Our Pages

Friday, November 16, 2012

My Favorite Apps


by Marquita Valentine


Screenshot of my Google Play for Droid



Lately, I've been on an App binge, downloading, all willy-nilly, games that look fun. Some of them I downloaded to my phone merely for the eye-catching cover while the others were based on recommendations from my friends.

(Kinda funny how we all buy products that way. )

Anyway, after nearly a month, I've complied my favorite Apps that I (and my family) like to play:

1. Angry Birds~ Does it sound weird that I want to call this the Grandfather of Game Apps?

2. Fruit Ninjas~ You slice and dice without a soul actually seeing you do it (not really, but hey, NINJAS!)

3. Paper Toss- Yes, tossing virtual paper into a virtual "trashcan" is an actual game. Upside: No wasted paper IRL*

4. Bad Piggies~ Admittedly, I have no idea how to play this one. It makes my head hurt, but the kids and Hot Builder are fans.

5. Scramble with Friends-Who wouldn't want to challenge Facebook friends all over the world to put a smack down on their spelling skillz? Confession: I am dreadful at this one, but I'm addicted. So, I play. And lose. A LOT.

6. Facebook~Not a Game, but it's an App that's regularly used and it's total game of chance whose profile I can actually see. ;)

7. Kindle- I make it a game. It's called: Let's see how many pages I can read in Carpool Line before I get to the kids.

8. Twitter~Again not a game, until you're sitting at home and create drinking games based on things characters say or repeat while you and your fellow Tweeps watch the same TV Show. At the same time. Aaawwwwessssooommmeee. <G>

So there you have it. My top Apps. Care to share any of yours? Also, anyone else want a clean my house App? Heck, I'd settle for one that did my laundry....







*IRL = In Real Life

24 comments:

  1. Marquita ~ I was just introduced to Fruit Ninjas this week. LOL!

    It's not a game, but one of my favorite apps is ANGRY SCOT. There are probably a 100 things the Angry Scot says. And there is something hilarious about hearing a Scotsman lost his temper. It makes me giggle every time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my word, Ava!!! I *must* download ANGRY SCOT. *zooms off* BTW can it be set as a ring tone?

      Delete
    2. Never heard of ANGRY SCOT, but I'm on this like a hooker on a trucker!

      Delete
    3. LOL. I have no idea if it can be set as a ring tone. I might be afraid to do that. Depending on where you are when your phone goes off, you might get some strange looks.

      And - Andris - you *do* so have a way with words, dear. :)

      Delete
  2. I lost my phone a few weeks ago and am in the process of rebuilding my apps. What is sad is I can't remember all the apps I thought I was addicted to - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noes, Jane. I hate that you lost your phone, but I'm glad that my post was so timely. Hopefully, my apps and the ones everyone will suggest will help you rebuild!

      Delete
  3. I love Pandora radio. It's probably the most used app on my phone. I also use FB a lot. It's easier to use on my phone than twitter. I also like Flixster to quickly see what movies are in my area and showtimes. I'm not crazy about the GPS navigation app I bought, at least not for where I live. It worked fine in Chicago, but there are too many hills and valleys for it to work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha ~ Flixter is awesome. I use that every weekend. :) Remember the days you had to look up listings in a newspaper? I can't remember the last time I picked up a newspaper.

      Delete
    2. I've never used Pandora on my phone. On my laptop--all the time. I'll have to check out Flixster. A great accompaniment to that is RunPee. Yep, you guess it, the app tells you when it's safe to take a potty break during a movie. ;)

      Delete
    3. Ava, what's this newspaper thing you speak of? ;p

      Delete
    4. Pandora was the first thing I made sure was working as soon as I got the new phone. Can't believe I forgot about that.

      Delete
  4. I don't play any of the games myself, but the kids love Angry Birds and Minecraft. I Use twitter and facebok. I recently joined a 12 step group to wean myself off both. (Just joking).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, is there an app for that 12-Step group? heh.

      Delete
  5. *Raises hand* My name is Andris and I'm addicted to Words with Friends. I play with two people consistently. My other challengers, er, players quit inviting me to play because I can be...oh, what's that word? ...AGGRESSIVE. Yes, definitely aggressive. Not psychotic. *cough*
    I took Angry Birds off my phone because my son is a pillaging MENACE, running off with my phone when I'm not looking. Or badgering (he's a bear, not a badger!) me until I throw my phone at him with an, "Here! Take it! I hope it blows up in your hands!"
    I play Scramble as well, but one of my friends on that game whoops me fierce. Grr....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't played Words with Friends. Maybe I should, but big secret no longer: I SUCK AT THOSE GAMES! I barely can play Wheel of Fortune. I'm screaming out R, ask for a R and the word ends up being Nelson or something....

      Delete
  6. Since I only have a "Barbie" phone, I don't get to use any Apps unless I get to "play" with my hubby's iPad. On there, I enjoy mahjong, word search and some Angry Birds. I play Mahjong Solitaire on my computer and am really hoping that these games help keep the old Alzheimer's away! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, I love those games you listed. Another favorite of mine is Bejeweled, though I haven't dl for my phone.

      I think playing games that require strategy keeps all of our brains young. ;)

      Delete
    2. I have heard a lot about Bejeweled and I must try it. My husband just insisted that I get myself a Kindle Fire (I have the first generation one). He knows how much I adore playing games and I cannot wait to get that game and more when I get the Fire. I play games when we're watching TV. Yes, I can do both at the same time. I cannot stand to be idle in any way! Thanks so much for the recommendation!

      Delete
    3. You're welcome, Connie. I hope you get a chance to download and enjoy. :)

      Delete
  7. Wireless phone company is dropping my phone so now hubby and I are looking at new plans. I'll either get a new smartphone or a cheap phone.

    But on my android, I love the new Star Wars Angry Birds. Never got into the Bad Piggies because I couldn't figure out how to play. Probably my most used apps are the Nook and Kindle apps. If I'm gonna play hookie, it's by reading a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, my kids love Star Wars Angry Birds, but I've never played. Ditto for Bad Piggies-I just don't get it. ;)

      Good luck choosing!

      Delete
  8. This is the blog I needed, Marquita...I have FB, Twitter and readers on my phone, and that's it. Nary a game in sight.

    Hmmmm..maybe I should keep it that way..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Deb, I think you have the right idea for avoiding game addiction. ;)

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete