Our Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

It's Idol Time Again

I’ve blogged about American Idol before and it’s that time of year again.  This season I didn’t watch any of the audition shows as they traveled from city to city and didn’t start recording until they got to “Hollywood Week”.  Those earlier shows no longer hold my interest like they used to and frankly, I don’t have time.  This year there are also new judges, though Randy Jackson is still at the table.  I don’t think the show would be the same without Randy, but he is now joined by Keith Urban, Nicki Minaj and Mariah Carey.
              
The top ten were finally chosen and at the writing of this blog, they are down to 8 performers. Last week was my favorite so far because the contestants performed Beatles songs.  When I heard this I was torn between being excited, and afraid someone would screw up some of the greatest songs ever written. At the end of the night I had two favorites: Candice and Angie.  This isn’t a surprise (to me at least) because they have always been in my top favorites. My third favorite of the night was a surprise – Devin.  He hasn’t been at the top of my list before.  However, his performance of The Long and Winding Road tapped into something.  He made me feel what I want a current hero to feel (of course it could simply be that the lyrics are amazing).  Now, if I could only express those emotions in the writing. I may have to download the iTune so I can listen when I need to write those scenes.

I don’t watch any show live because I can never manage my time that well so anything I don’t want to miss is recorded.  I already had six shows waiting before I started playing catch up, which I managed to do this weekend.  But truthfully, I am not into Idol as much this year. I don’t know if it is because it isn’t as interesting, there isn’t that “wow” contestant I can’t get enough of, or I simply have other interests that have become more important.  Yet, I will still watch the full season and the real reason: Keith Urban.  Enough said J.

Idol isn’t the only reality show I enjoy.  Not long ago I watched the last episode of Next Great Baker.  I am always amazed at the cakes. I am lucky if I can manage to frost a cupcake and I certainly wouldn’t dream of taking on any of those challenges.  I also watched the last episode of Top Chef, having been glued to both shows for their entire run.  I was disappointed in that my favorite didn’t win. I really liked Brooke but the drawback of watching a cooking show on TV is you don’t get to actually taste what the contestants made.  

I am also currently watching Face Off.  This is of particular interest to me because I do enjoy learning various aspect of makeup since when I am not writing I am at the theatre doing hair and makeup. I just finished working on Wizard of Oz and in design mode for The Little Mermaid

Then there is also Project Runway and I love how they have made everything about teams this season.  Tim Gunn will always be my favorite on that show and the inspiration behind a favorite secondary character of mine.  

There are other reality shows that I watch through the year, and may currently be watching but I can’t think of them right now.  However, I don’t watch The Bachelor, The Amazing Race, or Survivor.  I was just never able to get into those shows and I realize I am in the minority because they are watched by thousands. 

Do you have a favorite Reality television show?  Which one and why do you like it so much?

16 comments:

  1. Hi Jane! I love Project Runway. I think the All Stars season spoiled me, though, because the design level was so advanced and I'm not enjoying what the teams are putting out there this season.

    I used to watch Top Chef steadily, but I've missed the last couple of seasons.

    No Bachelor, Housewives or shows like that, I prefer watching the ones where we see creative people at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb,

      I think the reason I am drawn to the shows I am is because of the creativity and talent and wanting to root for those fighting for their dreams.

      Delete
  2. Jane ~ I've seen American Idol before in the past (though never my favorite show...You know - MUSIC) LOL.

    I also used to be avid Survivor and The Amazing Race. But I haven't seen either of those in a few years either.

    I loved Survivor because of the social aspect of the game... Seeing how people interact with each other when money and loyalty are on the line.

    I love The Amazing Race because I love to travel and seeing the world in so short a time appeals in a lot of ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava,

      I've tried to watch Survivor and The Amazing Race, but I just couldn't get into them. I don't know why.

      Delete
  3. I haven't watched American Idol since the third season, I think. The format got old after a while. The same with Dancing with the Stars. It doesn't take an hour to say who's getting kicked off. I hate the way they want you to commit to two nights a week. Hey, it takes 5 minutes to give the voting results. Don't drag it out for an hour! LOL

    I love Project Runway and The Bachelor/Bachelorette. This season of The Bachelor just ended and it was really good. There are relationships that don't work out, but that's true off camera too. What I like best about the show is they often bring favorites on to be the next bachelor or bachelorette. The current bachelor was dumped in the last bachelorette show, but fans loved him so much they let him be the bachelor. It's kind of like a romance novel series with recurring characters. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha,

      Love it. There always tends to be that secondary character who must have his own book (or love) in the end :). I fast forward through a lot of the second night and if I am not fast forwarding it is because I am doing something else and half listening to find out who goes home.

      Delete
  4. I watched the first season of Idol but after that, I lost interest. As a family we are into really nerdy reality shows like "Dirty Jobs" and "Man vs. Wild." My husband loves those kind of shows, and my 6 year old daughter has a crush on Mike Rowe, so that dictates our choice of TV viewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily,

      I have not seen Dirty Jobs or Man vs Wild. I've seen previews but haven't had a chance to watch yet. I think I will add it to my list of shows to check out.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Lily! I cannot watch Man vs. Wild. Completely turns my stomach. I'm kinda squeemish. ;)

      Delete
  5. I also fell of the Idol train awhile ago. I think after they transitioned judges, perhaps? I did like when they introduced contestants who could use instruments. But by far, the shows I shall never grow weary of are America's Next Top Model and Project Runway. Those are my guilty pleasures...and I can watch them on re-runs over and over to my poor husband's chagrin. : ) With ANTM, I love the artistic beauty of the photos and then the same with Project Runway. Although since I lost my DVR, I've lost the capability to watch whenever I want and with mommying, working, and writing, fitting in ANTM and PW is rather impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christi,

      I would be lost without my DVR because I can only watch television at the strangest times. I used to watch America's Next Top Model but got away from that one for some reason. I used to watch it with my daughters, which was always. Remember when they did the romance cover shoot with Fabio?

      Delete
  6. My favorite show is Dancing with the Stars. (I want to learn how to dance like that)! My other favorite is Duck Dynasty, although that's not a competition.

    Other than those two, the rest of reality tv is pretty much catch it when I can. I'm really bad at remembering when things come on and we don't have a DVR. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marquita,

      I would love to learn to ballroom dance. I did learn to waltz once but there are so many other dances. If only I could convince my hubby to take lessons . . .

      Delete
  7. I think everyone knows I'm a Reality TV junkie. LOL.

    I used to be addicted to Idol, but I found that without Simon Cowell, I'm just not interested. At all. So I haven't watched a lick of it this year, and don't know or care who the judges are.

    I love Project Runway too, but the All Stars version, while the designers are more competitive, the show loses some of my interest with no Tim Gunn. And I'm not sold on this season's team concept. I would prefer to just stick with the regular format, with Tim, and leave it alone. Oh well, they didn't ask me.

    I watch Dancing with the Stars most season, but not all. I often watch Top Chef, though I somehow completely missed that there was a recent season. Augh!

    But the two reality shows that I watch no matter what are Big Brother and Survivor. I love the scheming, the backstabbing, the drama. I love it. Can't get enough of it. That said, there was one episode of Survivor this season that absolutely made me want to rethink watching the show. In fact, I think I might be blogging about it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,

      I have to admit, the show isn't the same without Simon Cowell. I believe last week that Jimmy was commenting that the judges need to critique better and not just say what they liked.

      And, I so agree that Project Runway is not the same without Tim Gunn. One of the things on my bucket list is to go shopping with Tim Gunn. That way I know the things I choose will be perfect, though I know it will never happen *sigh*.

      I'll let you know next time Top Chef starts up so you don't miss it again ;).

      Delete
  8. I'm surprised Samantha didn't tag me on this one lol. I watch the Bachelor/ette/Pad.........Big brother....Dancing With the Stars ...Hells Kitchen....Idol and the Voice lol. Hoarders and Pawn Stars if those counts as reality and sometime Storage Wars. I'm a reality junkie.....I like shows like these because they are mindless entertainment. I don't need to think when I watch them. Big Brother is my favorite of them all, I just love the dynamics of the house.

    ReplyDelete