Our Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Monkeys, Frogs, and the Force, oh my!

by Suzie Grant aka Mistress Adventure 



What do all these things have in common? Why the super bowl of course. The top ten favorite Super Bowl ads of all time include the Budweiser frogs in 1995, the ETrade monkey commercial, and my all time favorite the Volkswagen commercial featuring Darth Vader and the force.
I love watching the Super Beyonce’ Bowl just for the commercials! And who needs lights anyway?? Did someone install the clapper? Or did Bootilicious flip the breaker?
Of course, getting the chance to hang out with my hubby and my three sons is my top priority. It's not like I don't get enough beer and football for the rest of the year. No, I did NOT just roll my eyes. Being the only girl in the house can definitely determine what's on TV. So sadly there is no Downtown Abbey in my house. You’d think I could wrestle the remote away from a five-year-old but well…you’d be wrong. We've rarely missed a Super Bowl.
Some of the commercials are brilliantly made and some…eh, not so much. This year was rather disappointing if you ask me. I've seen many that were much better. You would think that if you plan to drop a couple million dollars down on an ad slot for the Super Bowl you would at least make those two minutes count. Of them all Taco Bell’s old folks partying, the Budweiser’s Clydesdale commercial, and Dodge Ram’s the farmer were my favorites. I almost cried for the latter two but then I saw the eighty-year-old retired dude getting a tattoo...and all was fine. That was truly a classic Super Bowl ad.
I will say however, that whoever is in charge of marketing for Godaddy needs to be replaced. Ugh…There was nothing smart, nor sexy about that ad. The least they could have done was mute the darn thing. The power goes off for the game but they left the sound intact for the Godaddy ad?? What is wrong with people today?
I loved the game! It was exciting and emotional! And I was trying to determine which of the two coaches was more handsome. That’s important, too. I think Jim Harbaugh has a more handsome face. What do you think?
My son was cheering for San Francisco and I was cheering for the Ravens! It was a hollow win though because my son wanted it so much. So I didn't harp on him near as bad as I normally do. I always choose the opposite team because I like to irk him. Parenting at it's finest. ;P Unless of course my team gets a chance to go, but The Carolina Panthers have only gotten that chance once before. Maybe Cam Newton can take us back next year but I won’t hold my breath.
Want to watch this year’s batch of commercials just go here. So what is your all time favorite Super Bowl commercial and which was your favorite for this year?

Beer-Cheese Fondue with Baby Cauliflower dip

 Ingredients
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Jarlsberg cheese
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beer
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Assorted baby cauliflower

Preparation
Toss cheeses with flour. Bring beer to a boil in a large heavy saucepan; reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually whisk cheeses into beer, whisking constantly until melted. Stir in chives. Place cauliflower in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 5 to 7 minutes or until fork-tender. Serve with fondue.


8 comments:

  1. Suzie,
    The fondue recipe sounds great! I hate to admit I'm not a sports fan and I didn't watch the Superbowl. My husband doesn't watch sports either, so we're a perfect match. I did see the GoDaddy commercial because I heard about the complaints and I was curious. Ick!!! I agree, it wasn't sexy or smart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I wish my hubby hubby weren't a sports fan either but for the most part I love sports. But I believe everything in moderation. Unfortunately hubby doesn't seem to agree with me on that when it comes to sports and the military channel. Those are his two "things." The Taco Bell commercial was really super cute. But Godaddy needs a whole new marketing campaign after that. What a waste of two million bucks, right? Thanks for stopping in though!

      Delete
    2. I wish I could unsee that commercial.

      Delete
  2. Suzie ~ I loved, loved, loved the Clydesdale ad this year. It was great on every level! My son said it was like War Horse, but just a lot shorter. ;)

    I think you'll be hard pressed, by the way, to find anyone who did like the GoDaddy ad. Just the memory gives me the shivers (and not in a good way.) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did really love the Clydesdale ad this year. It was so touching. It truly was my favorite commercial of this year but I love a good laugh and the Taco Bell ad won on that front this year. It was hilarious.

      And I really have to agree about the Godaddy ad. If we do find someone who liked it, I really think we should tar and feather them. Seriously. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. I love Fondue recipes, Suzie. So thanks for sharing, we will have to try it. My least favorite commercial was that dumb go daddy one and my favorite was God Made Farmers, b/c it reminded me of where I grew up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, I hope you enjoy it! That's what my hubby said about the farm ad. He grew up in Idaho and so much of his life was centered around farming. It was truly a great ad. I think it resonated with a lot of people. Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete