Our Pages

Friday, December 21, 2012

Let's Start at the Beginning....

So. Since we are all still here (I'm assuming they don't have the Internet in the afterlife), I thought, let's not focus on The End. Let's talk about beginnings!
I love beginnings. 
My favorite part of writing a book is the first three chapters. Those first few sentences, actually, are almost always my favorite lines of the entire novel. 
Just about any beginning will do, though. When the plate at a restaurant first gets set down in front of me, I like to just look at it for a moment before digging in. I can hardly hold myself back from picking fruit or veggies from our gardens until they are ripe, I just want to use them so badly. When I buy a book at Barnes and Noble, I study the cover, read the back, then the dedication, the acknowledgements...sometimes I even read who published it and when it first came out, before opening to that first page!
In honor of the Non-Apocalypse, I decided to share some of my favorite personal beginnings, from the past few years, with you. Enjoy the show, and the first person who makes a Swallowed-A-Watermelon crack about my preggers pictures is going on The List. 
You've been warned.

My wedding day! I was dignified & elegant. Clearly.

Pregnant with the Prof. Really, really, pregnant.




Our first winter in our first house! We used that fireplace almost every day.
Poor Flat Stanley came to the hospital when I gave birth to Little Dude. He's still in therapy.
Last summer we tried a kitchen garden for the first time. Eh. Moderate success.
The Prof started Kindergarten last year too! That was huge, only having one kid at home.
This was an amazing career first for me. My first Romance Writers of America conference, this past summer.
Then in the fall, Little Dude started part-time preschool. And suddenly, I had blocks of writing time!
So I was able to THIS. The Lady and the Duke, my first independent novella, which I self-published online.
My first individual (Regency) Bestseller on Amazon. That is a HUGE first. HUGE.

Here's a little R.E.M. for you.... It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine!

What about you? What are some of your favorite firsts?

15 comments:

  1. Awesome post, Olivia! Congrats on all your writing success this year!

    Let's see. The first day home with my baby boy (15 years ago) was an amazing first. And though he's in those teenage years now, I'll always remember the joy and excitement of first holding him in my arms. (And the fear, I was so afraid of not being the perfect mother for such a perfect baby.)

    Right now, I'm anticipating my first Christmas with The Scientist and our respective children. I'm definitely anxious, hoping that all will go well; but I'm mostly excited. Bring on Christmas Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the first day with your baby- such an amazing, scary and joyful first! And I think you will have a fantastic Christmas Eve. Good luck and have fun!

      Delete
  2. Great post and your memories brought back memories of my own. At the top of my list for favorite firsts was each time I held my child for the first time. Also up there is the first time I met my husband. It is engraved on my memory along with that first date when I declared after a few glasses of wine that I had no intention of every marrying again. Yep, famous last words too - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I can recall the first time I met the Capt, also. My first (!) day at a new job, as a waitress. He was a waiter at the time. He tried to hit on me and the manager shooed him away, hahaha! He never gave up, though... ;D

      Delete
  3. Aw! I love this post, Olivia!!! These are great firsts. I love the monumental firsts like my wedding day and having my kids, but there are a few others that stand out in my mind. The first time my son laughed. My daughter's first time on stage. Her confidence wowed me! The day I met one of my very best friends. The day I told my mom I was writing romance and she was so happy for me and said she had always known I was meant to be an author. Another major one for me happened this year. My first book was published, which is kind of like holding your baby for the first time. :)

    Here's to another great year of firsts and new beginnings! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, that's sweet. Moms are the best. :D The first time my 6yo smiled at me, I wept. I was terrified he didn't like me. He only frowned and cried up until that point. Turns out he had a breast milk allergy and colic! I was hurting for him, but secretly relieved- it wasn't because I sucked as a new mom! Lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeh, I'm just like everyone else-I get sappy anytime there is a first with my son or husband.

    But one memorable one for me is the first time that my husband actually felt my son kick him when I was pregnant. To him, the kiddo wasn't real until then. The expression on my husband's face was priceless-it was along the lines of "Oh, we're having a baby! We're screwed!"





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA! Yeah, they don't really "get" it until they can actually feel the baby move. ;D

      Delete
  6. Aww...look how adorable you look, even about to give birth!

    I'm with you...firsts are awesome! First look your little ones' faces on Christmas morning. First I Love You. First trip abroad. First night in your new house with your husband. We could do this all day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, yes. I'll never forget my first time going out of the country somewhere other then Canada (my dad's family is from Quebec Prov.)! My parents booked a vacation to St. Martin's- it was AWESOME. Beautiful, the food was great, the beaches were gorgeous and I met a cute guy to moon over a the resort. (What? I was twelve and totally boy-crazy, lol!)

      Delete
  7. I am so happy to see your novella do so well! I thoroughly enjoyed it. (Also congrats on the writing time...I'm looking forward to when I can quit the dayjob and have large chunks to myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I'll admit that it gives me a little thrill every time I see it for sale or being reviewed somewhere. ;D
      I can't wait for yours, Ms. Golden Heart Winner! Can't they hurry it up?!

      Delete
  8. Hey Olivia,
    Great idea for your first. I remember my first road trip with my best friend. I'm so glad I came back alive. My first time moving out of California. I never thought it would happen. First time winning a book on commenting on a blog. Never thought that would happen. My first review for my blog. Not the greatest, but it's a start. First time getting contacted by a publisher, so I could review their books. That was a happy dance moment. Hopefully many more first to come. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody,
      What a great list of firsts!!! :)

      Delete
  9. Melody - I remember when I held my first novel in my hands. That was a huge milestone. Congrats on getting your first book published! P.S. your kids are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete