Our Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

Real Heroes Wear Aprons!


By:
Christi Caldwell

I’m thrilled to be joining the wonderful Lady Scribes as  one of the new Lady Scribe bloggers! I write Historical Romance set in the Regency time period.

My husband and I have the great pleasure (on most days) to work together. We’re both teachers at the same school. As a result he is also my carpool partner (on all days).  Which of course means we spend nearly 19 (plus or minus the times we’re in our classrooms) hours together. (The other six we spend sleeping—together).

We have a para-professional who works with both of us. She’s hilarious mostly and definitely opinionated. One day she jokingly made a comment that Mr. C reached when he ‘got me’. Which is funny because I’m the one who picked him up…when we were 15 years old. I was the bold heroine who sauntered up to him in the middle of his English class and staked a claim…and the rest is a 17 year history of love, laughter, and tears.

But then I got to thinking. “Wait! Not everyone sees what I see?”

Imagine my surprise.



I didn’t bother to point out his VERY impressive vitae: captain of the high school hockey team, captain of the high school baseball team, and my favorite winner of “Best Hair” his senior year in high school! Now that’s an award!

Of course time stole that precious award and left my DH nearly bald…but he is still no less of prince charming to me.

Which of course got me thinking about my VERY high standards for hero material and led me to create my top 5 criteria for determining a hero.  So here it is, in no particular order:



The Hero List
   1. A hero must always be comfortable wearing neck-wear.   

2
             2. A hero must be willing to whisk his family away to far-off castles.




3.      And a hero must of course, have a deep appreciation for music and the arts.

4.      Heroes cook…….
but MOST importantly...they bake!

5. And lastly, real heroes love you no matter how bad a hair day/clothes day you are having!
 

So here’s the question: What’s your criteria for a REAL life hero?!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Christi! And welcome to Lady Scribes! I like a hesitant or grudging hero. Weird, I know. I like 'em somewhat jaded and resistant to helping the heroine, but in the end does everything in his power to make things right for her. He doesn't even have to be nice about it. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andris! I'm so excited to be part of Lady Scribes! I adore the grudging hero! They always make it more fun (at least for the reader);)

      Delete
  2. Christi ~ Welcome to Lady Scribes! We're so happy to have you with us. As for real life heroes... mine finds ways to make my life easier/better. Nothing makes me love him more than when he comes home and says "I've been thinking about your son. I think if we do X, it will help him with Y."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Ava. I fell in love all over again with my DH when I saw him with my son! And thanks for the warm welcome!

      Delete
  3. Welcome, Christi! I'm married to a man with whom I worked and now that we're retired, we're still at home together, all day, every day. Hee-Hee! I'm kidding. I love it and him too. After 46 years of marriage, I think I'll keep him.

    So, criteria for a REAL life hero. They need to have compassion, empathy and a great sense of humor. All of those things are huge in my book.

    Hope you will enjoy the Ladies here. Everyone has fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Connie! Yes, compassion, empathy, and humor are a definite must! (In real-life and on the page). Though I personally like the dry humor more in my heroes than my husband. ;)

      Delete
  4. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Christi! I like wounded and reluctant heroes in fiction, but I'm with Ava and Connie--in real life I like a guy who you can count on, who is easy going and can laugh. Thank goodness for Valiant Husband, who is all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! I'm happy to be part of the Lady Scribes. Yup...agreed...give them to me wounded and reluctant on the page. Hmmm Valiant Husband, now you've got me thinking of a title for my DH.

      Delete
  5. It's so wonderful to have you on the Lady Scribes team, Christi!! And yes, I think that list is rather wonderful :) My only addition is that a real hero cleans! Man I love my husband, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! And yes, they do clean...but then my hero does not which is probably why it didn't make my list. : )

      Delete
  6. LOL I think you hit all the important points, Christi! I love it and I especially love the Tarheels cap in the last picture! Love it! So glad to have you here with us! You all are adorable and I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie...I thought I did as well, until I read Samantha's DH who massages her shoulders while writing. How'd I leave that off the list?!

      Delete
  7. Welcome to Lady Scribes Christi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Christi! I'm super happy you are here! :)
    I think real life heroes support their heroines careers and make it so she has time to pursue those careers. Or when it feels like he just knows when I need a break and takes the kids. *le sigh*

    Great blog, Christi. You have a KEEPER!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks, Marquita...his many positives make me overlook the awful advice he gives when I'm trying to brainstorm plot ideas for my manuscripts. ; )

      Delete
  9. Christi,
    We are so excited to have you join us at Lady Scribes. Our readers are going to love you as much as we do!!!

    My real life hero makes me feel special in lots of little ways, and the big ones. For example, I fell asleep the other day and he went downstairs to get my extra soft blanket to cover me up. He makes me tea when I'm writing or massages my shoulders. And he always takes my side of any argument I have with someone else. Plus, he never complains when I text him to stop by the store to pick up something we need on the way home, and he doesn't complain if I don't want to cook dinner and we go out to eat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Samantha...you are so sweet. You know I'm a tremendous fan of all you amazing authors, so it is quite an honor to be blogging with you. Your DH sounds like a 46-year keeper like Connie's. The shoulder massage...how did I forget that in my hero list?!

      Delete
  10. OMG this is awesome. The final picture alone is just ... awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photo, Hanna! You should have seen the follow-up pic when I realized this was the image my DH had snapped. ;) Which I guess could be number 6 on the "Hero List"... Real heroes do NOT snap embarrassing photos of his lady-love.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations Christi!! You will be an awesome contributor to the Ladyscribes!
    I think a true hero knows instinctiively what his lady love needs. He just does for her, withour ever having to be asked.
    And he protects her form the evil zombies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Nancy...yes, true heroes DEFINITELY protect against evil zombies. And thank you, I'm excited to be a new Lady Scribe.

      Delete
  12. Welcome Christi,
    I look forward to reading your work as a historical regency writer, I love romance books and I am always looking out for new and exciting adventures to read about. I could sit for hours reading but my life stays so constantly busy that nighttime is my only downtime from 10pm til 12am. :) Don't think I didn't notice the Tarheel emblem on your cap, lol. I'm a NC native. Great to meet you here on the Ladyscribe blog. Bless you.
    Sincerely, April(A friend of Samantha's and Ladyscribe supporter.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, April. Good eyes on the hat; I just assumed everyone would be so distracted by that horrible picture to notice the emblem! ;)

      Delete
  13. Christ,

    I am so glad you joined us at LadyScribes. Love, understanding and support is my criteria for a real life hero and I was lucky enough to marry exactly that.

    ReplyDelete