Our Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Let's Talk Turkey!

Turkey Day approacheth, people! Hard to believe our national day of thanks is just over a week away. Does anyone else feel like the years are getting shorter and shorter?? Or maybe it's just because I have a toddler that I feel that way!

Ah, well...there's nothing for it. Thanksgiving will be here next week and I've got to get ready! My sister and her family are coming to us this year for a beachy-keen Thanksgiving! I've never hosted a major holiday, so I'm super psyched. But there's still so much to do! We just got our dining room table, but we only have two chairs. None of our artwork is up, and I'm out of town until Thursday of this week. I have from Thursday to Sunday to get everything done, so wish me luck!
Clockwise from Top Left:
Broccoli Casserole, Sweet Potato Casserole,
Brown&Serve Rolls

But the one thing I know we have nailed is the Thanksgiving menu. My sister and I agree, our traditional menu is the way to go. It's the same one we'll have for Christmas too, because that's just how we roll. Everyone has the dish or dishes that they MUST have for a fulfilling (or maybe just filling) Thanksgiving. It reminds me of that Friends episode where everyone makes Monica make several different kinds of mashed potatoes, because Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same if they didn't have them the way they had them growing up. Something I can totally relate to.

So, here's our menu, because I know you're all just dying to know what we're eating on Turkey Day...

Turkey (obviously!)
Broccoli Casserole (this is my personal favorite)
Sweet Potato Casserole (everybody loves this one)
Mashed Potatoes (I prefer the boxed ones, and yes, I know that makes me weird, but the threat of lumps in real MPs scares me off)
Stuffing (Stove Top, please!)
Gravy 
Corn (like real Pilgrims!)
Brown n Serve Rolls (screw being gluten-free...I'll happily be bloated and uncomfortable for BnS rolls!)
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie

What my first helping usually looks like

What about you?? What are you eating on Thanksgiving Day? What is the one dish you MUST have on Turkey Day (or if you're not from the US, any major holiday)?

Whatever you eat, wherever you are...I wish all our readers a very Happy Thanksgiving!

21 comments:

  1. My grandmother always made egg noodles to go with the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy. They are very time intensive, taking40 minutes or so of constant stirring to get them right. But my sister and I love to have them because they taste like our childhood!

    However, since I always have to host, I make her stir! This year, though, I think we should recruit one of the kids...

    I hope your first Thanksgiving in your new home is fabulous, Jerrica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, egg noodles! How interesting! They sound yummy :) and I'm all about out sourcing, so I say hand it off to a kid! Lol!

      Delete
  2. Must haves (in addition to almost everything you listed): Green Bean casserole and cranberry sauce. I am the only person who eats the cranberry sauce, but I don't care. Actually, I am not sure you can call it sauce. My mom forgot to make the cranberries one year when I was really young and ran to the store and got the canned version. I loved it so ever since, there is always a can for me. It is the only day of the year I eat it but Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without canned shaped cranberry sauce :).

    Enjoy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, my sis does green bean for a bigger crowd, but she's really the only who likes it. And only recently have I started to entertain the idea of cranberry sauce. Guess my buds are changing!!

      Delete
  3. Pecan pie is the only MUST for me. We haven't had Thanksgiving with my family for the last 15 years, since we moved. No one in my husband's family makes pecan pie like my mom, and someone else usually wants to make the pies. Last year I insisted on making pecan and pumpkin pie, because that's too long to go without the "right" kind of pecan pie. Yes, there is a right and wrong way to make it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm! I looooove pecan pie, Samantha!!! I've never met one I didn't like, but I'm sure yours would wow me!! (Hint, hint ;))

      Delete
  4. Jerrica ~ It's so strange you'd ask this question. Just last night I decided *not* to do Thanksgiving this year. I mean all that cooking...

    Kidding. It's not the cooking that has me re-thinking this particular holiday (even though it is well documnented that I am not great in the kitchen). It's the fact that I won't have my son this year, and my scientist won't have his daughter this year. So we're thinking about escaping to the mountains for a retreat. (And so I can finish the book I'm working on without interruption.)

    I'm sure we'll just eat sandwichy type foods in a cabin somewhere, enjoy the leaves, and... oh, yeah... write that book.

    But in a *normal* year... Turkey, mashed potatoes (not from a box... but I hate skins), gravy, tart cranberry sauce (not from a can), greenbean casserole (with chowmein noddles on the top instead of onions because... onions = yuck!), pumpkin pie and cherry pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving, Ava!! So relaxing!!! You should head to Asheville and tour the Biltmore too!! I'm sure it would provide some inspiration for that book you're trying to finish :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I used to hate turkey until I found Alton Brown's recipe. Changed my life! Now hubby and I eagerly await the big day, visions of turkey leftovers for a week floating through our heads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I just looked it up and bookmarked it. We rarely have leftover turkey since someone else usually hosts, so I think I'll make a turkey just for us this year. :)

      Delete
    2. ooh! I'll have to look that up too! Ya know...I didn't like turkey much as a kid, but I like it much more as an adult. Still, Thanksgiving is more about the sides than Sir Tom :)

      Delete
  7. My mother in law makes the best cheese grits. Even though I didn't grow up with them, they are now a Thansgiving must-have. And cranberry sauce! Not the jellied kind, the whole berry kind. Happy Thanskgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This year, I have decided to forego the whole turkey and cook pieces. All year, my husband and I have turkey legs or turkey thighs once a week and they're so good. So, I'm fixing a bunch of legs, thighs and a turkey breast. I think the meat turns out more juicy and tender this way. Of course, broccoli casserole is a must. I may make a little dressing, some mashed potatoes, gravy and fresh cranberries with oranges. Add to that some biscuits and butter and we're stuffed for a little while. I have always been the pie maker and I love to make them. Everyone likes pumpkin and apple pies which I make all the time. However, they are not necessarily my favorites, and I'm thinking of making a pecan pie this year for ME. How's that for selfish? It will only be the two of us, two of our children and two grandchildren so we really don't need a lot of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I always love seeing people at amusement parks eating those giant turkey legs -- I love to think of your family sitting around the Thanksgiving table chowing down Henry VIII style :)

      And I totally think it's a great idea to make yourself a pecan pie. Feel free to whip one up for me too! LOL!

      Delete
  9. Jerrica,

    You are making me sooo hungry with your pictures and talk of food. YUM!!! My favorite Turkey Day food is Deviled Eggs. I think I could eat a million of those things. Well, not a million, but so good. And I love eating mashed potatoes with gravy and yeast rolls.

    Hurry Up Thanksgiving. (But not really b/c time's flying by too fast as it is, :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time IS flying too fast, but I'm SO hungry for Turkey Day food too, Marquita! And I love Deviled Eggs too, though I think of those as summer picnic food more than Thanksgiving food. But that's what I love about this -- hearing everyone's customs and traditions!

      Delete
  10. I have to have sweet potatoes, and of course pumpkin pie. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet potatoes and pumpkin pies are favorites of mine too, Barbara! Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without them!

      Delete
  11. I don't celebrate thanksgiving but i celebrate chinese new year and my mom will cook chinese food :)

    ReplyDelete