Our Pages

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanks for the Goofy, the Odd and the Just Plain Convenient Things

Don't you just love the whole idea behind Thanksgiving?  There's something magical about the whole nation pausing a moment to count their blessings.  It's been so fun this year as lots of people in social media take the whole month to list their blessings, because gratitude is catching and stalking someone else's list of goodies is just plain fun.

Hopefully we all  have big, important things in our lives for which we are thankful--family, health, jobs and good friends. But today, let's take a moment to share the goofball things that make us happy, the little oddities that make us happy, the tiny conveniences that make our day easier.

I'll get us started:

The Bowl.  It's just a simple, melamine mixing bowl, but it was a gift from one of the most special people in my life.  I use it all the time, and when I do, I imagine all the love we share mixing right into the dish I'm making.

My iPhone.  So much better than my old phone!  I've had this thing for almost 6 months and it still makes me grin.  There are only so many people I want to be instantly accessible to--and this thing makes it so easy!

I'm thankful that my kids are as addicted to stories as I am.  Books, movies, TV, real life.  Stories are everywhere and I love that my kids are interested in them, get wrapped up in them, and want to share and discuss them.  I get a tingle when Eldest speaks of the themes in his favorite anime and why they 'hit him in the feels.'  :-)  I laughed out loud when my then 11 year old walked out of Transformers 2 and said, "That was great--but did you catch the giant plot hole?"  I love when we see a movie or watch a show together and then sit around and discuss what we liked, what we didn't and what might have been done differently.

Socks.  Is it weird that I love socks?  Good ones.  Not too heavy.  Just soft enough.  They have to hit at just the right height near my ankle, too.  Finding just the right one is harder than you think--so when I find a good set, I buy extra.

What about you guys?  What odd things make you happy?  What is it that makes your life easier and better?  Share with us---and Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

13 comments:

  1. What odd things make me happy :
    when i don't have papa since i was 5 years old but i still have my mom, when I do not have the fancy stuff but I'm still playing with the cheap artificial stuff but I always enjoy the game, when my mom has to go to work for her childs, i still have my sisters and brothers to accompany me. So i think even the worse thing you have to face, i always believe there is a thing that will make you happy and I still thankful for that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely sentiment for the holiday, Eli! Love to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...the oddball things that I'm thankful for? To start, I'm thankful for the auto-feeder and water fountain I got for my cats. They make it possible for me to leave my cats alone for a day or two, without needing someone to come feed and water them. It's a seemingly little thing, but it's a big thing for me. I'm thankful that the Harry Potter books are now available as e-books, because I can now carry all 7 of them around on my Kindle, which weighs less than the shortest of them in paperback form. And I'm thankful that on my new iPhone, I can now do FaceTime with my nephew...even if he only wants to show me the light fixture on the ceiling, or his dog's butt, or if he holds the phone so close to his face that I can only see his eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwha ha ha! Your monster sounds like such a hoot! Love your list! I need to try FaceTime--I have a feeling it will make me love my iPhone even more!

      Delete
  4. I'm thankful for the health of my children, after watching a friend's son go through a scary ordeal these past few weeks. You don't realize how quickly things can change. (He will be just fine, THANKFULLY.) ;)
    I'm thankful for good books that sweep you away to another world, friends who make you laugh so hard your ribs hurt, a roof over my head and food on the table, my parents, jeans, lawn mowers and my coffee maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Olivia. I'm so glad your friend's son will be okay. Love to his mom--I can't imagine anything scarier.

      I second the rest of your list, too--except for the lawn mower--which goes on Valiant Husband's list. He got a fancy doo dad of a mower a few years ago and I'm not allowed to touch it! For which I am also thankful!

      Delete
  5. Deb,
    I love the list of things that make you thankful. I'm happy when I hear my hubby up before me making coffee. It's not often that he's up first, but when he is, it's such a treat to sleep a little longer. I love when my kids hang out at the table after dinner and we all joke with each other. They have the best sense of humor! I love the gas fireplace in our den. It's no mess and cozy. It makes me happy to have tea in my favorite cup and curl up with a book in the den. And I love when my house is clean, even though it's not that often. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the opposite, Sam! I'm always up first and I enjoy the quiet, peaceful start to the day. And a big ol' YES--I love when my house is clean, too. If only it would stay that way for more than 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cork screws. They really are silly looking but serve such an important purpose. Theatre so I can be creative in other areas of my life. Velcro and duct tape because I think we would all be in trouble if we didn't have these quick fixes :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet you're not alone in your appreciation of cork screws, Jane! And I know my dh is right there with you on the duct tape and velcro. He'd probably add in zip ties too. :-) I 'll include theater on mine--as an audience member. There's nothing quite like the connection of live theater.

      Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  8. I can't wait for Carly Phillips next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find all the Lady Scribes share that sentiment, Lou Ann! Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  9. Today's baking has inspired another addition to my list--metal pie crust shields. So much easier than trying to keep tin foil folded over the crust!

    ReplyDelete