Our Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Getting to Know You



First, I want to thank the other Lady Scribes for inviting me to join their blog. It’s so great to be here among all these talented ladies. Many of them I’ve already read their works and truly admire and the rest I’m looking forward to digging into their books and blog posts and getting to know better. On that note, I thought it might be fun for my first post to tell you all some little known facts about me, things you might not be able to find out through venues such as my website or other social media channels. So here we go!

I’m a music buff. Okay, that’s not quite true. I do love music, eagerly absorbing all kinds and concocting playlist after playlist, but if pressed I would be the first out in Fox’s old Don’t Forget the Lyrics show. In fact, my husband loves to tease me about how I tend to make up my own lyrics to a song (don't even ask me who the band is!). The only time I can beat him at this game is when the song in question is from the stage. Growing up in a small town with a highly recognized music school (The Crane School of Music) allowed me the opportunity to experience many live musical productions. Even before I became a book connoisseur (okay, devourer) I was a musical junkie. I think the musical was the first artistic venue where I truly let my imagination take flight. I’ll never forget how the house lights would dim and I’d hold my breath in anticipation of those first drifting notes from the pit crew. Then, for the next hour or two I’d dream. What if that was me up there on stage? What if that was my story? What if… What if… Oh yeah, heady stuff for an imaginative young girl. I don’t get out to musicals much anymore, but I do still dance around the house humming along to the notes of my mind’s own orchestra and sometimes… well sometimes the dreams I dream drive me to tap out some music on my keyboard too!

I’m a pasta freak…and it’s killing me! See, I’m trying to wean myself off refined white flour. It’s all part of my “eat healthier” resolution. That means that all things yummy from cupcakes to Italian bread to pasta is pretty much off limits. And yeah, I’ve tried the whole-wheat kind, but though high in all those good kinds of things like fiber, it doesn’t hold the same sort of comfort food standard that I need when I’m craving those carbs (something that happens a lot when a story is not going the way I want it!) So, if you have any healthy suggestions to help stop the cravings, please let me know!

I think I might have MPD (multiple personality disorder). I’d like to say this diagnosis is limited to two personae—the wife, mom, and respectable PTO board member living opposite the gleefully viscous paranormal romance author who tortures heroes and heroines alike—but beyond these fronts, is a whole other level of dark. See, lately I’ve been positively entranced with reading and writing the types of stories that would keep any sane person up at night, which is kind of ironic since….

…I’m scared of horror movies. Witches, vampires, zombies, ghosts and all those other baddies that go bump in the night? I’ll read ‘em, write ‘em, but go and see those monsters on the big screen? No way. For years I tried to pretend I could handle it. My friends all loved these kinds of ghastly productions and my hubby? Well when we first started dating he thought it was a great excuse to get me to cuddle up real close to him. He was right. What he didn’t count on was later, after things got serious, being introduced to a night of tossing and turning because I couldn’t purge the nightmares from my mind, or the hike in the electric bill because I had to have every light on in the house just to take a late night jaunt to the bathroom!  So no more horror movies for me…I’ll stick to writing about them thank you very much.

So that's it, some of my deepest darkest secrets. Feel free to ask any questions or, even better, perhaps you'll be brave enough to share your own little known secrets!

Until later,
Lady Hellion


22 comments:

  1. Welcome Tes! So glad to have you as a Lady Scribe!

    Oh, I'm with you..totally freaked out by horror movies. My imagination does not need that kind of fuel..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I keep telling my DH it's because he's not as imaginative as I that he doesn't get scared after watching a horror movie. I think he still thinks I'm chicken. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Yay Tes! Completely with you on the horror movies. It's very difficult trying to comfort my 5 yo sometimes when inside I'm like "I totally get you, kid. Right there with ya."

    You have my sympathies on the pasta thing. I love it way too much to give up. Everything in moderation is my motto.

    I'm a crazy music girl, too. Used to go to Lollapalooza every year until it got overrun by those young whippersnappers and the crowds got to be too much for me. (I'm old!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Hanna. My youngest asks me things like "are their ghosts" and mama bear says no while inside I'm going "...maybe." I think knowing how much to tell them and when is one of the hardest things about parenting!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Tes! Welcome to Lady Scribes! It's so great to have you join us. I laughed when I read that about you making up your own lyrics, because I also love music and sing the wrong lyrics. Like not even in the ball park wrong! Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" is always "It's a kiss from the rose on the brain." Hahaha... I know that's not it, but that's what I always hear and sing. And Alanis Morrisette's ex-bf always takes back the "cross-eyed bear" that he gave to her. Then there's one song from The Shins that I still don't know the lyrics, but it sounds like "give me the remote control you condescending b****". My hubby has corrected me many times, but I still can't remember the actual lyrics. :D

    Oh, and the whole horror movies thing? I hate them!!! I was afraid to sleep in our bedroom with the TV in there after The Ring, and I wouldn't go into the basement alone for at least a week after The Blaire Witch Project. I kept imagining I would see the guy standing in the corner. That caused a bit of a problem since the washer and dryer were in the basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Samantha! It's good to know I have a kindred spirit on here. You and I can sing the wrong lyrics together at the next Sourcebooks dinner ;-) As far as movies, I think I may even be worse... I get scared with movies that I've been told aren't even true "horror" movies. Things like signs and the sixth sense. And don't even mention The Others to me. Couldn't walk through my house alone for weeks!

      Delete
    2. hahahahaha, the "cross-eyed bear" hahahahaha

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Tes!
    Okay, so I'm not a music fan. I know, I know, but it depresses me. I can only listen to music in the car or I get gloomy. I don't know why. ;/
    I'm also giving up all that refined goodness under the pressure to get healthy. My vice is bread--Lawd, I loves me some bread! Dropping it makes for an extremely grouchy Bear.
    As for horror movies--I LOVE them! I adore all things that go bump in the night and actually like to watch scary movies when my hubs is working nights and I'm all alone (save for the sleeping kiddies, of course). That's not weird, right? RIGHT?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My downfall is fresh, warm bakery bread. The good news is I love some of the awesome whole grain kinds when they're right out of the oven so that's not so bad...right? As far as the horror movies... well, given how much I strive to avoid them, I'm going to have to give you comparative weird points (not that that's saying much given how weird I can be ;-)

      Delete
  5. Welcome Tes!!
    Oh, man - me and horror movies do NOT mix. Actually, me and horror *anything* don't mix. I am a huge scaredy cat and an even worse nightmare sufferer, so forget it!
    As for pasta, I *love* the Ronzoni veggie pastas - a full serving of veggies in each serving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I love the veggie pasta too. Especially with a good butter herb sauce and roasted veggies... Sigh. If I could ditch the butter sauce I bet that might actually be healthy!

      Delete
  6. lol, I hear that if you can stay away from the bad carbs for 2 weeks you will lose your craving for it.
    I don't like slasher movies, can't even watch Dexter without getting queasy. But I do like to read that stuff! I say go for it on writing the dark thoughts .
    my secret... I like to eat in the shower. Especially cold things like cereal and yogurt. But I have eaten spaghetti in there. No judging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I think you hear wrong, Sharon. I've avoided them for that long before. Didn't work. No one time I did avoid them for almost 6 months. I think by month 4 I was doing pretty good with the cravings but the moment I fell off the wagon? Oy... :-D

      Delete
  7. YAY Tes! So happy to have you aboard! :)

    I hate gory horror movies.Event Horizon comes to mind. That movie should be BANNNED!!!! Grosses me out and I have nightmares. Blech!

    I have no secrets. BWHAHAHAHAHAH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Marquita? Truly? No secrets? That sounds like a challenge to drag them out of you ;-) Thanks for the welcome!

      Delete
  8. HA! I can't even watch Hellboy (my FAVORITE) without getting creeped out. ;D Welcome to Lady Scribes, Tes! Since I am crazy about music, and keep it on almost the entire day, I think we'll get along JUST fine, lol... I would be lost without Pandora.
    BTW, that cover of yours is SMOKIN'! Omg, it's really beautiful. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the start of a beautiful friendship ;-) As for the covers... Which one are you drooling over? My upcoming release, Prince of Shadows, in November has me panting :-P

      Delete
  9. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Tes! It was fun 'getting to know about you'! If a pasta-support group existed...I would be one of its founding members! As for horror movies...I teach Psychology and one of my students gave a presentation on the psychology behind horror movies and the genre lost its appeal. (Kind of like the wheat pasta!) ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christi - Thanks for the welcome! If you find that support group, please let me know :-) My kids think I make a mean mac and cheese too. It's so hard to try and resist when I make it for them!

      Delete
  10. Hi Tes....I LOVE horror movies/shows.. I don't know why it doesn't bother me...but put a clown in the mix and forget it. I like most music and Love pasta...don't have any ideas for healthy pasta..I make a mean homemade mac and cheese. I enjoy reading your books so keep it up and looking forward to meeting you in Feb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy - Oh! I forgot you're going to be at Olde City :-) I can't wait to match up faces with some of the awesome peeps I've met online! If we have some time, we'll have to compare mac n cheese recipes over drinks. I'm always looking for new ones as I have two mac and cheese addicts in my family!

      Delete
  11. Lady Hellion? Love that :) Gah pasta kills me too! So hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete