Our Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lady Scribes Welcomes New York Times Bestselling Author Carly Phillips




Amazon | B&N| Apple | Kobo

Writing is a solitary profession.  I sit behind a computer screen and make characters and stories come to life.  Alone.  At least, that was how I did it for years, relying on email to reach out and talk to writing friends in between working.  Waiting for them to write back.  

Not any longer.  Not since the advent of a little thing called Twitter.  Twitter can open up a writer's world and make it a little less lonely.  It can give you people to write with.  Really!  It did all that for me.

In writing PERFECT FIT, I found a group of writers who were online at the same time as me in the morning.  Who wanted to write at that time.  Who decided it would be fun for us to do what's called a #sprint - meaning at a time when we all agree, we start writing in 30 min increments, checking in at the end of the half hour.  Sometimes it's a huge amount of pages/words and sometimes it's a piddly embarrassment.  But guess what? That piddly amount adds up.  On a good day, we would do 4 thirty minute increments - that's two hours of writing time, four to five days a week.  

Thanks to these people who I've never met in person, PERFECT FIT was written.  Not so solitary anymore, am I?  

The best part of sprinting is knowing there are people relying on me to show up at a certain time, so their books get written too.  The side benefit is that my book got written as well.  Sprinting taught me discipline.  Sprinting got me so into my book I couldn't wait to sit down each day and work.  The bad news? When the book was finished and I went through that period of plotting another story, then painstakingly pushing myself through the beginning, (which I hate) discipline fell by the wayside.  I had to start all over again and relearn how to #sprint.  How to show up every day.  But I managed.  Want to know why? Because my #sprinting partners were there.  Waiting.




New York Times bestselling author Carly Phillips tossed away her legal briefs and a career as an attorney to become a stay at home mom.  Within the year, she turned her love of reading into an obsession with writing.  Over 25 published novels later, Carly writes sexy contemporary romances, striking a balance between entertainment and emotion, and giving her readers the compelling story they have come to expect and enjoy.
Carly is a New York Times bestseller, USA Today Bestseller and Publisher’s Weekly bestseller.  The triple play earned her a spot on Romance Writers of America’s coveted Honor Roll.  In 2002, Carly’s novel, The Bachelor, became Kelly Ripa’s “Reading with Ripa” pick on Live with Regis and Kelly, making it the first romance ever chosen on a nationally televised bookclub.
Carly received her undergraduate degree from Brandeis University and is a graduate of Boston University School of Law (J.D.). To date, Carly has over twenty-five novels to her credit, all available wherever books are sold.
When not writing or playing online, Carly loves to read, to knit, and to spend time with her family.  She lives in Purchase, New York with her husband, two daughters and two soft-coated wheaten terriers who act like their third and fourth children.

You can find Carly all over the web:


~ Website
Blog

One lucky winner will receive one of my backlist Serendipity books - Serendipity, Destiny, Karma or Kismet  (e-only) as a prize for commenting!

23 comments:

  1. When we have people depending on us, that is when we show up more. Human nature, I guess. I know that I would have never continued walking if I didn't have a buddy expecting me to show up and walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a great feeling knowing you're not alone and even more fun when others are sprinting with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great having people help and encourage you to do something. Love all your books keep up the sprinting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great feeling to know people are there for you when you need them the most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time seems to fly by when we're working on projects with someone else. Great way to begin each day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so awesome. Knowing people depend on you always helps me do anything and to feel like you have someone to brag and moan too helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having someone you can depend on is one of the greatest treasures one can have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Carly! Welcome back to Lady Scribes! The #sprint sessions hold everyone accountable. Even when we're not in the mood, knowing someone else is making the same effort is a good kick in the patooty. ;}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back, Carly! Oh, my...the book sounds fabulous!

    My only problem with sprints is I don't like to be pulled out of the book to report..and then I'm tempted to play on twitter...

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY for the Very Fabulous Carly! I think it's so important to have someone or someones you can depend on to help keep you accountable. Especially when it's a project that requires a lot of inside your head time. ;)

    It's nice to know that others are cheering you on and kicking your butt when you need it.

    Love #sprinting with you, Andris and Olivia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back to Lady Scribes, Carly. The sprinting sounds like a great idea and definitely something I will try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Twitter, I learn so many new and interesting writing tips among other things each day from all the authors and editors I follow...thanks for the great contest!

    taccb UNDERSCORE 1981 AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was fun reading your tweets while you sprinted! Glad the book is done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your terrific successes, Carly. Not only are you a terrific author, but you have what sounds like a wonderful family and lots of happiness. Life just doesn't get any better than this!

    I so enjoy your books and am so very happy for you. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats to Carly on her new release! I'm *dying* to read this series :) Thanks for sharing a behind the scenes... it's fun to find out the tidbits of how these awesome books get written :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That sounds awesome to have a team to encourage each other!Congratulations on your new release and the success with your books! I love your books and have this series on my TBR list! I can't wait to read it:) Have a great day!
    allysonbrann06@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have only read one of the Serendipity books and really enjoyed it. I must read more.
    debby236 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for having me again! Was fun. You know some of the Ladies here sprinted with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back to Lady Scribes, Carly! I just discovered sprinting this summer and love it. I teach full time so for me, when I can find someone who will sprint it forces me to be focused and honest with every minute I have. And I too found an amazing support network through the www!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay Carly for your new book. I have your books on my TBR. Plus, Marquita loves your writing so much and I trust her.
    countessofmar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrts on the new release Carly :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG I love the concept of Sprinting! I've never heard of it before, but my god it must be amazing for motivation and focus!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on the new book! Can't wait

    ReplyDelete