Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Interview with the Marronites


When the blogging tour for my first book, Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel, started in February, the man to the left here started stealing the spotlight from Miss Hillary's scoundrel. Paul Marron’s name began popping up in comments section of every guest blog I did and in my twitter feed. A lot! (Lord Andrew is STILL waiting for an apology, btw. LOL) And suddenly, I had a name to go with the face.

Before then, I just thought of him as 'That Guy', which makes Paul sound insignificant, but that isn't true. When I was told I had to revise Lady Amelia’s Mess and a Half a FOURTH time, I was ready to quit. I started asking myself if it was it too late to return my advance. Could I just go back to having fun? Well, before I did anything stupid, I took a few deep breaths, then pulled up this cover on my laptop. My immediate thought was, “Wow. That Guy really showed up for work that day.” (No phoning it in for PM.) In fact, everyone involved with creating this amazing cover seemed to have put in his or her best efforts. How could I not buck-up and finish my part?  

Later I found Paul’s Facebook page and learned he has a talent for inspiring others, whether he’s encouraging them to shrink their carbon footprint, eat healthier, follow their dreams, or have fun in the moment. I also discovered a great group of regulars who visit his page. They even have a name: The Marronites. Today I’ve invited two serial posters—er, I mean active fans aka the BTs (brain twins)—to be our guests, and I’m thrilled they accepted.

Welcome to Lady Scribes, Beau and Yajaira! Can you tell us a little about yourselves?

Yajaira (Ya-hi-da): I’m 28, an avid reader who tends to get very emotionally invested in books to the point I become stalkerish with my favorite authors. Lol.  Just ask Cj Roberts and Tiffany Reisz (there’s more but those 2 get the most action from me. Lol) I’m a SoCal girl, so give me sunshine and books and I’m content.

Beau: I’m 32 yrs old, Aquarius (which explains A LOT, and Y is also Aquarius, another reason we’re kindred), proud Canadian, stay-at-home mom with 4 awesome kids (ages 14/10/7/5), married to my tall, dark & hunky Hubs for 8 years now, but we’ve been together for 15 years, since I was 17. Love/lust at first sight, basically. He’s very tolerant, let’s say, of my obsessive crush on PM (meaning lots of deep sighs and eye-rolling). But he knows he’s always #1 in my heart so he’s okay with it. Hubs works away so I have a lot of free time on my hands, in between the demands of being a mom/chauffeur/referee/cook/etc. 

I have a very raunchy sense of humor, sometimes its morbid. Very open-minded, feel strongly about human rights issues such as gay equality, women’s rights, social activism, the environment. Total tree-hugger, as a tween my dream was to be a hippie, went through a period of obsession with the 60s, The Beatles, wore bell bottoms, etc. I’m a pretty laid-back person, optimistic, believe in fate and karma. But PLEASE do not call me ‘new-age’ lol. As you probably know already, my brain-to-mouth filter is usually missing but that’s okay, because I am who I am and find we’re the most honest when we go with our first instinctive reactions. My heroes are women who are strong, capable, independent, confident in their sexuality and sensuality, yet unafraid to show their softer emotions as well.  One of my favorite quotes is “Well-behaved women rarely make history.”

Samantha: I'm fond of that quote too. So, who are the Marronites and how did the group get started?

Beau: The Marronites include pretty much all of Paul’s fangirls, the ones you find on his page interacting and posting stuff. We’ve all become friends and I love those women. His fb page is so much fun. I think the term ‘Marronite’ actually came from me, does that seem conceited to say? But I’m such an obsessed superfan, it seemed we needed a name and that totally fit the bill. Here’s a sign you’re a PM freaky fangirl: you get envious when he ‘likes’ and comments on other people’s fb posts, lol!!

Samantha: You two ladies obviously have a close friendship that extends beyond Paul’s page. Did you know each other before you became his Facebook fans?

Beau: I can tell you honestly that Yajaira really is my other half. I don’t know how or why we were meant to find each other at this point in our lives, but I’m thankful every day that it came to be. To answer your question, no, we didn’t know each other before. When I joined his page, I started paying attention to comments made on posts, and she made one in particular that so closely mirrored what I was going to say that it made me take notice of her.

Yajaira: *laughs* Next thing you know, she’s messaging me and luring me in with promise of a major epic, hot photo of Paul (Which it totally was. I still can’t look at it w/o hyperventilating.)

Beau: Um, mesh bikini thong, anyone? Thank you, Undergear!! We started messaging and soon we were addicted to each other. I’m not even joking. There were days we messaged from the time we got up til the time we went to bed. And even then we were like cliché teens in love ‘you hang up, no YOU hang up, I love you, love you more!’ LOL! To date, we have over 64,000 private messages between us.

Yajaira: As she said, we’ve been besties ever since. We’ve had some pretty epic convos since then.  *grins mischievously*
Yajaira & Beau: We're goofs
Beau: Getting to meet her in person this summer was a dream come true. She’s everything I ever hoped she’d be, AND MORE. 


Yajaira: B and I have a bucket list with lots of items on there. One of those was crossed off recently when we met in person. (No we didn’t make out…but it was a close one.) One of the items on that list is to one day meet Paul in person. *grins* I just hope he doesn’t take off running in the opposite direction the minutes he sees us.  Lol!!


Samantha: What a great story on how you found each other. How did you discover Paul?

Beau: I absolutely LOVE Kresley Cole and am a regular (somewhat) on her message boards. One day, right after Lothaire came out, there was a thread about the Lothaire cover model. I’d become obsessed with THAT FACE since I got the book, so I read through the comments and learned his name was Paul Marron. I immediately googled his name, found his website, and through that his facebook page. And then, THEN… I learned he was the model for Cadeon on the cover of KC’s Dark Desires After Dusk (my #1 fave cover of all time).

Yajaira: When I really discovered him was when Lothaire came out. I had seen his face in quite a few books I owned, but I never knew his name or much about him, until his Lothaire cover…and well, the rest is pretty much history. I went on his page when he had only a handful of ‘likes’.  We’ve been inseparable ever since *tear tear* lol!

Samantha: There are lots of gorgeous men in the world. What is it about Paul that makes him stand out? 

Yajaira: *goofy grin* He’s just plain awesome. I actually did a post on his page recently about the things that make me like him. (Here are just a few. You can view the full list at Paul’s page.)  

He lets me get crazy on his page and doesn't even put out a restraining order against me.

I love that he has a book cover where he is standing at the alter about to be married; now every girl can photoshop her face over the bride's and live the fantasy. (No, I have not done this. Why do you ask? *wink*)

I am a true believer that through someone's eyes you can read a lot about a person. And when I look at photos of Paul, his eyes are always bright, kind, mischievous, playful, and honest. And I really like that, because eyes don't lie.

Beau: He’s REAL. In that, he’s managed to stay ‘normal’, humble, down-to-earth. Some of his posts he’s self-deprecating, which I find fascinating and adorable. He’s funny (although some posts make me groan, the woman’s butt hot-air balloon? LOL Oh, Paul!). I freaking LOVE that he’s environmentally conscious and socially aware. He travels, dresses well (and COOL, no lame pleated khakis for my Paul, oh no), cares about what he eats. And of course, he’s absolutely beautiful. His face is a work of art. That Clint Eastwood-y smoking pic he posted recently? ROCKED. MY. WORLD.

And PM thought he'd lost his edge...
Samantha: What do you like about the people who come to Paul’s page?

Yajaira: They’re all awesome! We have the regulars who are pretty much like family there on PM’s page.

Beau: Luciene, Kris, Debby, Danielle, April, Megan, Zuleyka, Olga, Bobbi-Jo, Nora, there’s more but I’ve been into the gin and can’t list them all. We’re like a little gang, united in our adoration of PM.

Yajaira: We’re always really excited when a new fan comes out and declares her/his undying love for Paul. B and I get all giddy about it, like we rub our hands together evilly, “Ha! We’ve got you now! You’re ours forEVAH!” Then we proceed to laugh like villains in a melodrama.


Beau: First of all, it actually takes a lot of guts to ‘out’ yourself that way. So when fans come out to play, introduce themselves, and then start interacting, I love it! I love that everyone is different and unique and brings something different to the table. Luciene is our angel, for instance, with her uplifting quotes; Kris the southern peach who joins me; Y in awesome private msgs; Debby is our British sweetheart, with always a kind word and ‘xx’ signature (meaning kisses, NOT to be confused with xxx, lol); Megan is our innocent optimistic youngster (the only one who fully ‘gets’ my memes, btw); Zuleyka is the steampunk artiste; Danielle is full of inner strength and enthusiasm. We’re all from different walks of life, from all over the world, yet on that page we’re buddies. The PM love is universal, I guess. Another thing I love about the Marronites is that they’ve accepted and embraced me for who I am.

Samantha: Beau, you’ve mentioned in the past that your daughter can pick out Paul on a romance cover even if there’s nothing showing but his back. How in the world do any of you do it? It’s a back! LOL

Beau: He’s just so unique. If you’ve looked at enough PM pics like I have (thank you google!!), and seen enough book covers, then you know what I mean. Even if it’s just his lips showing on a cover, I’ll know it’s him. Also, he has a way of holding his body, his posture: chest out, shoulders back, one hitched higher than the other, arms loose but flexed, hands open and ready. The shoulder hitch is instantly recognizable to me. He’s 100% alpha male on his covers. *shiver*

Samantha: That’s impressive! I feel like I just watched a scene from Sherlock. Yajaira, rumor has it you’re an author and you participated in NaNoWriMo. Brava! I’m always in awe of anyone who takes on that huge task. How did it go?

Yajaira: *blushes* OMG, Where did you hear that!?

Samantha: Someone is very proud of you and admittedly, that someone has no filters. *wink*

Yajaira: Yes, I participated in NaNoWriMo…didn’t do so well though; keep getting stuck on plot. I wrote about 15K words though. Only B has read it, so I guess you’d have to ask her if it’s any good because I’ll just tell you that’s it’s terribly bad.

Samantha: 15K is great! And I doubt it’s terrible. We tend to be our own worst critics. When you’re writing, do you have a certain image or qualities in mind when you are creating your hero? (I know, leading question!)

Yajaira: I’m a sucker for the anti-heroes. I looooove them! So that’s how I try to write the men in my stories. Physically though, as you know, it’s sometimes the character that shows you what they look like. Though I have written a few characters with Paul’s image in my head. (Shhh, don’t tell him though coz I write smut and he’d probably fire me as his fan if he knew. Lol!)

Samantha: I won't say a word. Beau, anyone who follows Paul’s page has to know about your fascination with zombies, so here’s a very serious question for you. If Paul were turned into a zombie, would you run from him?

Yajaira: Oh no, now you’ve done it. You just had to ask her about the zombies, didn’t you? Lol! Good luck getting a short answer from her! *pulls out phone and starts tweeting*

Beau: I’d run TO him! No, we’d definitely be zombie lovers for eternity. Rampaging our way through humanity, obsessed with each other and our love for brains.

Samantha: Do you watch The Walking Dead?

Beau: Samantha, I think it’s quite safe to say I also have a small obsession with WD, lol. I’m a total psycho when watching it, too. I yell at the screen, “No you idiot, omg you’re so stupid, what are you doing!!?’

Samantha: You HAVE to be talking about Andrea! I think I yell at her every episode she's in. Which one would you pick, Rick or Shane?

Beau: You know, I was always Team Rick. Right from the first episode, Shane got my hackles up with his comments about his girlfriend and Lori (when him and Rick were in the squad car, before it all went down). But now, season 3, with Rick going bye-bye in the prison, Daryl has really stepped up and now I’m totally Team Daryl.

Samantha: Me too! But I’ve been Team Daryl since season 2 with the way he wouldn’t give up looking for Sophia. I was happy when others joined the team, because I was a little worried about the whole redneck-love thingy I had going on. 

Beau: When he held the baby and christened her Little A**-kicker? And then carried Carol out of the cell? I was a goner. You better redneckognize!

Samantha: I want that on a t-shirt.

Beau: Just want to say thank you so much for even taking an interest in me, Y, and the Marronites. This has been a lot of fun and I love you for it. I think what Paul has unknowingly created on his page, a legion of loyal adoring fans who spread that love onto each other, is unique and very special. Even if the unthinkable happened and he closed the page, I know our friendships would continue on and THAT makes me truly happy.

Samantha: It has been my pleasure, ladies. I’ll see you around on Paul’s page. And if any of the rest of you would like to check out Paul Marron’s fb page, I have no doubt you will receive a warm welcome. 

Feel free to weigh-in on any of these topics: Paul, internet friendships, obsessions, zombies, redneck love... or the topic of your choosing. (I lost control of this interview from the start, so why not? LOL) Just keep it PG for me, okay? And here's a question if you can't think of anything: Do you have any really close friendships you've made on line & have you met in person?

Also, I have romance trading cards with Paul's picture on them for the first 20 people to leave a comment and ask for them. An email address would be helpful so I can contact you later. (From Lady Amelia's Mess and a Half ; Miss Lavigne's Little White Lie)


40 comments:

  1. I would like to have one of the PM cards. The interview has its moments. I already know those two above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm one of the missing Marronite names above in the list of names. I'm a regular poster on Paul's FB site. Can you reach me there? Thank you, Samantha. :D Blessings!

      Delete
    2. I can, April. I recognize your name from Paul's page. I'm going to add you to the list. I know Beau won't mind bc she was trying to remember everyone. :)

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Samantha! God bless you. Beau's a trooper, she won't mind, LOL. :)

      Delete
  2. Okay I deleted my comment because I realized it showed me as 'WildGirl' and not ME, Beau. But now it still shows 'WildGirl' with no comment, arggh! Anyway that IS me. And now I can't even remember what my comment said LOL. Those trading cards are a FABULOUS idea, I hope I qualify as getting some, I'm so excited for them, its like merry Christmas to ME! Great interview and blogpost, Samantha. Thank you for thinking of it! You rock, chicky! \m/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you qualify! It was great to have you as guests, and I'm excited to see some of the other Marronites popping by. :)

      Shoot me an email with your address & I'll get some cards in the mail to you.

      Delete
  3. What a fun interview, Samantha! It's true: B&Y are simply made of awesome. PS: I'm anxiously awaiting your Beau Monde #4 & Y's yet-to-be-named masterpiece... Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kris! Let me know if you want the trading cards. :)

      Delete
    2. OH! I'd love some trading cards!! Forgot to ask, didn't I?

      Delete
  4. Beau, I just did the same thing @ the same time (^). Brain triplet moment or just mutual moronics? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently we 'outed' our other personas, oops! lol ;) Definitely brain triplet moment

      Delete
  5. Very cute interview, Samantha! I had no idea cover models had fan pages like this. I have to get my head out of the sand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was eye-opening for me as well, Julie. But that's the life of an author. We're either buried in our work or running around like crazy with the family. This interview made me realize how much I miss my girlfriends. Can't wait to see you next summer!

      Delete
  6. What a fun interview! I always love learning that cover men are real people too!! I can't wait for #4 in the series - I love them all!! I'd be thrilled to get a trading card too, my email addy is fitnesswithhillary AT yahoo.com

    Thanks so much for this awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm very excited about the fourth book's release, and I'm writing frantically to have something new to put out too. :)

      Glad you stopped by today, and I've got you down for trading cards.

      Delete
  7. Very cute interview. In the twenty years that I've been online I have made many friends. I was at one time engaged to someone I met online, and I've met many of the other friends that I have made as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty,
      Some day I hope we meet in person. It's hard to believe we've only known each other for a year. I feel like I've known you forever. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness but you two are a bundle of fun energy! Thanks so much for coming to join us at Lady Scribes - I love hearing from passionate people :) And as you know, Samantha, my love of the Lady Scribes started on the internet, so I know exactly how amazing a relationship like that can be. Lord knows there's gonna be a whole lotta laughter when we get together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Erin! I miss you ladies & I sigh wistfully when I read about nights at Lady Jane's Salon. But at least I get to see most everyone once or twice a year.

      Delete
  9. This was an amazing, fun and funny interview! I think it's fantastic that Paul has such devoted fans. That must be so awesome.
    I have met SO MANY of my friends in the Romance community online. Mostly through Twitter, or email. In fact, when Sam and I met for the first time this summer, after almost a year or emails and Twitter/Facebook/Lady Scribes chats, I was totally comfortable with her. It was if I had known her for ages, even though we hadn't met in person until I walked into our hotel room at a writing conference! Can't wait to hang out again in Georgia this summer, Sam! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it cool?!? It has been a lot of fun chatting with his fans. It probably helps that we share similar values. Now if I follow that up with how wonderful and amazing they are, I'll sound conceited. LOL. But it's true.

      I can't wait for Georgia either, Olivia! And ditto on the comfort level. It didn't seem like it was the first time we had met. It was one of the BEST conferences ever!

      Delete
    2. So, um, y'all are gonna be in Georgia this summer. My day has been made because this southern peach is actually in the ATL & you'll definitely be seeing me!

      Delete
    3. That would be cool, Kris! I'll look forward to seeing you!

      Delete
  10. I would say pretty much the ones I converse the most with would be my friends. I could wrong and please tell if that's the case, because that would hurt my feelings. BTW someone owes me some RTC cards. ;) what a fun interview.
    countessofmar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    You guys should know how much I love you guys, and y'all are simply the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you too, Melody! :)

      I can't believe I forgot to send cards to you, and you didn't say anything. (Okay. Maybe I can believe it a little. My memory is slipping. LOL) I will definitely get some to you. You want Drew's too, right?

      Delete
  11. Hi Samantha!

    I had to tell you how much I enjoyed reading this post and especially finding out about the fun Yajaira and Beau are having!


    Since I have lived in an otherwise "all male" household for so long I haven't stopped to think how much it had affected me as a woman and the way I look at the world! Since I've been married for 42 years and my sons are now 38 and 40 which a bunch of male grand-children added to the pack, seeing naked men running around to be is a forgone scenerio that to me is run of the mill. On top of that when my sons were teenagers half their friends lived here for days to months on end.

    Believe me after seeing most of the boys on the football, soccer, and wrestling team going swimming naked in our lake it's no longer a big deal and you'll no longer be that impressed. In fact the one that will surprise you the most is probably the shy, quiet one who's on the debate team!

    Remember they all grow up and become "old men" but fortunately my husband of 64 (I was smart and married a "younger" man) still looks pretty darn good and has the muscles still to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne! I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. I definitely think what's inside a person is what counts. There have been people I didn't think were attractive when I first met them that I later thought were handsome/pretty. And vice versa, btw. The outside doesn't always match the inside, but in other cases, I think it does. :)

      PS - I have a teen boy and I sure hope I don't see him or his friends running around naked in my house. LOL. So far, so good.

      Delete
  12. This was a lot of fun, Samantha!

    I have to say, I am a lot closer to the friends I've met online these days than I am with the people I met in person. There's a sense of anonymity with the internet, and it allows you to be your true self. In the real world, people tend to put on a mask a lot of the time, and it can be difficult to get to know who they are underneath their work persona, etc.

    I've met many of my fellow Lady Scribes in person, and I couldn't be happier about it. These ladies are the real deal. They've stuck by me through thick and thin, and I've even moved to where I'm able to spend time with several of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent point, Catherine. I can sit in my PJs, hair in a ponytail, no make-up and I'm still charming, engaging, and all the other good -ing words on the internet. LOL. I'm just kidding - sorta. There are no outward things to get in the way of getting to know someone, and like you said, no need to put on a good face. Okay, I'm just rambling now. ;)

      Delete
  13. What a great interview, Samantha. And hello hottie. If you've ever read my books, then you'd know that I *might* have a thing for blond heroes. ;)

    There are so many great people I've met in person after meeting them online. One in particular that I haven't had the chance to meet IRL, *cough* Melody *cough*, keeps kicking my butt at Scramble with Friends. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go, Melody!!!

      Marquita, I seem to recall you have a thing for blonds and like the thought of climbing on their laps. ;D

      Delete
    2. *blinks innocently* Who me? Well he does have a letter to read...

      Delete
    3. Maybe it's Santa's naughty list. Haha

      Delete
  14. I want the cards if they are still available. 30stmegan(at)gmail(dot)com.

    I liked the interview and thought it was awesone that I was mentioned \(*.* )/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan. I still have some left, so I'll add you to the list. :)

      Delete
  15. Hellooooo, Mr. Marron! I'm usually a dark hottie kind of gal, but that scruffy picture is alarmingly delicious! I'm allowed to convert right? Cute interview, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, right? :)

      Delete