by Jerrica, Her Grace of Grammar
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
― Saint Augustine of Hippo
― Saint Augustine of Hippo
At the start of every new year, I'm always struck with a bit of wanderlust. I see this big, long year ahead of me, full of possibilities, and I always ask myself, "Where am I going to go this year?" And then I talk it over with hubby and we typically agree on the destinations. However, the last few years have been sadly devoid of European travel, and I am determined that THIS will be the year that we go. The kiddo is old enough now to withstand long days of sightseeing (maybe), and since she LOVES to fly and stay in hotels, we should be okay. We'll see if she still loves to fly after a 9-hour flight.
Anyhoo, here's what's on the docket this year, and why...
1. Stockholm, Sweden -- Eric's college BFF & wife moved back to his homeland about 6 years ago, and we've been promising to go every. single. year. And it just hasn't happened. So, before we do anything else across the pond, we must go to visit our friends.
2. Scotland -- Ever since I saw Brigadoon as a child, I've longed to see the heather on the hill. Since August will probably be unbearably humid in August, we're thinking a trip to visit the Loch Ness Monster will be the perfect getaway for us. I'm hoping to tour a few (read LOTS!!!) of castles too...hopefully haunted ones!
3. Sandals or Beaches Turks & Caicos -- We are suckers for the Sandals brand, ever since our romantic trip to Sandals Emerald Bay last February. If we can't get an overnight sitter for the kiddo, though, we'll opt for the Beaches resort instead.
4. Paris -- Back across the pond we go. I've never been to the City of Light, and for some reason this comes as a huge shock to people who know me. Actually, it's a huge shock to me, too. But I chose London over Paris 6 years ago for research purposes. I don't regret that decision at all, since London is where my heart is. But still...it's time for a cruise down the Seine.
5. All the trips we've already planned --
1) Writing cruise to Cozumel (a destination I've been to twice)
2) Connecticut (for a family b'day party)
3) Raleigh (to read at Lady Jane's Salon)
4) Kansas City (for Romantic Times Convention)
5) Atlanta (to visit family and attend RWA)
6) Montreal (work-related for hubby, but I love it there, so I'll tag along)
7) Atlanta (for Christmas)
Oh, and did I mention we're wanting to build a house this year? Or at the very least buy one. Hm. Not so sure we'll fit in ALL this travel (financially or time-wise!), but if I have to choose, I'll choose a Stockholm/Scotland combo in August. Hopefully we can at least make *that* happen!
What about you? Do you have wanderlust? Are you like me, desperate to explore the world? Or do you prefer to stick close to home? Do you have travel plans or travel dreams for 2013? I'd love to hear about them!