Our Pages

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

To the Stars!

If you know anything about me, you’ll know I’m a gamer girl and a huge Star Wars fan. It isn't the technology, the sci-fi gadgets, or even the storyline. What draws me to Star Wars then? Part of it is the love story.
Yes, I am a sappy, girly, sucker for a good love story. And there’s never been quite another love story quite like Han Solo's and Princess Leia’s. There is simply something so compelling about the way they fight and love each other. And of course, Harrison Ford was my very first crush.
As I’m sure you know that Lucas Arts has sold the Star Wars rights to Disney. I cried for two days. Yes, I’m sappy. I already told you that. While I love Disney and have no doubt that they will do a fabulous job, there’s a sense of ending the chapter for me.
It could be because I met the love of my life in the mmorpg (massive multi-player online role playing game) Star Wars Galaxies. Nine years ago. There we are with our geeky selves. This was my very first online multiplayer game. Playing an online game and getting the chance to interact with other people while you play was an incredibly new, amazing experience.
Being new to online gaming I had no clue what ganking was. And for those of you that don’t know, it’s when one or more players kill low level players over and over again just to be bullies. It goes on quite a bit actually. So I was being ganked. I’d been killed at least ten times already until I was ready to log off in tears, when out of the blue rescue showed up. It really irks me that my first meeting with my future hubby would be of him rescuing me. He was a little blue Rodian riding a speeder bike that was about to blow up from a lack of maintenance. And he rescued me. Me! And he now rubs it in every chance he gets. But I digress. There you have it. That’s my romantic how-we-met story. Sounds ridiculous if you ask me. But I wouldn't change a thing. It’s been an incredibly fun. And though we've had some low times, the best part of our relationship is that he “gets” me.
I formed some wonderful life-long friendships through SWG. People I've met in a game became my best friends. I have a wonderful sixty-nine year old gaming buddy named Longstreet, who’s played every single video game with me since then. He looks like the skipper, doesn't he? A crude, rough-around-the-edges, potty-mouth friend, but he has a huge heart to go with that sailor’s mouth.
In SWG we had epic player-versus-player battles consisting of hundreds of other online gamers (until of course the server couldn't handle the lag and shut down.) We laughed until we were blue in the face. There were group adventures, fashion shows, creative contests to judge who had the most well-decorated house, dance parties, and even events that happened outside of gaming (yearly gaming conventions like GameCon.) And we've met several of our gaming buddies in real life. It’s always fun to meet someone you usually only get to chat with online. The great thing about gaming is the programs like Ventrillo that allow you to have voice chats with multiple people. It truly brings a sense of intimacy to chatting that you don’t have with texting.
But if you ever meet anyone who’s played Star Wars Galaxies before they’ll tell you that they've never played another game quite like it. Why? Because of the people. We weren't just gaming buddies. We were a community. Family. Over the years I've lost contact with a few of them. I still keep up with some but we've all moved onto other places in our lives, other games. But even if we played another game together, I don’t think I’ll ever find that sense of camaraderie that I found on SWG. So yes, Star Wars is special to me in many more ways than just being my favorite movie. It’ll hold a special place in my heart until my last breath. These are memories I will always cherish because it isn't the movie that makes it special. It’s the people. We were brought together by a single common bond: A love of Lucas Art’s Star Wars.  
So I have to say Goodbye to Star Wars as I knew it. And I have to open my mind to perhaps something as good, or maybe even better. The next Star Wars movie Episode 7 is set to release in 2015. I’m looking forward to it. But until then I’ll leave you with a link to a funny youtube video of Star Wars Galaxies which was finally officially shut down on December 15th 2011.  It really shows the creativity that some players put into this game. And a few of my favorite quotes from The Empire Strikes Back.
"Why you stuck-up, half-witted, scruffy-looking nerf-herder!" Princess Leia
“Who’s scruffy-looking?” Han Solo
“Laugh it up, Fuzzball.” Han Solo
“Will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way?” Princess Leia
Is there a movie that has special, intimate memories for you? If so tell me why.  

18 comments:

  1. Aw, now that's a good first meet story!

    Dh and I share a love of many different movies--we love to debate movies. I'm hopeful that Disney will do Star Wars justice. I'm guessing it will all depend on the director..

    Oh, and I'm thoroughly in love with George Lucas after he donated the 4 billion he got for that sale to educational charities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! We giggle about our first meeting because it sounds ridiculous even to our own ears. But it's the truth. And I completely agree with you on being half in love with George Lucas. He's a good man and I really hated to see him sell the rights. But we'll see if Disney can hold a candle to his story-telling abilities. Time will tell. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Suzie,
    What a great love story! I bet your hubby couldn't believe his good luck. A gorgeous woman who likes to play video games??? You are a rare treasure.

    This blog means a lot to me, because my son is a gamer and my hubby worries that he's isolating too much. I've tried to explain that he has online friendships, which is different than how we grew up, but the relationships are real. Plus, he has friends in our community, but they also get online together. And since my son isn't old enough to drive, this allows him to interact with his friends still. Frankly, I'd rather have him home interacting at this age than roaming the mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Samantha, my cheeks are pink. Gorgeous is a long stretch of the imagination but thank you. I think the nice thing about the way we met is that we were friends for many years before he actually moved here. And there are many more gamer girls than you would imagine. One of best girl friends played World of Warcraft with me.

      I am very much an advocate for gaming because both hubby and I are gamers as well as my oldest two children. It's a family affair! And we're nothing like people's perception of gamers. My kids were pretty balanced, they had online relationships as well as those in the community. They balanced their time between skate boarding, football, and gaming. And I don't know of a single kid nowadays who doesn't play video games. Many of my online friends were my age or older. And the relationships are real but I will say this once my oldest got his driver's license his gaming activities lessened considerably which is to be expected, but he still plays. And think of it this way, we've all formed online relationships here in the writing community. Relationships that are strong and meaningful, and real. It's the same thing honestly. And to tell you the truth the relationships I've developed online have been much more meaningful to me than many of those I have formed in real life. That includes the writing community. I've met some wonderful people I wouldn't have otherwise met without the internet. And my best advice to any parent is to get involved! Play a game with your kids! You may find that you love it! I know I do.

      Delete
  3. I am a Zelda addict so I can more then relate to that. When I'm not reading I'm playing some kind of game be it Zelda or one of the hundreds of Facebook games lol. I think Disney might be the only company to be able to do the Star Wars films justice. Although it should be interesting to see what they come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Zelda! Now that is an addictive game! I remember when it first came out on the Nintendo! Loved that game! I spend many of my own teen years playing The Legend of Zelda!

      I think you're right, Misty, Disney will be the only company that might do it justice. We'll have to wait and see I guess. I cannot wait! It's my understanding that originally Episode 7 was supposed to be about the children of Han and Leia. But Disney has another idea for it. So we'll see what they come up with. Thanks for sharing and bringing back some grand memories of a fantastic game!

      Delete
  4. I am not all that into gaming...but I am in love with Star Wars, almost as much as I am with Disney. I love that you met your hubby through a game. :) Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine! It's a rather odd story but it worked out. My first love will always be Episode 4, 5 and 6. I think George Lucas was way ahead of his time. And he just got it right. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I have never played an online game in my life, but I did grow up with Star Wars, which makes it very special to me. The Return of the Jedi was the first movie I can remember seeing in the theater. You know, I haven't watched the orginals since I got my big fancy TV - I smell a movie night coming on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL well enjoy it! We watch it once every six months or so. We may be due for another round ourselves! I love Movie Night!

      Delete
  6. What a cute love story. Love it. I haven't done any gaming, but my brothers play D&D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Melody! It seems a little silly to me still and I still shake my head and wonder how did that happen. But it was definitely worth it.

    My hubby played D&D years ago before we even met. He speaks of it fondly but it's not anything I've ever tried before. I think what draws me to gaming is my kids. It's our family time and before my oldest son moved out, we made a weekly affair. It's fun. Kids make everything fun though. Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now there's a first meeting story you don't often hear! Lol. I'm a tech neeeerd. Though I've never been big into gaming, I love gadgets. They don't even need to be good gadgets! I'm actually jealous of my hubs promotion at work because department gave him a brand new phone and laptop. They're nothing more than tools for his trade to him, so it kills me! Where's mine?! I'm the tech freak! Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Andris! I can relate! Hubby is more the tech nerd than I am but I do love the gadgets! I want an ipad so bad I can't stand it. Soon! I swear I'll have one! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  9. That's an awesome first-meet love story, Suzie! My dad is big into Halo,and my mom will play against him and with him sometimes, but the rest of us aren't into it. :)

    I hope Disney does a lot of good stuff with Star Wars...fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg! Marquita!! I love that your parents play Halo! That is a huge game in our household. My kids and I love it. Especially the new one that just came out. Halo 4 rocks! That is truly awesome that your parents play! I love it! Thanks for sharing that with us!

      Delete
  10. GREAT GREAT BLOG! and fantastic question! The Last of the Mohicans has always transported me to a distant place in a way that no other movie can. Perhaps it is the amazing score or the intensity between Hawkeye and Cora? Or maybe even that Daniel Day-Lewis plays an amazing period hero...but that movie does something to me that nothing else does. Oh goodness, that scene when he's running to her and the Native America has his knife at her neck and Hawkeye cuts down a crew of men to get to her. "Fanning self"...sorry, I'm rambling. :) As you can see, I do have a movie that does that to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love that movie and there isn't another man in the world who could play Hawkeye like Daniel Day Lewis. Ever! He simply made that part come alive. And it's actually one of my favorite movies as well, Christi! I love it. He was super hot in that movie too lol. I'll have to pull that out now. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete