Our Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Stop Spoiling My Favorite Shows Already!


By Samantha Grace

I rarely rant in a public forum, but after three years of minding my manners at Lady Scribes, I think I’m overdue. (Happy birthday, Lady Scribes – give or take a day or two.) 

I’ll warn you right now, this post may contain spoilers for some of your favorite TV shows past and present. So, if you’re watching an old show on Netflix or you haven’t fired up the DVR, beware.

Listen up, TV screenwriters, because I’m talking to you. 
Yeah, I mean you, you emotional sock-puppeteers!
I'm really tired of television screenwriters ruining my favorite shows. I love great characters with a conflict to overcome, but in the end, I want to see them triumph.

So, please STOP...

1. Killing off main characters. (That is so wrong.)

DOWNTON ABBEY - What were the writers thinking? First they lulled us into believing nothing bad could happen to a main character with Matthew’s safe return from the war, followed by his miraculous recovery from paralysis. Then they reinforced this belief when Cora survived the Spanish flu. Granted, William lost his life, but he was more of a secondary character. I shed a few tears, but I didn’t sob like a baby. And then WHAM!!! Sweet, adorable Sybil? That lovely girl with a brand new baby?

We shall never forgive or forget!

SIX FEET UNDER – I loved that show and watched it from the very start. Yes, it was about death. I got that, but when Nate died so did a part of me. I was depressed for days after that episode aired. Do these harbingers of doom enjoy making fans rock in a corner, devouring a box of GS Thin Mints and washing them down with their salty tears? Do they think about kissing their mommas with those evil brains? Uh…er…that made more sense before I typed it.

FIREFLY – Okay. Technically, the season ended without any major casualties. My only complaint is it ended too soon. One season wasn’t enough, so I was ecstatic to learn the full cast had starred in a movie to wrap-up the loose ends. Serenity answered the questions about River and the reason the “two-by-two hands of blue” men were after her. However, the writers couldn’t give fans a happy end. Oh, no. That’s a job for silly romance writers. Creating angst is a higher art form, don’t ya know? So they killed off the shepherd man and Walsh. For no good reason! (I’m still bitter about that one.)


2. Turning main characters into despicable people. (Or making the despicable even more despicable.)

THE SOPRANOS – I understand Tony Soprano was a mob boss, and he did horrible things. He was scary, but also funny and charming at times. I had a love-hate relationship with Tony. Then he turned into this character I could only hate. At one time, family meant something to him. It gave him a touch of humanity, but then he ended up killing his nephew, the one he had protected throughout the whole series. I totally get Tony Soprano was a psychopath, but don’t create sympathy and make fans care about what happens to him just to yank the rug out from under us. Oh, and the ending stunk. Just saying.


DEXTER – The final season hasn’t aired yet, but the writers have already ruined it for me. They managed to drag down the only character able to maintain some form of integrity throughout the entire show. There is no way Deb can ever recover from last season and make it believable to me. Plus, what are they doing to Dexter? I listened to commentary from the screenwriters after the final episode of last season, and I was not pleased. They were saying they had to show Dexter as the killer he is or else he’s just a superhero. Um, yeah. That’s what made the show unique. If he’s just a killer, why should I care about him any longer? If I wanted reality, I wouldn’t be watching TV.    
   

3. Leaving the audience hanging.

HUFF – Apparently, shows can’t count on being picked up for another season, so I hate it when writers leave things hanging at the end of a season. We were right in the middle of a story when Huff was cancelled, and there was a lot going on. Now I’ll never know what madness and mayhem Russell was going to get into next.


4. Using hallucinogens mid-series.

LOST – Need I say more? 

So, there! I’ve said it. I could claim I feel better now, but that won’t bring Sybil back now, will it?

Have you ever become disappointed with a show you used to love? 


28 comments:

  1. Oh Sam, part of the reason I don't watch Dontown Abbey is cause they kill off people I like. I would just get mad, so I won't be watching anytime soon. Even when a show I like starts to do stuff I don't like I wuit watching it. I use to love Grey's Anatomy, but i just got tired of the back and forth between Meridith and McDreamy. Then they had to kill off Mark. Oh hell no.This is why I like a nice book. If it's not turning out the way I like it, I can always cheat and check the end. THen I cna finish the book. I know I"m horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody,
      I completely understand! At least with a romance, you know you're going to get a happy ending. I wasn't sure with Outlander, and I was a nervous-wreck until I asked my friend to just tell me the ending was going to be okay. I didn't want details, but I had to know if I was going to get the HEA.

      I stopped watching Grey's Anatomy when I couldn't take Meredith's whining any more. She was the most passive, victimized character on TV at the time and she turned me off to the whole show. But I'm glad I stopped watching before they killed off Mark!!! Now I'm mad about that and I haven't watched in years. LOL

      Delete
    2. Lol. No I just happen to turn on it, because I hadn't watched in a while. Of course it would be the episode Mark is in a coma and dies.

      Delete
  2. Yes I have. I have not watched Downton Abbey for the last few weeks because it appeared they were going to have something about breast cancer. As a survivor, I don't think that needs to be used in every damn show on TV. It's overdone and I wish they had left it out. My husband has become bored with the show because nothing really seems to change. We will not watch it anymore.

    I also love Dexter and wish they had not let Deb find out about him. It simply was not necessary.

    I thought Deadwood was one of the best series I've ever watched. Raunchy? You bet, but oh so good. But, they dropped the show after a few seasons and left the viewers hanging. Bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,
      I'm with you. I look to TV as a nice escape, and when they toss in tough everyday stuff like breast cancer, it's hard to escape.

      Honestly, I hated what they did last season on Dexter. It made me cry several times, so if they were going for making viewers soggy messes, they succeeded. And then when they turned that fabulous bad guy, Viktor, into a sensitive character, I thought "What the heck???"

      Delete
  3. "How I Met Your Mother" is my biggest gripe. Ted has been trying to find his wife for 9 years. Really? Argh. The show keeps going and going, and it is getting to the point where all of the conflicts are nearly resolved, and I'm really starting to wonder about the premise of the show. So yeah, I'm kind of done with TV in general, and will stick to books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SOOO with you on this! It used to be such a great show, and now it is just a farce of itself. Bleck.
      They need to evolve and change it they are to stay relevant. Although, for me it is already too late, but maybe some other fans will feel better.

      Delete
    2. I've never watched this show, but I can totally see how frustrating that would be. Definitely, things have to evolve or it loses its edge.

      Delete
  4. Grey's Anatomy has a bad habit of killing off good characters. When they crashed the plane, and we knew at least one character was going to die, I really hoped it would be Meredith and/or Derek. But no, it was Lexi and Mark, two of the most interesting characters on the show. Ugh!

    I can't blame the screenwriters of Game of Thrones for killing everyone off...that lies with the author of the books. He's a master of killing off characters you are sure he can't possibly kill, and yet keeping your interest through other characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing about Game of Thrones is all the characters are interesting and there are so many. I was really, really sad when the bearded horseman died. I totally can't remember his name. See how torn up I am? LOL. The one married to Calisi. But I wouldn't be happy if some of the other characters died.

      Delete
    2. Khal Drogo! How can you not remember Khal Drogo, Samantha? I was crushed when he died. CRUSHED! And don't get me started on Too-noble-for-his-own-good-Ned. :)

      But that's part of the show. It is dark. You should go in expecting people to die. I remember after Ned died, someone tweeted something along the lines of "For those of you crying over Ned dying on GOT, you can't handle GOT." That made me laugh. Really hard.

      Delete
    3. I knew you'd jump all over the Khal Drogo. :-)

      Delete
  5. Ugh! I know, right!! Stop killing off my favorite characters! Btw it shows how much of a tomboy I am since my show choice is The Walking Dead while you all are talking about "normal" shows lol. The Walking Dead for me will never be the same without Lori. It was the only "real" love story on the show and I loved the characters so much as they struggled to deal with this new reality and still find their way back to each other. I actually hate the zombie part of the show but my kids made me watch it that first time and I fell in love with the characters. Rick and Lori were my favorite. And now that Lori is gone...it's just not the same and I am considering not watching it anymore, except that I can't seem to stay away from. Every Sunday I still find myself in front of the TV despite saying that I won't. And I hate that I am now so addicted. I tell my kids I am kicking their butts for doing this to me someday. They just laugh at me. :/ Stinkers. But it gives me something to do with my teen boys and that's probably the best added bonus to watching the show. It's the one that really counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie,
      I LOVE The Walking Dead!!! It's my show of choice at the moment, and I chose it over Downton Abbey last night. I have the other show on my DVR and I'll watch it later. I bawled when Lori died because it was so heartbreaking what Carl had to do. Plus, the sacrifice she made for her baby. Well, it was beautiful. I didn't include it in the list, though, because that show is set up for main characters to die. So many have been lost.

      Believe me, I could go on and on about TWD. As soon as I met my deadline and finish reading the last 2 Rita entries I have, I'm going to start reading the graphic novels my son has. :)

      Delete
  6. LOL, Samantha! I think of shows I was ever "in" to only Lost ever, you know, lost me. I didn't even finish the last 4 or 5 episodes.

    I loved Six Feet Under and though it was sad when Nate died, I thought they handled it really well. As for Downton Abbey - I was only 1/2 of the way through the second season. Sybiil was my most favorite character though. So now that I know she's dead, I probably won't watch any more. :(

    Is it bad that I love killing off characters of my own? (Jerrica will never forgive me for one particular death, but it HAD to happen.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? You're behind on Downton Abbey? Sorry. I didn't mean to ruin it for you. It's still worth watching, I think. Besides, if you can handle GOT, you can handle Downton. ;)

      The way they killed off Nate fit the show, but it still sent me into a mini-depression. I couldn't believe they did that! I had a fitful sleep that night.

      Sometimes characters have to go, but that one from your book shocked me too.

      Delete
  7. Oh so many shows have disappointed me! You've hit the nail on the head with Lost...that show I loved and then ended up scratching my head in confusion. Falling Skies is another. What a brilliant premise...but EVERY week, I'm like really?! Why am I still watching. 30 Rock jumped the shark. Community which I LOVED...began to do spoofs every week. I mean, come on? You can't come up with even one original storyline that you have to use a movie for your inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Community and some of the spoofs were funny, but some really missed the mark. I thought the Law & Order spoof was funny. And my all time favorite episode was when they were playing Dungeons & Dragons. LOL

      I never saw Falling Skies, but now I won't bother if I see it on Netflix.

      Delete
  8. I think that a lot of us were confused by the ending of "Lost". I literally had not clue what I had spent 6 years of my life watching. Trust me, I'll never do that again.

    Now, a couple of shows that I loved, and miss dearly are "Desperate Housewives", and "October Road". At least I had a chance to prepare myself of the ending of "DH", but not for "OR". Shame on the network for pulling the plug on these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw the last season of Desperate Housewives, but my mother-in-law told me about it, so I don't think I'll watch it. And I didn't see the last two seasons of Lost. It just got too out there for me, and it stopped being about relationships, IMO. That's the kiss of death for any show for me. I felt the same way about True Blood last season. Where was the romance??? I'm hoping they bring it back for the next season. Otherwise, I'm done.

      Delete
  9. Can we talk about Buffy/Angel? I mean, I've had some distance and I feel like I can say it now: WTF with some of those character arcs?

    Actually, my main gripe is with Angel (the series) it pulled a cliffhanger and it was RANDOM. Cordelia giving birth to a demon baby who was a full grown woman and dying? WHAT? Wesley banishing Angel's baby to another dimension and becoming scary (if not slightly sexier) crazy dom Wesley? Spike being incorporial!? And let's not even talk about Fred. Or Fred and Gun. Honestly. Establishing a strong relationship between them (which CHEERS a IR romance on mainstream TV that wasn't all fraught and angsty) then having them break up and be all like MEH WHATEVER.

    Lazy. Writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds messed up!!! LOL. I never watched Buffy or Angel, but I've considered going back on Netflix and watching. Everyone raved about it, but I had a baby at the time when it started and I was like a zombie for a couple of years. I missed the start of a lot of shows.

      I hope someone else was into it so they can commiserate.

      Delete
    2. Samantha, I loved Buffy. With some distance, I give it the stank eye and accuse it of manipulating me emotionally, but I did love watching it. Angel...*growls* that show ruined some characters I loved.

      Delete
  10. Ack, this blog is the biggest spoiler ever! LOL.

    Wash. I'm still mourning Wash.

    And I'm getting so mad at Downton, but I can't stop watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did put a warning at the top, but maybe I should have made it bigger. :-)

      His name was Wash? Dang! All this time I thought it was Walsh. LOL. He was one of my favorites.

      I didn't watch last night's episode of Downton yet. I hope I don't get madder.

      Delete
  11. Samantha, I hate when television series (and book series for that matter) Jump the Shark. Makes me all Hulk Smash kinds of mad. BLERG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up what "jump the shark" meant. Did you know the phrase comes from the Happy Days episode where Fonzie jumped a shark on waterskis? Foznie was on waterskis. Not the shark. ;D

      Delete