Our Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Help! I Need a Plan for London


I have the opportunity to spend time in Europe this summer.  I’ve been lucky enough to have traveled to Paris three times. None of them was a glamorous romantic trip, however. I was one of a few adult chaperones for high school students.  Oh, I could tell you stories, but I won’t since we all survived and made it back to the States.  This year, a group of adults booked a trip with the same company.  Because our group is small we will be with high school students again. The beauty of this is I am not in charge of any of them.  As an adult, I have freedom and don’t need to stick with the group for each sightseeing tour if I don’t wish to. It is a ten day trip that begins in London and ends at the Vatican and I cannot wait!

We will land in London on a Saturday (probably late morning) and then get organized, to our hotel, dump stuff in our rooms (or store our luggage until rooms are ready).  I will be refreshed and ready to go.  I know anyone who has traveled overseas probably finds this difficult to believe, but I will be one of the most alert people walking off of our plane. You see, I have this phobia of flying over large bodies of water.  I accept that it is irrational and after having done it once (with medication) I figured I could do it a second and third time without the help of anxiety medication.  Such was not the case because the closer the departure date got, the more that little panic built, and I didn’t want to be the one on the plane screaming and crying.  Remember, I was traveling with students and I wanted to set a good example of confidence and authority.  So, I called my doctor, explained and he wrote the prescription.  I am lucky because this is one of the few times I’ve ever needed to rely on anti-anxiety medication. I have friends who have severe anxiety issues, and my heart goes out to anyone who suffers from this.  It is not easy. 

I know it doesn’t make sense, but I can fly across the country with no problems. Okay, I do get a little nervous, but nothing I can’t handle.  The great benefit I learned from the medication (besides the fact that I am not a complete mess) is it also knocks me out.  So, I sleep most of the way (it helps that we fly through the night) and I am ready to go as soon as the wheels touch land again.  I am proud to inform you that I refrain from kissing the ground when I get off of that plane (though the thought crosses my mind every time).

Nothing is planned until the next day when we take a bus tour to Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus and end at the Changing of the Guard.  By the way, from experience, these stops include the director giving us history and a quick stop for a photo opportunity, not necessarily tours.  Don’t get me wrong, I want to see all of these things, but I want to make every second in London count because on Monday we are on the Eurostar headed to Paris. This is when I expect a second phobia to rear its ugly head. I don’t like enclosed places and the thought of taking a train under the English Channel already has my heart racing and hands shaking.  I should probably mention that to the doctor when I call about the prescription for flying.  I would try to do this trip without medication but I already know it won’t be pretty.  I am not going to try and fool myself and just do what needs to be done to get where I want to go.  I refuse to sit home because I am afraid of what I need to do to get there.

Paris I have covered, and between you and me, there is a fairly good chance I won’t stick with the group but go off on my own to see the things that have been missed in the past. Shhhh, don’t tell anyone.  This may be my one romantic trip to Paris because this time my husband is going with me (instead of one of my children).  I can’t wait to take this trip with him, and I hope he loves Paris as much as I do, though he is looking forward to London the most, like me.  I want to stroll with him through Luxemburg Gardens, get ice cream along the walk outside Tuileries, see his face when he realizes how small the Mona Lisa really is and sip wine at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

As for Florence, Tuscany, Rome and the Vatican, I will stick with the group. These are all new places to me and I don’t speak Italian.  I am simply going to enjoy and absorb this history. I am also looking forward to the food.  When given a choice I will eat Italian over anything else, and I can’t wait to see how it tastes in Italy. 

But, back to London (the place I am so excited to visit). I’ve never been there and being a Regency author I have a list of places I want to see but I have no idea how to tackle this challenge and see as much as possible in the limited amount of time I am allotted. I calculate I will have about a day, maybe a day and a half, to see everything I should probably see. I know it isn’t much time so I need a plan. I want to be able to hit the city, itinerary in hand and go from place to place until time runs out.  So, this is my plea. If you have been to London, what itinerary do you suggest so I can make the most of my visit in such a short amount of time and have the greatest Regency experience?  It is never too early to plan J.

17 comments:

  1. Jane,
    That sounds like a great trip! I'm jealous! I've never been to London, so I have no suggestions. I hope to go myself some day, so I'll be interested in your tips after your trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha,

      I am sure I will have great tips once I get back and probably blog about the trip for weeks - lol.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful opportunity!! I've been to London, but we had no plans whatsoever, lol. We went to Hyde Park, Piccadilly Circus, saw a Monty Python play (which was GREAT), took a double decker bus tour, a rickshaw tour, and a self-guided walking tour. Whatever you decided to do - just soak it all in and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,

      You have no idea how much I hope we take our tour on a double decker bus. I don't think a tour of London would be the same on a generic form of transportation. And, with camera in hand I will be fighting those with me to get to the top - lol.

      Delete
  3. Jane ~ I loved walking in Hyde Park, and if I'd stayed longer, I would have loved to have seen a play (I know - ME - seeing a play) in one of the old theatres. I could spend a good week exploring the Tower, but I know you only have a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ava,

    The Tower is a must! I am not shocked that you want to see a play. Had said musical, I would have laughed myself silly ;). I wonder, do they have carriage rides through Hyde Park. That would be so cool. But, it would probably also take a good deal of time I can't afford.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I was going with you! Hmm..Hyde Park was a must for me. Spencer House--still done in Regency style. If you are a fan of Wellington then Apsley House is great--full of amazing memorabilia.

    I hope you have an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have nothing to suggest, since I haven't been there myself. But I am taking notes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,

      Hopefully one day a bunch of us can go to London - Regency style. Wouldn't that be fun :).

      Delete
  7. I'm not posting a comment, because I'm jealous that you're going and I'm not. ;p

    Have fun! Can't wait to see all the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Marquita. I can promise that there will be lots of pictures.

      Delete
  8. Jane, I'm sorry to say I've never been out of the country, so no advice from me. But I do wish you a fabulous trip and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a Londoner, I would suggest getting a copy of the Tube map (London Underground) in advance. It's the quickest way to get around town. But it's a topological map so ifs worth comparing locations to the nearest stations in advance so you know where you are going. South Kensington tube is nearest to most of the museums including the V and A which has a lot of exhibits of the period. The Musuem of London is in the City of London near London Wall is small but covers the whole of Londons history.
    http://accomplishedyounglady.com/2011/03/omglondon2-walking-regency-london/. looks to have some useful ideas.
    I hope you have a wonderful trip

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki,

    Thank you so much for the information. That is what I am looking for :).

    ReplyDelete