Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Little Taste of Regency


By Erin Knightley

Psst. Hey you.
Yes, you—the one staring at the computer screen.  Do you know what today is?

It’s Release Day for A TASTE FOR SCANDAL!

And as thrilled as I am to have my 2nd book finally available,  I am determined to celebrate in as genteel a fashion as possible. You see, in the six months since my debut, I have matured leaps and bounds as an author, in more ways than one.  I mean, you’ll no longer find me running through the aisles of a certain large bookstore, dancing like a fool.

Oh no, this time around, I shall be all that is graceful and refined.  With that in mind, I have created a little video for your viewing pleasure. In it, I’ll show you a super quick and oh-so easy recipe that I found while researching late eighteenth and early nineteenth century cookbooks. 

This particular recipe happens to be special, since it is the very first one that my baker heroine teaches her rakish earl hero. (PS – I didn’t set out to write a Regency foodie romance, but somehow that’s exactly what happened!)

So, from the Duchess of Delight, Her Grace Erin Knightley (who steadfastly promises not to make a cake of herself), I hope you enjoy:



(Okay, so maybe I make a bit of a cake of myself after all, lol)

Now, be sure to stop by HERE and enter my HUGE Historical Romance Palooza contest! I'm giving away 36 signed books from all different authors to celebrate A Taste for Scandal's release  - it might just be your lucky day! :-)

So tell me —what do you think is the greatest kitchen appliance invented? After making those Regency recipes, I'm going to go with ALL of them, lol! But if I had to choose, definitely the hand mixer.

 Amazon  |  Barnes & Noble  |  Walmart  |  iTunes

21 comments:

  1. Congrats on your release, Erin! Enjoy the day!!

    But you know no matter how easy you make any recipe or even walk me through it one step at a time, I'm all thumbs in the kitchen. Thank heavens I have friends who are talented in that area. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ava! And I confess I am usually much better in the kitchen that in this video ;)

      Delete
  2. Watch out Food Network! :-) Congrats, Erin! Happy Release Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, did you whip the cream by hand, too? That recipe looks very similar to one I found for Ratafia Cakes. Same principle--basically flavored meringue only this used ground almonds instead of chocolate. No way would I try to make my own ground almonds by hand though.

    I have an old cookbook from the 1940s that came from my grandmother. All the cake recipes have something along these lines in the directions: "Use a mixer or beat 300 strokes by hand..."

    I'm glad I have my KitchenAid when I feel like baking.

    Congrats on the second release. I had the email from Amazon this morning that I'm getting my copy today or tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - nope, I totally pulled out the mixer for the whipped cream. Shh - don't tell anyone!

      And wow - I'd love to see a cookbook like that! Can you imagine counting out 300 strokes??

      Thanks so much for stopping by - I hope you enjoy to the read!

      Delete
  4. Cute video, Erin. I didn't know cooking was such a workout. No wonder I avoid it. Lol. Congrats on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Move over, Zumba - there's a new workout in town! Lol, thanks Andris :)

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, Erin! I've been eagerly awaiting the release of A Taste of Scandal, and I can't wait to read it. I'm late for work, so I can't watch the video, but I'm looking forward to stopping back this evening to see what delicious recipe you're making. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Samantha! You were such a big help way back when I was first writing it - I hope you like all the changes!

      Delete
    2. LOL. How cute! Thank goodness for modern conveniences. And bakeries!!!

      Delete
  6. My Kitchen Aid is the one Wedding Present I use on a semi-regular basis. I love mine. So not into the mixing egg whites by hand.

    Great video. And congrats on the release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the KitchenAid. That is the most used power tool in my household, lol. I balked at the price initially, but it was worth it a thousand times over!

      Delete
  7. I have to say mine is the internet because I can't cook and I need detailed recipes that are kid-friendly and easy to read lol. You would be very proud of me though, Erin. I created my own pasta dish the other night. It was penne pasta with smoked sausage and red peppers. And it was delicious! Finally, I'm starting to cook more and doing less burning of the dishes, so the hubby is very happy indeed. =D

    I love, love, love this book, the cover and everything. I cannot wait to grab up my own copy! Good luck, Erin but I know you don't need it, you're a fabulous writer and will do well either way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow - I AM proud of you! And drooling, too! And thanks so much :) I appreciated all those crits you gave me way back when - hopefully it's much better than it started out as!

      Delete
  8. Happy Book Birthday, Erin!!! And I loved the video, but not where you hurt your finger. Bless you heart! Does the dishwasher count?

    Cannot wait to read A Taste For Scandal! Wishing you BIG Success!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No dishwasher was used in the making (or aftermath) of this video ;) A hot water heater, however, was!

      Delete
  9. Congrts on the release Erin. Love the cover of the book :). You know I can't cook :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch, Eli! And I'm sure you're not *that* bad of a cook. (right?) ;)

      Delete
  10. Congrats Erin! Can't wait 2read it. So liked your 1st bk.
    Yes on the hand mixer; love mine to death but i fractured my wrist a few days ago (typing 1 handed is so arduous n slow!) n it's no baking & just about everything else 4 a long 6 wks. The thing i will miss most n am already missing is working out at the gym. Sighs. Thank Goodness that i hv bks to keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a hilarious video! Congrats on the release! I'm quite keen on silicon baking/candy mats. I use them instead of parchment paper to line my baking sheets, and they work better than a whole can of nonstick spray AND make cleanup so much easier. :) Stand mixers are also a whole lot of awesome.

    ReplyDelete