Our Pages

Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Journey Begins!



It’s no secret I’m a Viking lover. I’m absolutely dying to get back to my Maidens of the Shield series, which is next on my list btw. So when I saw the trailer for the new History Channel show called Vikings, you can imagine how excited I was. You can find the website here.
Besides, who can deny that this face is just gorgeous. Travis Fimmel plays Ragnar in the series and I am salivating. Love this man. He is an Australian actor and former model best known for his Calvin Klein campaign.  
What fascinated me the most about this show last Sunday was how historically accurate it was. Although, I shouldn't have doubted it since it is hosted by the History channel. However, we all know most movies or shows are “Hollywoodized” for the masses. Don’t get me wrong I love the entertainment value more than the accuracy but it was interesting to find one that had both qualities.  
While I loved the story-telling in Braveheart one of the things that kept me from becoming too engrossed was the fact that I knew Wallace was really a landowner and not a poor man. Another annoying fact was the Scots no longer painted their faces. That was an act of the Picts. And my personal pet peeve was that Princess Isabelle was a mere four-years-old during Wallace’s lifetime.
Some of the movies that historians complain about are Gladiator, Pearl Harbor, 300, (which let me be clear is my all-time favorite movie) The Last Samurai, and Robin Hood. I’m sure there are many, many more. But that’s what made this series so shockingly surprising. For once, it was accurate! The only inaccuracy that I've noticed so far is that the Vikings attend the Althing which was the first parliament ever created in history. But in Iceland and not Scandinavia as he show suggests. However, everything else I have fact checked and found right! I’m amazed. Shocked. Delighted! You can imagine this is like a sugar rush for a history lover like me. I'm giddy like a little girl with her first crush.  
For instance, Vikings were known seafarers and their ships were truly their way of life. The show accurately depicts how the ships were built. Viking ship builders were very revered. They only used oak trees because Yggdrasil, the tree of life in Viking mythology was made of Oak and held up all nine worlds.
Another interesting fact they got right was about shield maidens. They were women warriors in Scandinavian folklore and are mentioned throughout the Sagas. Valkyrie’s were based off of shield maidens in mythology.
Another thing they touched on and got right was the fact that women’s rights came way earlier than we first imagined. Namely during the Viking age. Women were allowed to own property and divorce. They were held in high regard and any man who abused a woman was immediately punished and scorned. I’ll get more into Viking women, their rights, marriage and divorce in my next blog post.
But for now I’ll leave you with the official trailer for Vikings. And hope you join me in learning about a very fascinating culture and people. What other shows or movies do you know that are accurate or inaccurate? And how do you feel about inaccuracies in multimedia?  






23 comments:

  1. I tried to tape this, but my dvr went wonky. I'm going to try again, now that you've given it the gold star! Glad to see something accurately done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's great! I can't wait for the next episode! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. The Scientist raved about this when he got home from his business trip last night. I completely missed it. I'm not sure where I've been, but apparently it's not the 21st century. :)

    I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL the Scientist has great taste! And LOL, when are you ever in the 21st century?? =P Maybe that's an opportunity for a good date night at home with the Scientist. I love when hubby and I can agree on a show because it doesn't happen very often lol. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I saw the advertisement, but forgot it was showing on Sunday. I'll have to see if it's on Demand or if they have a repeat scheduled. I'd like to watch it, but I'll have to record it until The Walking Dead is over. ;)

    I enjoyed the first two seasons of The Tudors, but I had to give it up by the third. Honestly, it was too cruel for me to watch. I'm not a wimp when it comes to blood and guts, but the betrayal and absolute cruelty was too much. Anyway, I know there were historical inaccuracies with that show, but that didn't bother me. I suspend disbelief because I know it's mean to be fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Samantha! I had to skip The Talking Dead last week, the show that comes on after The Walking Dead, because of this show but, it was so worth it. That is so awesome that you watch The Walking Dead!

      And you're obviously not a wimp when it comes to blood and guts if you watch TWD, lol. I wanted to watch the Tudors but I have to wait until I can get NetFlix again to catch up. It normally doesn't bother me either when a film has historical inaccuracies unless there are too many. It's easy not to notice one or two though.

      I hope you can find a repeat and catch up! It was really good!

      Delete
  4. I hadn't heard of this! I'll have to look for it. :)

    Historical inaccuracies can drive me bonkers, so I do my best to shut down my annoyance when I'm watching historical films made by Hollywood. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL somehow I knew you would say that! Some of the more blatant inaccuracies drive me crazy as well. It's really hard to overlook some of them.

      I think you'll enjoy this one. So far there isn't any inaccuracies that I can see but we've only had one episode so far. So I'm crossing my fingers that it continues that way. So glad you stopped by and I hope you enjoy the show!

      Delete
  5. Looks like an awesome show, Suzie! I am also pretty OCD about hsitorical inaccuracies, but this looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was brilliantly done. At least the first episode was great! We'll see how the series continues. I'm certain Vikings aren't everyone's cup of tea but I thought they did an excellent job! Thanks for dropping in, Lily!

      Delete
  6. Wow - that looked surprisingly good! I don't usually like dark, gritty shows, but this one looks very rich. And yay for a past culture that understood the power of a woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best thing about this show is that it shows Vikings as they truly were, family men, and not the horrifying version that history has claimed they were. You really get a sense of their real culture from this show, so I really enjoyed it. And they were the last culture that gave women many rights until recent times, sadly. Somehow the dark ages wiped away much of the history we had of Viking early life and all we really have to go by are the Saga's which were written after the introduction of Christianity.

      It is pretty dark and gritty. But I love that kind of stuff lol. So I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  7. That is one delicious looking Viking!
    As for inaccuracies I find that most legal shows are terribly inaccurate. Court cases normally take many months, sometimes years to come to trial. On Law and Order, its a matter of weeks. And the lawyers do not interact with the judge and police as they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he though? Yummy I definitely have a new obsession.

      I have to agree about the legal shows. I'm not an expert in those fields but I hear so much about how inaccurate they really are. I tend to stick to all things history but I have been known to watch NCIS. I love Gibbs, what can I say lol.

      Thanks for stopping in and sharing, Nancy!

      Delete
    2. Nancy,
      I totally get what you mean. Medical shows drive me nuts because they are so inaccurate. The most ridiculous one I saw was Nurse Jackie. Apparently there is just ONE pharmacist in the whole hospital. In NYC!!! And he can give out narcs like they are candy. Then when the hospital is getting a Pixis (which is like a medication vending machine), he loses his job. What the heck??? Hello! They aren't magic machines. Someone has to fill them with the correct medication and dosage. So incredibly dumb!

      Then Nurse Jackie signs this guy's donor card because she thinks he should be a donor, and they harvest his organs. That would NEVER happen like that!!! A family member still has to give permission. I mean, if you're going to write a show, at least do some basic research!

      And don't even get me started on Grey's Anatomy! The entire hospital is staffed by doctors, but I guarantee real doctors don't do discharge planning or half the hands-on stuff they do on that show. That falls to the nurses, CNAs, and social workers.

      Delete
  8. So glad you brought up this show! DH and I watched the premier, prepared to do a major amount of scoffing and giggling, and ended up liking it! The hot Tom Hardy/Charlie Hunnam lovechild lead helped a bit, too ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Hanna, yes he did. It's a fascinating culture and they really, really did a wonderful job at bringing the true culture of Vikings to life. I'm glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait for the next episode! Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  9. Apparently I'm totally clueless as I haven't seen a thing about this show. That said, I can't get past that picture. I'm rarely into a blond, but dang! He's pretty. I might have to start tuning in...;}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL he is really so pretty. You should see his half naked Calvin Klein pics, those were a bit too risque for the blog unfortunately. You'll have to hunt those down to see them. They're positively delicious!

      Delete
  10. Man, this really makes me wish I had cable or satellite. I'll have to look the show up online to see if I can watch it there. :) Kudos for getting it right, History Channel! :)

    Thanks for sharing this, Suzie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Marquita, I rarely watch TV honestly. I mean barely an hour or two a day but I still have no clue how you manage to have no cable or satellite?? It would still kill me! Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  11. First, I LOVED your Viking story! I'm so fascinated by the time period and always feel like not enough is done with it in the romance industry. (Can I say that?!) Okay, shows that are historically accurate or inaccurate; I find myself fascinated with Boardwalk Empire and I'm constantly doing fact-checking on that series. I find myself often liking the fictional characters much more than the figures that were historically real individuals. I find that a lot of the show is good and true to the time period, but then the leads are not based on real people which does sometimes bother me. (That's the history teacher in me.) I loved the series Rome on HBO; and that was so lavish, so beautifully done that I could care less how accurate or inaccurate it was! Same with Deadwood!
    Yes, thanks for sharing! Super fun topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, Christi! I'm glad you enjoyed my story. I simply cannot wait to finish that series. I'm foaming at the bit now this show is on. I agree, there really aren't enough Viking stories out there nowadays. It's sad because the men really were the first real gentlemen. They really took care of their wives and respected them.

      I haven't heard of Boardwalk Empire, that's one I'll have to look up. And Rome! I don't have HBO but I wanted to see it sooo badly! I heard it was awesome. Maybe here soon I can catch up on what I've missed with it. So glad you dropped by!!

      Delete