Our Pages

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Okiedokian

By Andris Bear, Countess of Sass

I'd like to talk about one of my favorite things. Most people don't know them by name, but have certainly come across one or a thousand.

Those of you who follow me on Twitter and Facebook know I have a serious, committed love affair with facts. I start every morning hunting down funny, shocking or informative tidbits to share with my peeps. But they're not my first love. Shhhh, don't tell them.

Uh, they get a bit territorial.

 I adore witty or thought provoking quotes (mostly witty. With this mouth, there's not much room for thinking). Which brings me to my topic--paraprosdokian sentences. What the ever-loving mercy is that, you ask?

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the second half of the sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part.

Nothing like a technical explanation to completely baffle me.


How about some of my faves?

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." ~ Isaac Asimov.

"If all the girls who attended Yale prom were laid end to end, I wouldn't be surprised." -- Dorothy Parker.

 "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." -- Groucho Marx


"She looks as though she's been poured into her clothes and forgot to say 'when'." -- P.G. Wodehouse. 



"The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list."


"I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong."



"You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice."



"You're never too old to learn something stupid."



These little ditties bring me much joy.  It's to the point that if I can't get to my computer to scrounge up my fun facts in the morning, I turn into a real daisy. 
*pokes in reader in the side* Get it? Paraprosdokian? Not what you'd expect?


Yeah. We get it. Genius.

 So tell me, Scribettes, what lightens your day? What little thing brings you big joy?

26 comments:

  1. Well, reading your fun facts always brightens my day. I hate when I'm so busy that I miss them. ;)

    But little thing brings my big joy...? I'd say spending time with my son. He's in those teenage years where so much time and energy is wrapped up in angst. He's growing into his own man, with his own ideas. And while we don't agree on a number of things, at night, we usually curl up on the couch and watch something together. (Something he's picked, of course.) And just doing something as simple as spending that last part of my day with him brings me joy, just being in the same room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that's a great thing to look forward to. I need to start doing that with my mini villains. Unfortunately, there's only one me and three of them. Put them in the same room? Atomic bomb! Lol. Maybe if I tape their mouths shut? Yeah, I like that. ;}
      And I'm so tickled you like my fun facts. I get overly excited over finding a new fact each morning...probably means I need therapy of some kind. Ha!

      Delete
  2. Andris,
    Your fun facts ARE fun! :)

    The little things that bring me joy vary. This morning it was waking up to "Don't You Evah Be Down" by Spoon on the iPod. It's an upbeat song that puts me in a good mood instantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samantha! Fun facts tickle me to no end so I'm glad you like them too!
      Music can definitely affect your mood.
      My husband LOVES music, swears it is the best motivation around and will listen to it at every chance. I think I'm the only person music depresses. I know, I know. I'm weird. Unless it's a rump-shaking, upbeat tune, it bums me. Ack! Thank goodness most peeps are like you and enjoy it or we'd all be zombies! :)

      Delete
  3. Three things come instantly to mind. Music. If I'm down, tired, need inspiration, you name it, I will turn on the music. My current inspiration is from Mumford and Sons. Love these guys. Family night with my husband and kids also brings me great joy. We set Friday night aside to spend together without exception. My kids look forward to it as much as I do and that's makes me know at least I've done one thing right. Last is listening to my husband read me poetry in bed. We are old school. There's not much better than falling asleep with the man you love reading you Lake Isle of Innisfree by Yeats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great things to find joy in, Julie! We've tried doing a family night in the past, but my hubs schedule makes it hard to stick with that plan (police officer, rotating shifts). :( I love that your husband reads you poetry in bed (collective sigh!). We wrestle for the remote in our bed. LOL!

      Delete
  4. This morning's fun fact about a dude named Charles marrying a goat was hilarious, especially since I first thought it was about Prince Charles marrying Camilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOMMMGGG! Best thing ever! EVER! Bahahahahaha!

      Delete
  5. I love when my husband rubs my neck. He's better than most massage therapists (unfortunately for him)...oh, and Chinese food. No matter how bad my day is, if you give me an order of Pork Fried Dumplings, all is right with the world! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh girl, my hubs gives great back rubs too! Unfortunately, the stingy snot won't put out with them without bribes or begging. Lol.

      Delete
  6. I'm more than just a little bit addicted to reading your fun facts. :)

    Little things that bring me joy? Purring cats, automatic cat feeders (so I don't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to feed the purring babies), a good piece of dark chocolate... It doesn't take much for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine Gayle! You are my first addict! I'm so pleased. Lol. And oh how I would love a piece of dark chocolate right about now. I've rebooted my health efforts and can have NO sugar except for some fruit in the morning with breakfast. Kill. Me. Now.

      Delete
  7. Things that bring me joy.....hmmm..Organizing the closet. Cleaning the carpets. And my favorite, a spice rack that is alphabetized! Just ask Mrs. Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An alphabetized spice rack? Marquita never told me you're anal retentive. LOL. That's just a bit much for me. I like mine organized by frequency of use.

      Delete
    2. Alphabetizing the spice rack. I personally like them organized if are better for savory or sweet.

      Delete
  8. Oh my word. I can't say I saw that one coming, Hot Builder. You must be a romantic at heart. ;}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I forgot what really brings me joy is showering my wife with compliments and presents! ;)

      Delete
    2. In that case, come have a talk with Big Daddy Bear. ;}

      Delete
  9. Healthy kids would make me happy at the moment! :-)

    I look forward to your fun facts everyday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet, Deb! Everyone's babes are sick lately. Sending healing thoughts your way! :)

      Delete
    2. I hope your kiddos get better soon!

      Delete
  10. My kitty brings me smiles, happiness and laughs every day. We are adopting a little brother kitty tomorrow. Cannot wait to bring him home. Happiness times two is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,
      I'm a cat person too but somehow ended up with a dog. ? My girls beg me for a kitty pretty much every day. We travel a lot so that's not a good plan for us. Congrats on your kitty-kitty!

      Delete
  11. Your fun facts are the best. Especially the ones where I can go off on a tangent. Like the dolphin fact. I also love a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melody May! And I love that you consistently reply to my fun facts. All my other peeps just sponge up my brilliance and never praise me! Ahem. I mean, I'm so glad you enjoy them. Baha! Oh yes, there's nothing better than a good book, especially the kind that keeps you in its world long after you've finished its pages. Le sigh.

      Delete