Our Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

New Beginnings

by Marquita Valentine



January is a time for new beginnings. A time for resolutions and I will not subcomb to that delicious, chocolatey goodness that is--ah, forget it, I'm eating it anyway.

Yes, that is my youngest, on his very 1st birthday, turning blue from his Oswald cake. 


*ahem*

Anyway, all this thinking about new beginnings made me think of things that used to be. Which inevitably led me to this website The Mindset List. For those of you not familiar with this infamous list of things that the current graduating class has never know or always has always known is a widely circulate and copied list. 

I do find it kinda funny that there wasn't a list for when I graduated from high school. And by funny,  I mean wailing into the mirror that I'm O.L.D. old kinda funny. The list, begun in 1998, is compiled by Beloit College's Keefer Professor of the Humanities, Tom McBride and Emeritus Public Affairs Director, Ron Nief.

So in honor of turning another year older this month, I give you a sampling of the things that the class of 2013 has either never known or has always have.


Brace yerself, Bertha!


For these students, Martha Graham, Pan American Airways, Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, Miles Davis, The Dallas Times Herald, Gene Roddenberry, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.

They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.

Tattoos have always been very chic and highly visible.

They have never used a card catalog to find a book.

They have never been Saved by the Bell


Ready to go crawl back in bed, yet? Or do you feel a leetle sorry for their generation? 

So, your assignment for today: Peruse the list at The Mindset Website, any year, and pick the one that stood out the most. 




19 comments:

  1. Good heavens, Marquita! There are so many to choose. I can't just pick one...

    Outdated icons with images of floppy discs for “save,” a telephone for “phone,” and a snail mail envelope for “mail” have oddly decorated their tablets and smart phone screens....HILARIOUS!

    And...

    There have always been blue M&Ms, but no tan ones...I miss the tan ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like a bittersweet thing, Ava. OMGosh, you are so right about the icons. I never thought about that!

      I had forgotten about the tans ones. Bring back the tan!

      Delete
  2. For students entering college this year, The Green Giant has always been Shrek. LOL Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, I tried to pick ones that weren't too depressing to me, lol! ;)

      Delete
  3. This one makes me remember all of those after school specials;

    Being a latchkey kid has never been a big deal.

    And this one always makes me feel old:

    MTV has never featured music videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, MTV seriously needs to do something about that! But most people upload their videos to You Tube and you don't have to wait for the VJ (remember that term?!) to play it.

      Delete
    2. I hate that MTV is still called MTV. It is NOT the MTV I used to watch religiously.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, they should call it RTV. Reality Television.

      Delete
  4. Women have always outnumbered men in college. Now, granted, I went to a university that calls itself a woman's university, so I expected it there. But for it to be true across the board, and for it to be the only thing they know? 0_0

    And this one makes me feel really old, because I'm still amazed and delighted when I see it: There has always been blue Jell-O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about that, Catherine. I mean, NC STATE guys used to have to go down to Meredith College to find dates and to Peace College to get a , well, nevermind. ;)

      I refuse to eat Jell-O. It's too wiggly for me. ;)

      Delete
  5. Card catalog? Saved by the Bell? Lord a mercy, there are others as old as I am out there? Anyone remember "Roly Poly fish-heads" or how the word "Virgin" used to be an almost dirty word, (unless you were Catholic, then it was the opposite extreme), or how about acid washed jeans? Okay, now I'm just getting sentimental.
    Funny post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill: Fishheads, fishhead, roly poly fishhead. Eat some, Eat some. Yum, Yum, YUm. I think those are the lyrics, or at least the ones I remember from Junior High. Yes Junior High NOT Middle School!

      LOL! Funny how these lists make us all nostalgic, huh? :)

      Delete
  6. I was thinking zebra stripe gum, but they are not really missing out that. That gum was disgusting. Then you have clear Pepsi. How many of you remember that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Melody!

      I never drank clear Pepsi, as only Coke was allowed in our house growing up! They never had new coke either. *shudders*

      Delete
  7. Oh Marquita, I have a birthday this month and let me just say that we won't be celebrating it. Ugh, my oldest turned 20 last year and so much has changed since then. It's unreal. Remember Big League Chew anyone? Oh, and Pink and the Brain will always be my favorite cartoon characters. Loved them. It's not even funny how horrible the cartoons of today are. But at least Cartoon Network got rid of Cow and Chicken. *blegh* Okay so here are my picks:

    They never “rolled down” a car window.
    “Off the hook” has never had anything to do with a telephone.
    Music has always been “unplugged.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Big League Chew. How about Garbage pail kid cards. I use to love those things.

      Delete
  8. I never saw this site before but love it! (if it is a bit depressing and makes me feel a teeny bit old, as well). : ) I looked at 2016 and laughed over #47 because it is so true!
    47. Before they purchase an assigned textbook, they will investigate whether it is available for rent or purchase as an e-book.
    I remember going to the old student union at UConn and trying to find the cheapest, LEAST highlighted, text on my professors' list. How many trips with my roommates to the co-op would have never happened with the kindle, nooks, and iPads. But man I bet those books, some of which cost $500 each will be much cheaper! : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tattoo one stands out to me. Remember when Dennis Rodman was the ONLY basketball player with tattoos and he was the "bad boy"?

    ReplyDelete