Our Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

It's Been One of THOSE Weeks...


Last week was not one of my best, and it ended with my boss saying the following words to me – YOU KNOW, YOUR LIFE COULD BE A BRITISH SITCOM.

I wasn’t sure what to make of that, and I did send out a Tweet about that very thing. One of my followers replied with “At least he didn’t say your life was like an episode of Mr. Bean.” And there is that, I suppose.

I could soo live there! 
If my life was like an episode of Mr. Bean, you’d find me in some sort of asylum (and not the kind found in American Horror story because (1) that particular season takes place in 1964, not 2013 and (2) it’s an American horror series, not a British sitcom.)

But if my life is going to be like something, why can't it be like Downton Abbey? I would make an excellent dowager countess. Just ask anyone who knows me. 

But I digress…

My boss was, of course, referring to all of the insanity I dealt with in a one week period.

I'd totally rather do this than have to
endure some people's company.
MONDAY  - there was the hour and a half meeting at my son’s high school with his guidance counselor, math teacher, assistant principal, math resource, and – oh yeah – my ex husband. I’d rather have a root canal every day of the week than have to sit in a room with my ex-husband for an hour and half. I did 13 years in that particular prison. I’ve done my time thank you very much, warden. (My son wasn’t in any sort of trouble, by the way. We were dealing with why his math teacher seemed incapable or unwilling to return emails. Still not sure I'm clear on that, either.)

TUESDAY - brought the return of an old drama to my life. A while back, my youngest brother was assaulted and spent a week in the hospital recovering from his injuries.  I won’t go into all of those details because (1) it will set me off again and (2) his injuries were so traumatic, just thinking about them turns my stomach. And so on Tuesday, when I learned he’d dropped the charges against his assailant, it sent me through the roof. When someone nearly kills you and leaves you for dead, they need to put in jail. Period. They need to be off the streets to keep the rest of society safe. After listening to my tirade - which, you know, lasted FOREVER - my brother saw the error of his ways, and I’m happy to report that the charges have been reinstated. I didn't even know that was possible!

WEDNESDAY - I called work first thing that morning to tell them my freezer stopped working, but I promised I'd be in as soon as the repairman was done.

THURSDAY  -  Ah, Thursday was a good day. Thursday was my only good day. Thursday was the eye of the storm, where everything is quiet and you think it’s over. Thursday was a lie!

There's even a droplet of water that's
about to fall right here!
FRIDAY – the real fun began on Friday. I dropped my son off at high school and returned home to throw in a load of laundry before work. I noticed the laundry room floor was wet and I looked up to find the ceiling was leaking water. One plumber and one fixed toilet tank later, and I now have a slew of workmen in my house drying out the walls with big machines that make my house sound like an aircraft carrier. The bathroom floor and laundry room ceiling are both things of the past.

I don’t really understand how any of this would make for good television viewing in Britain, but if someone in London wants to pay me for my life story, I’ve got more.

This week hasn’t been any better. There’s (1) toilet in my bathtub and none of the others are working (this has something to do with the pressure from the missing toilet. I don't really understand that, but whatever.)  That's beside the point, which is...How am I supposed to live without any working bathrooms? Luckily, I have plenty of friends who’ll let me use their showers, etc. But come on!! At this rate I’ll end up in that asylum WITHOUT my life being like an episode of Mr. Bean.

The one bright spot is I’ll end up with a remodeled bathroom after this. If I can last that long.

Have you ever had one of THOSE weeks? Are you having one of THOSE weeks right now now?  If your life was a sitcom, British or otherwise, what would it be called? And what should I call mine, in case, you know - someone in London wants to pay me for my life story?

38 comments:

  1. Oh, Ava... I'm sorry. But I'm seriously LOL, because you couldn't write this stuff and have anyone buy into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, Catherine. You'd get..."Come on, no one would have all that happen to them at the same time!" ;)

      Delete
  2. If I hadn't had similar or worse weeks I'd totally be laughing. Having been in these weeks more times than I care to imagine, being in one RIGHT NOW DAMMIT, I totally want to drive over and hug you and tell you it'll be ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks, Jennelle! You're having one of these weeks too?!?! I'm so very sorry. Hang in there, we'll get through all of this one way or another. (Meaning, I'm not ruling out the asylum route. LOL)

      Delete
  3. Bless your heart, Ava. What a mess you've had to deal with. Thank goodness my week has been fairly quiet - so far. However, these problems seem to come in bunches. Hope everything calms down soon and next week is perfect. Wishing a lottery win for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie! Now a lottery win I could totally do. THEN I'd have a sitcom on my hands. "Watch all the hijinks Ava gets into as she spends her millions." ;) I like the sound of that.

      Delete
    2. Then, I shall do a voodoo dance of some kind to ensure that you win!! ;-) Good luck!

      Delete
    3. LOL. Thanks! Guess I should buy a lottery ticket. I've never done that. Have to have a ticket to win. ;)

      Delete
  4. Sorry life sucks right now. Could be worse...you could be talking to lawyers.

    Just think of the lovely bathroom you'll have eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean you're talking to lawyers, Beth? LOL.

      And the promise of a lovely bathroom is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

      Delete
  5. OMG! That sounds very much like my week last week. We are having our master bathroom remodeled and wouldn't you know, the other shower stopped working, so we had a plumber come the Friday before last week. $450 to have him totally muck up the job, including water shooting out of the pipes and running into the basement. ON the weekend! So Monday, we had a different plumber come and fix it, but he had to knock a big hole in the shower wall. I guess we'll be remodeling the other bathroom soon now.

    Then Tuesday I had a crazy workday that I won't get into. Wednesday my hubby and I had an argument. The cross-trainer broke the same day, but it was completely unrelated to our argument. LOL. The music store also called Wednesday because our son shattered his violin in October, and there was a big mix up about what insurance it was being filed to. And so on and so on!

    Plus, the tile guy didn't show up for two days last week and had to be here through the weekend. Our master bath has been torn up since the first week in December! ARGH!!! I'm just happy to get all the bad stuff out of the way so we can start enjoying 2013!

    I hope your bathroom gets fixed soon. This is the reason I would never make it in Regency England. Indoor plumbing = good stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha ~ OMG! Did the first plumber refund you? That would so set me off. I'm getting mad on your behalf.

      Indoor plumbing is awesome (you know - when it works.)

      How much longer on your remodeling?

      Delete
    2. I never want to live somewhere with only one bathroom, because I want to always have access to at least one. LOL. But you two have stories that make me scared something will happen where I won't have any working bathrooms!!!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Ava I'm so sorry. I would be nutty without my bathroom. Honestly, I don't know any neighbors around here so I'd be moving to a hotel. Those we do have, at least. Sending lots of hugs and good vibes.
    L. j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LJ.

      Luckily The Scientist lives less than two miles away. So I've been showering there in the mornings. Pack my clothes for the day, head over to his house in my pjs. Take my shower, get dressed and go to work.

      I've been making my son take his showers at his father's house.

      And we're not spending a ton of time at home right now.

      Delete
    2. I have two (2!) working bathrooms, Ava. If you have need, you know where to find me.

      Delete
  7. Let's see:

    Christmas Day- Hot Water Heater Broke
    Two days later- Dryer broke
    A week later- Vacuum broke&I dropped a glass, breaking it
    Three days ago- Stomach Flu (AWESOME on deadline)
    Yesterday- Turned in DRIVE ME CRAZY to my editor (WIN!)
    Today- I need new tires

    Thanks for helping me see that I'm not the only one. I feel your pain, Ava!

    BUT Yesterday I turned in my new book to my editor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marquita ~ OMG! A broken hot water heater on Christmas Day??? That is awful. I'm so sorry.

      (Yay for getting your book turned in.)

      Delete
    2. I had to write it twice, just to remind myself that it did happen, lol! ;)

      Delete
    3. LOL. I did notice that, but I wasn't going to say anything. ;)

      Delete
  8. Having one now. sigh. Hope yours is over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in the foreseeable future. :(

      But at least I'll get to hang with Jerrica and Catherine next week. I can pretend, in my own mind, that I have working bathrooms back at home.

      Delete
  9. I am looking for appliance repairmen right this minute. The electrician who came out yesterday fixed my stove with Duct Tape. Yes, folks. Duct tape. That was after he tripped my creepy meter when he walked into my house without knocking. -when he arrived-

    Last week it was 3 grand for Big Girls teeth.

    And they have postponed my surgery once again.

    Anyone up for cocktails this evening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good heavens, Mari!

      I say we go tomorrow night if we can travel around town (I'll have my son tonight.) It's supposed to snow tonight!! And if you ever need a good electrician, I have one. Excellent work. Not creepy. And reasonably priced. My favorite combination :)

      Delete
    2. Duct tape? I thought only I was crazy enough to fix things with duct tape, and that is only until someone who really knows how to fix the stupid thing comes and fixes it properly.

      Delete
  10. Wow, that sucks!! I can't believe you had to go through all that in one week. I hope you scheduled a massage and a mani/pedi for next week, haha. (As if any of us have the time or money for all that.) I definitely had one of those days yesterday and today hasn't been much better. In fact, just got home from rushing to the pediatrician for Andrew's appointment only for them to tell me it was at 2 and not 3. I totally flaked on the time and now have to come back tomorrow. Possibly in the snow. :P Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Sarra! I hope Andrew is ok and it was just a checkup.

      As for doing something fun and pampering related next week...I'm actually headed to Cozumel on the Liberty of the Seas with the FRW Chapter. I'll get to share a cabin with Catherine Gayle (and see Jerrica Knight-Catania too) and listen to Charlaine Harris speak. So even if I don't do a massage or mani/pedi... I hope to get some writing done in the Caribbean. :) And I'll try to forget about the workmen stomping around my house.

      Delete
  11. That really sucks and I hope the week has gotten better. Reading these posts makes me so thankful that my hubby does all of our electric and plumbing work. The only thing he can't do is HVAC, and for that, I just call the repairman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda ~ You're sooo lucky! My scientist has remodeled my kitchen and he's done an amazing job; but he's not a plumber or electrician.

      Delete
  12. Oh God, I love this blog post...because it reminds me that other people have crappy weeks too. Mine was beyond bad in a way I won't take totally public but I'll just say that after my week fell apart, I only wanted a cheese calazone. And b/c it was such a bad week, I got myself that calazone and as I sat down, opened the box, and cut into it, I found it filled with sausage. So that calazone became a metaphor for my week. A 'sausage' kind of week. Hope your week's turned around! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh, Christi! You couldn't even get your cheese calzone! I hope you've gotten one since. :)

      Delete
  13. Eek! Sorry for the drama, but it can only get better from here! (right??)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl, you are like a walking apocalypse! Baha! Thank goodness tomorrow is Friday and you can start off a long, relaxing weekend! *crosses fingers for you*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andris! And you're my witness to the aircraft carrier sound since you were here last Saturday when they were installing it.

      Delete
  15. Geez! We've all had things like those happen, just not usually so close together! So maybe now you'll get a break and have a few weeks without unexpected trauma/drama. And find those silver linings - like getting to redo the bathroom (I don't know how I would live without the working toilet in the house!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Di! I'll keep looking and looking for those silver linings. :)

      Delete