Our Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It's All Nutcrackery in Here!

For eleven months of the year, I am not a collector.  I don't love knick knacks.  Or clutter.

Then December hits.  And I transform into someone else.  Christmas Deb.

This is the one time of the year I adore tchotchke's in general and Nutcrackers in particular.

It started when I was in college.  I had a huge crush on Mikhail Baryshnikov.  I discovered dance--as an appreciative audience member, not a performer.   The Nutcracker was the first full production ballet I attended. And I was hooked.  I've been in love ever since.

The collection started, not surprisingly, with my sister--who IS DEFINITELY a collector.  She gave me my first one as a gift the first year I was married--and I'll let you all see where it has led.






I just counted and I have 23 full sized Nutcrackers.  I have a particular affinity for historical or literary themed figures.  Above you can see my Highlander, Chimney Sweep, Eskimo and Pirate.  The boys gave me the Buzz Lightyear, because he was such a big part of their--all of our--lives.

Below you can check out my Sherlock Holmes, Shakespeare and my George Washington

These are Herr Drosselmeyer and the Mouse King from the ballet
This is my Georgian Dandy.  Check out his tasseled Hessian boots!



 And those are just the big ones.  I also have Nutcracker ornaments, pillows, placemats, name holders, mugs, and . . . you get the idea.


You'd think that would be enough, that I'd be satisfied.  But, no.  I have Nutcracker Envy.  My friend Marissa has a Captain Jack.  Want!  This year I found a gloriously tacky, golden Pharaoh that I cannot justify spending so much money on.  I once saw a Henry VIII, complete with turkey leg, that I could not afford.  It still haunts me.

I'm sick, I tell you.  Sick.  And I don't want to be cured.  I enjoy the heck out of my collection for a month out of the year, and then I pack them away and go back to my nice, uncluttered existence.

How about you?  Do you have a Christmas Collection?  Santas?  Rudolphs?  Snowmen?  Tell me I'm not alone in my obsession!


20 comments:

  1. Deb ~ I have a Christmas village collection. And I am completely out of space, but when I see a piece that I have to have...Well, I have to have it. Looking at the village you can see so much of my past. My son was soooo into trains as a little boy, so I have a train shop. The year he certified in SCUBA, I got a SCUBA shop. Of course, there's a book store for me and last year I found a Regency Ballroom that I just HAD to HAVE. And these things take up a lot of space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the Regency ballroom! So pretty, it made me want a Christmas village.

      But I'm not going there! The Nutcrackers are enough.

      I'd love to see your village all set up.

      Delete
    2. You can come over any time. But 2/3s of my collection is at my office. Though I didn't put it up this year. (Don't tell anyone, I haven't finished taking down all of the Halloween village from my office yet. It's been a busy year.)

      Delete
  2. Morning, Christmas Deb! I don't have any Christmas collections, unless you count my children's handmade Christmas ornaments. Those should count, right?!

    I love all of your Nutcrackers. My kids adore ours. He's missing a foot and might lose his jaw if he actually tried to crack a nut, but he gets prime placement in our Nativity Scene. LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning, Marquita! Yes, kids Christmas ornaments count--that's the best kind of collection. My mom still has one I made her in 3rd grade. I love that!

      Delete
  3. I love your collection! I collect Santas and my favorites are the old-fashioned Santas. I don't have nearly enough of them and one of my daughters has started buying one for me each Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom collects Santas too. There are so many adorable ones out there. I love the old fashioned ones too, and love to add to her collection...Yes, I'm an enabler. :-)

      Delete
  4. Holy tinsel, Deb, that's a whole lot of nut-cracking going on in your house. Uh, you know what I mean. I don't have a collection of any particular item, but my house is cluttered with Christmas of every kind from the day after Thanksgiving to January 2 (Hubs B-day is New Years day, so we leave the tree up until after). By the time January rolls around, I'm DYING to take down all the red & green overwhelming my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I love it, Andris. It's full on for a month, and then gone. So I don't have time to get too sick of it all. Unpacking them every year is like visiting buddies you haven't seen for a while!

      Yes, I fully admit, it's an illness. :-)

      Delete
  5. Deb,
    I collect Christmas trees! And I started a collecting Nutcrackers for each of my boys when they were born. It's funny but I'm not a collector either. I am the complete opposite. My husband says I'll throw away anything not glued down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something about Christmas, isn't it? Suddenly we are all switching gears and changing it up.

      Now I want to see a pic of everyone else's collections!

      Delete
  6. You may have noticed all the holiday Snoopy stuff at my house, lol. Normally I keep it to one or two small Snoopy things in the house, but at Christmas, they all come out. I can't help it - they make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did notice! And they are adorable--especially your ornaments. And, that's the first time I've seen that particular collection. Are they hard to find?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I don't have a Christmas collection or any other collection other than my books, Baby! I love them. Pet them. Protect them. They are my children. What? You think I'm nuts? Perhaps. But there is nothing like a book. Reading rocks. Oh, and if you happen to run into Santa, will you tell him that I need even more books crammed into my stocking along with gift cards to buy more. Thanks!!

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you are in the right place--I think we *all* have book collection. Maybe I'll do a post on my research books one day...

      I hope Santa brings you lots of book goodies!

      Delete
  9. I habit of collecting ornaments. Seriously, I get a new ornament for a lot of reasons. We have some from zoos, state parks, the states we lived in. Or some place that was memorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Melody!

      I love that--and then you have a fabulous time remembering where you got each ornament as you decorate the tree. Sigh. Christmas rocks!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Deb.

    My daughter would love your collection. She gets a new nutcracker every year for Christmas. My favorite is her Elvis one. I have Snow Village, but I don't really collect it anymore. It's a hassle to get it out and put it away again. I know, I'm such a scrooge! My favorite collection are my Santas, though. I try to add a new one each year, but I don't even have them out this year. Really, I'm in denial that it's almost Christmas, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Sam, I would LOVE to have an Elvis!

    Come on, girl--we need to get you in the Christmas spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bathroom remodel we are doing is messing with my Christmas spirit a little. Things are out of place and everything gets dusty. But we do have a tree and presents. :)

      Delete