Our Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 Travel Plans?

by Jerrica, Her Grace of Grammar
 
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”
Saint Augustine of Hippo
 
 
At the start of every new year, I'm always struck with a bit of wanderlust. I see this big, long year ahead of me, full of possibilities, and I always ask myself, "Where am I going to go this year?" And then I talk it over with hubby and we typically agree on the destinations. However, the last few years have been sadly devoid of European travel, and I am determined that THIS will be the year that we go. The kiddo is old enough now to withstand long days of sightseeing (maybe), and since she LOVES to fly and stay in hotels, we should be okay. We'll see if she still loves to fly after a 9-hour flight.

Anyhoo, here's what's on the docket this year, and why...

1. Stockholm, Sweden -- Eric's college BFF & wife moved back to his homeland about 6 years ago, and we've been promising to go every. single. year. And it just hasn't happened. So, before we do anything else across the pond, we must go to visit our friends. 

2. Scotland -- Ever since I saw Brigadoon as a child, I've longed to see the heather on the hill. Since August will probably be unbearably humid in August, we're thinking a trip to visit the Loch Ness Monster will be the perfect getaway for us. I'm hoping to tour a few (read LOTS!!!) of castles too...hopefully haunted ones!

3. Sandals or Beaches Turks & Caicos -- We are suckers for the Sandals brand, ever since our romantic trip to Sandals Emerald Bay last February. If we can't get an overnight sitter for the kiddo, though, we'll opt for the Beaches resort instead. 
 
4. Paris -- Back across the pond we go. I've never been to the City of Light, and for some reason this comes as a huge shock to people who know me. Actually, it's a huge shock to me, too. But I chose London over Paris 6 years ago for research purposes. I don't regret that decision at all, since London is where my heart is. But still...it's time for a cruise down the Seine.
 
5. All the trips we've already planned -- 
1) Writing cruise to Cozumel (a destination I've been to twice)
2) Connecticut (for a family b'day party)
3) Raleigh (to read at Lady Jane's Salon) 
4) Kansas City (for Romantic Times Convention) 
5) Atlanta (to visit family and attend RWA) 
6) Montreal (work-related for hubby, but I love it there, so I'll tag along) 
7) Atlanta (for Christmas)
 
Oh, and did I mention we're wanting to build a house this year? Or at the very least buy one. Hm. Not so sure we'll fit in ALL this travel (financially or time-wise!), but if I have to choose, I'll choose a Stockholm/Scotland combo in August. Hopefully we can at least make *that* happen!
 
What about you? Do you have wanderlust? Are you like me, desperate to explore the world? Or do you prefer to stick close to home? Do you have travel plans or travel dreams for 2013? I'd love to hear about them! 
 
Happy Traveling! 
Jerrica

17 comments:

  1. Wow! You will be busy. I love to travel and this year I am taking my hubby to London, Paris, Tuscany and Rome. I also plan on being at the RT in Kansas City and possibly the RWA in Atlanta though I may go to Portland instead. I only have so many vacation days from the day job and need to make them stretch and I can't go without seeing my daughter, which is why Portland will win out over Atlanta. On the other hand, I could just fly her to me :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I love that you're taking a European tour!! I can't wait for the pictures!!!

      Jerrica

      Delete
  2. Stockholm and Scotland?!? I'm jealous just thinking about it. (Though I have an equally busy year, I think.)

    January - same writing cruise you're on to Cozumel. I can hardly wait!!
    April - New Orleans
    May - Kansas City for RT
    July - my second cruise of the year. This time with The Scientist, my son and his daughter to Key West and the Bahamans
    August - Two weeks in Germany, meeting The Scientist's family. (I'm nervous just thinking about it.)
    October - Boston

    I know I'll have some trips I'll have to make for work thrown in there too, but I'm not sure where I'm headed yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava, you have a busy year too!! I'm so excited for your trip to Germany! I'm sure the scientist's family will love you!!

      Jerrica

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! I've definitely got wanderlust, but we're at that time in the kids lives that we've mostly got to stay home and deal with their madness. Sigh.

    I'm so glad to think that I'll get to see you on at least two of those trips though! Yay!

    Is E traveling to Lady Jane's with you? We can get a lot of his harem back together! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm so bummed eric won't be with me at LJS! But we'll have some girl time, which should still be fun! We'll toast in our harem leader's honor! Lol!

      Delete
  4. Well, that's quite a list! As for me, I have constant wanderlust. I'm always dreaming of the places I want to go. This year, hubby and I are planning a trip to England that will basically be a tour of the grand manor homes around the country. Other than that, I'll probably do RT, definitely do RWA, and will certainly visit our family's in KY this year.
    If I could add a dream trip to that, it would be to spend my January birthday on warm beach somewhere, just once in my life. It's no fair that hubby gets a fab summer birthday and it's always cold and dark for mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, FUN!! I so want to do a tour of English manor homes! And may I suggest a trip to a Sandals resort for your bday?? :)

      Delete
  5. I'm mostly a homebody. Travel sounds good but we never get to it. Other than a trip to Myrtle Beach for summer vacation and either a trip to DC or Williamsburg to see my parents, I don't think I'll be traveling.

    I just can't get past the lack of funds in the accounts and the knowledge that my oldest goes to college in 5 years. Really you can splurge on a trip to San Francisco for your anniversary but you can't pay for your child's education. Maybe it's not quite that bad but I have a hard time spending money on travel when there is nothing extra in the accounts.

    But the dream trip would be to San Francisco because I said I wanted to go back every 5 years since we honeymooned there. We made it for 5 but missed 10 so I really wanted to make 15 which is apparently this year - I thought I had 1 more year to pay for it. sigh. Don't know if we'll make it. Still a lot of time to decide. Maybe hubby will get lucky and win the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. San Fran is a great town, Beth! I hope you guys can make it happen!!!

      Jerrica

      Delete
  6. I'm going to Germany this summer with the family. I can't wait. I love to travel to Europe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun, Miss Molly! Maybe you'll run into Ava :)

      Jerrica

      Delete
    2. Where are you going in Germany, Miss Molly?

      Delete
  7. Holy Moly, Jerrica. You're like a Johnny Cash song! AND YAY for coming to Lady Jane's and Atlanta. I hope to be at both this year...

    So many places I want to visit: England, Germany, Australia...anywhere warm without the kids. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol! I love Johnny Cash! Ha!

    I'm totally terrified of Australia...too much Crocodile Hunter, I think. Lol!

    And I'm so excited to see you in April! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Jerrica...I'm lucky if I can squeeze in a family trip to another state let alone wander the world! VERY impressive. My dream destination is obviously London, England. I can't even believe I haven't been there. It's shameful, really. I keep telling my DH that we need to go, strictly for research purposes, of course. "sigh" He's not buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You TOTALLY need to go, Christi! Tell him I said so...maybe that'll do the trick :)

      Delete