A333VF0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1352292142&sr=8-9&keywords=julie+johnstone
  
 It will be available everywhere else ebooks are sold very soon!

If you could do whatever you wanted for your job what would you do?
Go forth and cease the day!
Julie Johnstone, The Marchioness of Mayhem

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Julie! I am one of those working the day job (which I don't particularly enjoy) until I can write full time. But, the light is at the end of the tunnel. One day I will be able to stay home and write to my hearts content because like you, I have stories lined up in my head waiting to be written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane,
    I know you will. Your stories are amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrts on the release, great erxecpt and love the cover too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Julie! I too feel like I have found my dream job in writing and I feel that pull to get back to it when I take a break. I'm glad you've found your passion and that your dreams are coming true. Best wishes for much success:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Meda! Best wishes to you as well! I know you'll be successful!

      Delete
  5. Julie,
    I'm very excited to read it! I'm working my dream job on the side right now. Writing is also my passion. I love a lot of things about my hospice job, too, but office politics often ruins it for me. My patients, however, are amazing. It will be hard to give them up when the time comes, but I definitely plan to write full time at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha,
      I have a feeling you bring passion to whatever you do!

      Delete
  6. Julie, I am SO SO excited for you and your new release! I know it will be wildly successful :)

    As for living my passion...I am very fortunate that I get to do just that! After years of working jobs I hated, my husband and I formed a technology company that became very successful. Eric pulled the weight of the majority of the household until my books took off, and now we're just living the dream. Working from home (or the beach) for half the day, and spending the rest of the day with our daughter. It's pretty dreamy, but it took a MAJOR leap of faith. Leap and the ledge will appear!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jerr,
    I love that last line! Leap and the edge will appear! We should make t-shirts or dare I say a book titled this? Idea is forming - call me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I feel like someone else said it, but I googled it and nothing came up. Maybe *I* said it and I just can't remember. Not out of the realm of possibility!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I could work anywhere I liked, it would be with books. Maybe at a publisher, a book store or a library. When I see a book, I automatically smile because they make me happy. Books are beautiful and contain the hard work of an author somewhere who is hoping that you like their work. How wonderful is that?

    I'm always so happy when I meet someone who truly loves what they do for a living. It shows in their entire personality and the way they live their life. For instance, my son has finally latched onto his perfect job where he is always challenged, gets to work from home and ends up working very long hours. But, he loves the job and the fact that he can wear shorts all day every day. :-)

    In my career, I have had some jobs where I literally counted the minutes until I could leave for the day. Then, I got a much better position with lots of responsibility and I was quite content. Even though I was still ready to leave for home at the end of the day, at least I felt as though I had accomplished something meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy for you and your son, Connie! Thanks for sharing that with me!

      Delete
  10. Congrats, Julie! I am so happy for you! And wish you nothing but success! Being able to write is such a dream job. But I think I'd love to be a product tester of some kind. Maybe for chocolate but only if I couldn't gain weight from eating it. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny, Marquita! I've often said I wouldn't mind being a wine taster!

      Delete
  11. I just love this book, Julie :-) Big congrats on your publication, and best of luck!!
    As for my job, writing is a jealous lover and a fickle b*tch, but I wouldn't want to do anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither would I! Thanks for the sweet compliment!

      Delete
  12. Congrats, Julie!!! I'm so excited for you! And I think I told you before, but in case I didn't, I love that cover!!! I probably shouldn't choose a career path today because I'm in a sour mood and I'd pick something violent. And messy. ;} Tehee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Put the violence in those kick butt books of yours!

      Delete