Our Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Not Another Goal/Resolution Blog!

It seems everyone is talking about goals, as is the habit this time of year. I am a very goal oriented person, but I've never really fallen in with the New Year's Resolution thing. It is just too...I don't know...forced? Yeah, that's probably it.

That said, I am sitting down and making a list of goals for myself, despite the seeming forced nature of it. These are not your average, run-of-the-mill beginning of a new year sorts of goals, though.

Nope. My goals are a bit different.


  1. No matter how strong the urge to adopt a new kitten may become (and it WILL be strong), resist. Two cats are enough, even for a Crazy Cat Lady. And no matter how much Dakota may be trying to trick me into thinking she's finally becoming a normal cat, it is all a lie. She is not normal. She would not adjust. There will be no more kittens in my house. At least not this year.
  2. Read a book in a genre I've never tried or never liked. I read lots of the same sorts of books, and I read certain books over and over again in lieu of trying something new. But you know what? Many times that I've tried reading something outside of my normal realm, I've fallen in love. And I think that those other genres could help me to become a better writer. So I'm going to go there. I'm going to pick up something new and unexpected, and I'm going to give it a go.
  3. See all the new superhero movies of the year...but try something sci-fi, too. I will be the first to admit I'm a huge sucker for Superman, Spiderman, Batman, the Avengers, et al. I will also be the first to admit that anything dealing with alien species and outer space, unless it is a tried and true favorite like Star Wars or Star Trek, makes me want to run screaming in the other direction. But something happened a couple of years ago. One of those superheroes came from another planet (Thor), and I found I didn't absolutely hate it. So I'm going to try some more. I might not love it as much as I'd love them to make yet another version of Spiderman, but I'm going to give it a try.
  4. Let the dishes sit in the sink for a bit. I'm almost freakishly intent upon immediately washing the dishes after a meal or at least loading them into the dishwasher. This comes from living in a house growing up where the dishes would pile up until there wasn't anything clean to eat on, and still people would go find a paper plate or napkin to eat on instead of washing the dishes. I know why I'm like this. But it wouldn't kill me to let the dishes pile up through the day and then deal with them all at night in a single session. I'm going to learn to find a middle ground. Granted, I will probably have to start small. Letting the dishes wait until after I've eaten my meal might be all I can handle at first. LOL.
  5. Buy a cute outfit in a color other than green, blue, purple, or red. Yes, jewel tones are great for me. But that doesn't mean those are the only colors that I should own. Part of the process in completing this one will require me to pass when I discover a cute outfit in one of these particular hues, so it will mean I'll have to have some restraint. But I will do it.
Do you have any oddball sorts of goals for yourself this year? And would it be cheating if I went with a pastel shade of the aforementioned colors?

21 comments:

  1. Catherine,
    I don't think a pastel shade would be cheating. Go for it! Hmm... I don't know if I have any oddball goals this year. Maybe that will be my goal: to come up with an oddball goal. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Samantha. I think oddball goals are the best sort, because they're the ones I'm most likely to achieve. I think I'm going to try to stay away from the pastels and see what happens. But I might go with them anyway.

      Delete
    2. I think pastels would look good with your skin tone. You have one of those complexions that can wear just about any color.

      Delete
  2. No oddball goals. I'm almost to the point of not making New Year's goals because I never succeed. So I've dropped to walk in the park, write, and be happy. I hope to keep these this year.

    You'll be happy to know they are revamping Superman again this year, Iron Man 3, new Star Trek 2, and Thor 2 will be coming out this year. ;)

    I get a lot of free books to try and read outside my genre. A lot of inspirational or cowboy/western novels have ended up on my tablet because if it's free, I won't feel bad if I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in LOVE with the preview for the new Superman movie, Beth. And I've seen the ones for Star Trek as well. I just hope they've finally broken the curse of Trek films (one good one, one bad one, one good one, one bad one...) The last one was a good film, so this one is due to stink. Maybe they'll have finally managed two good ones in a row.

      That's a good idea on scouring the free reads for trying new genres. :)

      Delete
  3. Catherine,
    The goal that sticks out to me is reading something in a genre I don't usually gravitate towards. That's very hard for me. Not that I haven't enjoyed other genres when I've given them a chance, but I still have to talk myself into them! I'm such an extremist. ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sooooo bad about that, Andris. I was all set to try something different recently. But then I picked up one of my tried-and-true favorites instead. Waaaahhh! I couldn't make myself. But I will. Someday.

      Delete
  4. I have the same problem with dishes. I have no clue where it came from. The thought of attracting bugs, I suppose, but not sure. I'm just happy with a perpetually clean eating area. I have no such goal to change that behavior.

    I have now three cats. And a demon puppy. The puppy and the children are moving out soon. VERY SOON. So once they are gone, I have to make the same pledge to not bring home every kitty I see. It's hard though. I want them all...

    I'm a red head. We're stuck with a certain set of compatible colors. If I stray too far from those, I turn orange. Me being orange is just not good for anyone.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't ever seem to suffer from the oh-look-how-cute-that-baby-is-omg-I-need-a-baby syndrome anymore. For me, it is all about kittens. I have to remind myself that kittens grow up to be cats...and cats will do what cats will do. LOL.

      So true on the redhead front. I'm sure that is why 98% of my wardrobe is in these select colors. But I'm determined to TRY something else. At least once.

      Delete
  5. Catherine, those are great goals! I love that you made goals and not resolutions -- resolutions are usually about putting a stop to bad habits, but that's not very empowering.

    What genre of books are you thinking of exploring???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mom is a huge fan of medical thrillers, and I've never once picked one up. So I might try one by her favorite author and we'll see. Or I could read something YA. I tend to only read those that have become huge bestsellers that everyone is talking about and movies are being made about. And I love them. You'd think I would love them enough that I would automatically gravitate toward YA when I go to the book store, and so I would read a lot more of it. But I don't. So maybe I'll try a YA that hasn't already been read by everyone and their dog, just to see. :)

      Delete
  6. My oddball goal is to help you keep to your oddball goal of not getting another kitten, lol! And also, I think you would be beautiful in cream. Just right for your haircolor, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! No more kittens. That point recently where I was contemplating it? Torturous. I wanted one sooooo bad I could practically feel it snuggling me.

      Cream would be a good option! I used to have an outfit in cream that I loved. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  7. Hmm...I think my oddball goal is to be okay with being an oddball. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I accepted this fact about myself a long time ago. Join us. LOL.

      Delete
  8. I adopted a kitten this year and she's now five months old. I adore her and would love to have a sister or two for her. Sigh...I know that I'm sounding like a Crazy Cat Lady so I'm literally having to sit on my hands to keep from going outside with: "Here, Kitty Kitty!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, it is more than okay to be a CCL. I accepted my membership in that sorority a long time ago, and haven't regretted it. If you are going to get a playmate for your little kitty, now would be a great time to do it. Kittens adjust better to change than cats do, so if you add a new member to the pride while they're still very young, they typically accept one another quickly. :)

      Delete
  9. I swore I wasn't a cat lady until two beautiful little kitties showed up at my back door looking for a home. They got themselves named and boxes of fancy feast! If my DH wasn't allergic they'd be in already...even so, he runs the risk of being 'replaced' by Mr. Shaggybottoms. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Mr. Caldwell! He might soon find himself passed over, huh?

      Delete
  10. Catherine, I have no oddball goals. Maybe that makes me a oddball and so now *all* of my goals are oddball goals. ;P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like your reverse thinking, Marquita...

      Delete