I’ve found over the years I rarely keep all the resolutions I make. I doubt I’m alone if my gym parking lot is any indicator. On January 2―not the first since everyone is too hung over―the parking lot is crammed full by 8:00 a.m. with all the people who have resolved to work out in the New Year. It takes me a good twenty-five minutes to find a parking place, and I barely make it to my class on time.
By mid-January a third of those resolution makers have been beaten by the big bad Stairmaster, and it only takes me fifteen minutes to find a parking place in the morning. Come January 31 half those resolution makers have kissed the sweaty workout trail goodbye in favor of sleeping in and a Starbucks coffee on the way to work, and by Valentine’s forgetta about it! I can cruise in at 8:29 for spin class and grab a parking place because three fourths of the people who resolved to work out in the new year have bitten the resolution dust.
I’ve never resolved to work out in the New Year, which is probably why I actually do work out! It seems to me the things I do resolve to do become albatrosses around my neck which I eventually convince myself I can cut loose or kill myself trying to maintain what I said.
So this year instead of making resolutions I made a list of ten things I am absolutely, positively not going to do in the New Year.
- I am not going to give up coffee. Without it I’m like an infant screaming for their.
- I am not going to work out every day. If someone was paying me to be a model or act I would see the necessity, but as long as my jeans still fit, five days a week at the gym is good enough for me.
- I am not going to give up eating chocolate every day. I have tried before. I am a weak, pathetic human being who needs her two pieces of dark chocolate a day to be happy.
- I am not going to change my mind that Dave Grohl is the single, sexiest musician alive. I don’t care if he is skinny. I don’t care that he does not have a perfect face. I don’t care that he has tattoos, long hair and only wears blue jeans and t-shirts. Every song he sings makes him sexy.
- I am not going to say yes to every single thing people ask me to volunteer for. Yes, I want to help others, but I am only human. And over-volunteering hurts me and my family. I become cranky and not happy about the volunteering I am doing and that is NOT the spirit of volunteering.
- I am not going to worry if my house is not spotless. No one will stand at my graveside and remember I was an amazing housekeeper. They will remember I was an amazing writer though! So, I am going to take less time cleaning and more time writing to reach that goal!
- I am not going to work on holidays EVER again. Taking three weeks off this year has shown me just how refreshed and eager to work I feel when I force myself to turn off the computer and step away from the story.
- I am not going to ever say I won’t rewrite a book. Let’s face it, as writers we all want to see every book we ever wrote make it to the public, so if I have a book that needs a hefty rewrite it’s going to get it.
- I’m not going to forget the most important things in my life cannot be bought with money-health and love are free, my friends.
- I’m not going to sweat it if I do something I said I was not going to do!
What’s something you are NOT going to do in 2013?
Have a great day!
Julie Johnstone, The Marchioness of Mayhem