Our Pages

Friday, November 23, 2012

Thanks, but I'd rather not...

...by Olivia Kelly

Yes. I am going for the easy post today. I'm blogging about...

BLACK FRIDAY!


That day where, in America, almost any and every store has some sort of sale. Many items are drastically reduced, such as flat screen TVs, leather jackets or Fry Daddys, making them popular grab-n-gos. Some stores have specific things discounted, others discount everything. If you plan well, and have patience and fortitude, you can actually save thousands of dollars.

So I've heard anyway.

I am a frugal shopper.  I shop the discount racks, sales and clearances. I shop clothing out of season, when possible, and hold off buying as much as I can until I receive some sort of coupon in the mail. It is actually painful for me to pay full price. It goes against the very (cheap) grain of my soul. You would think Black Friday would cause much rejoicing in my shriveled, little miserly heart.

You would be wrong.

I have shopped Black Friday only once. It was more than enough to convince me that no discount was worth dealing with that ever again

First, my friend and I waited in the freezing cold, at 4am, outside of a Target, armed with coffee, a map of the Black Friday layout and our sale flyers. Folks, I didn't even get up at 4am to have my babies, okay? 4am is an ungodly hour. NEVER AGAIN.

Second, people are rude. It's shameful how nasty people can get over a TV or some Skylanders (Wii game, if you don't have kids) avatars. Now, I didn't see any of the craziness that you hear about in the news, thank goodness. But the general attitude is "Get out of my way, or I'll MAKE you...and don't even think about taking that last Martha Stewart pan set." Really, that alone was enough to put me off Black Friday. No one needs matching dish towels and oven mitts that badly. Take a deep breath and get a freaking grip on yourself.

Third, and lastly, I didn't really save very much money. Maybe it was because I didn't need anything, and therefore couldn't justify the expense of buying a TV or laptop just because of the "amazing deal". Now, I have heard of people who save crazy amounts of money on Black Friday, so I guess it works for them. If you can't afford a new bike or need a washer and dryer, I bet this would be the time to look. Just watch out for flying elbows.

I'm sure it sounds like I'm downing Black Friday, but I'm really not. I'm just telling you why I'd rather sit through Transformers 3 on loop for eight hours than shop today. But, hey, if it works for you and you save money, more power to you. My advice is drink a pot of coffee, wear shin guards and, just like in the zombie movies, cardio is king. Maybe do a few stretches before they let you in the store. Limber up.

And then...go get 'em, tiger. 


Do you shop on Black Friday? In the stores or online? What your most interesting/craziest/funniest Black Friday story?


Thanks to http://www.someecards.com/ and http://www.bluntcard.com/ for their hilarious (as always) e-cards. If you've never been to this sites, you must check them out. They rock.

19 comments:

  1. I went a couple of times, long ago, with my mom, mother in law and sisters in law. I'm not a shopper, so I went for the company. We did not get up early and wait in lines, though. So for me, it was just a fun way to hang out with the girls.

    No way would I go by myself. Or just to get the 'big deal' I've heard the same thing--they advertise a big discount, but only have a couple of the items available. I'd go with the girls again, sometime, but more for the show! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I might go if it was just an excuse to get some coffee and hae some kid-free girl chat, lol!

      Delete
  2. I tried the Black Friday thing once. Never again. I didn't get there early enough (I was only in line at 4 a.m.) so the limited item I was there to get one of my children was gone. The experience only reinforced my love of online shopping from the comfort of my own home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that more and more people are just shopping from online! It seems the easiest (and safer, lol!) way to go...

      Delete
  3. When I had to be at work @ 7:00 am, I hit the 5 am sales once. That was when my hubby was still an intern and we were barely scrapping by. My best find that year was a Martha Stewart Christmas tree for $34. We had to have a Christmas tree for our little boy! It's a nice one that we still use. Where I live, people are mostly polite except when they get behind the wheel of a car. You're likely to fare well in the store, but you might get run down in the parking lot. Most years I just skip the shopping. Probably because I work every year. I can't remember the last time I had Black Friday off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was another reason I'd not done a Black Friday up until three years ago. I have mostly worked in the restaurant industry my whole life, so I never had it off!

      Delete
  4. I have not and will not shop on Black Friday. I know myself too well to pretend my temper wouldn't run the show. And that's before I enter the store. I'd be arrested just from the parking debacle. I don't like crowds (especially the kind that doesn't know enough to give me wide berth). Our Black Friday tradition is to stay home with the kids and put up our Christmas decorations. The excitement and joy on my babes' faces when they tell about each ornament of theirs they put on the tree is a far better deal than anything I could buy in a store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you're really on the ball! The tree in our house is usually a last minute thing. We rush out the weekend before and get it, lol! Once, we only had it four days before Xmas...

      Delete
  5. I've been to one Black Friday. But it was closer to 6am after everything was picked over. Never again. That's just asking for trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it still blows my mind that 6am is considered LATE on a Black Friday. Again, NOT a morning gal here. ;D

      Delete
  6. Nope! Not a Black Friday shopper. I feel that there will still be good bargains at a later date. Unfortunately, retailers are hurting in this economy and will have more sales later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sad, but it is also a relief for those of us that need the lower prices. I truly dislike pushing through crowds, which is why I hardly ever hit the outlets either. But, THOSE are where you can get some really awesome deals. :)

      Delete
  7. Nope, I stay far, far away from the malls on black friday. Although occasionally, I'll find I need something and go shopping in the afternoon. All the crazy, mad house people are long gone by the afternoon and you can get your one item and leave again in peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can still find that one item, that sounds like the best plan to me! :)

      Delete
  8. I'll just sit with you and watch the Transformers. I have never shopped Black Friday, and I never intend to. I used to be able to use the excuse that our Thanksgiving is in October, so BF doesn't exist here, but it's starting to creep in. Stores in Canada are offering bargains to keep customers from crossing the border and spending their Christmas money in the US. But you're not going to catch me in a store on either side of the border today. The crazy just isn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have never thought about that! That must be really frustrating to Canadian business owners, watching people drive over the border when they could spend their money at home and help boost the local economy.

      Delete
  9. Olivia ~ I've been Black Friday shopping before. I don't enjoy it, but Transformers 3 on a loop! (Actually I never say Transformers 3. Transformers 2 made me never look at that franchise again.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how much torture I'd endure NOT to shop on Black Friday, hahaha!

      Delete
  10. I don't shop at black friday, we don't celebrate this event in my country :(

    ReplyDelete