Our Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Things We Like


By Samantha Grace

When I took down the Christmas tree this year, I decided to reorganize all of the holiday decorations. As I was stirring up dust bunnies and tossing out old stuff, I came across a tote with a few things I’ve picked up over the years: handmade boxes. I don’t actively seek out boxes to collect, but for some reason I’m always drawn to them at home stores and estate sales. I even found one in Zambia, Africa I had to have.


The design on this box was made by a tool that looked like a tiny pickax

Being the curious person I am, I decided to look up the symbolism of boxes. According to Freud, a box represents the womb. (Really, he is so predictable!) I suppose the symbolism could be fitting in a way. My job as a social worker might mark me as a nurturer, but I think I’m more of the tough love variety.


So what if I put a photo of my babies in a box long before I looked up the symbolism...
If I were to dream of a closed box, it could represent a fear of my unconscious. Well, I don’t dream of boxes and the first thing I do is open them. I want to see what’s inside! Part of me may like the idea of containing and controlling my environment, but a larger part of me is eager to discover something new.
And in my pursuit of new discoveries, I asked the other Lady Scribes what kind of things they find irresistible.

Here’s what some of the ladies had to say:

Andris Bear I’m obsessed with socks (the uglier the better) and coffee mugs. I have no idea why. Maybe because I’m always cold so I always wear socks? And I’d give up air before my coffee. Yeah, that’s probably it. Loll


My hubs calls them my barf socks because they look like someone spewed on my feet.

Lily George I am drawn to objects that are from the 1920s and 1930s because those eras are my favorite in history. Having these items around me in my home help make me feel a little less homesick for those times.


This is a barrister-style case that was made in the 1920s to hold 78s. It holds about 400 78s, which is a little over half of my collection.
Erin Knightely So, I am an absolute Snoopy freak. I LOVE that adorable little beagle. The moment I see him, I go all gooey and warm inside - the way I imagine most people do when they see a baby, lol. I've collected Peanuts stuff since I was a kid, and now have quite a few ornaments, figurines, tshirts, calendars, mugs, etc., etc. 

My favorite of all is the little decal I bought for my computer. Snoopy at his typewriter - perfection! 
Deb Marlowe My only collection is my Nutcracker collection. Numerous jokes could be made of that. :-) But what really draws me to them is that the Nutcracker was my first ballet. I fell in love! I also love that I can skew my collection toward historical and literary characters.


Sherlock Holmes
Catherine Gayle I collect throw pillows. I tend to buy furniture in solid neutral colors, and then I use things like throw pillows to add color and character. That way, when I'm sick of a certain color scheme, it is quick and easy (and relatively inexpensive) to change the whole look of my decor. So I tend to have a lot of throw pillows of just about every variety. 


If you need a pillow, I'm your girl. :)

Jane Charles It is no secret like wine so when someone started making wine glasses for the shows I worked on I had to get one (of each). Now, I am having them made for each book of my books.


A Season to Remember
Ava Stone I have been a collector all my life. Baseball cards and Barbie dolls when I was younger. My holiday village at Christmas time. But the collection that gets the most notice is mostly my magnets. I collect a magnet from everywhere I go. I have hundreds. Every piece of metal in my office is covered with travel destinations and here is a section of my refrigerator. 
It's like a little piece of each vacation I take will always be with me. (I do the same thing with Christmas ornaments too.)

Jerrica Knight Catania For as long as I can remember, I've dreamed of being a mom to a little girl. I love pink and all things girly, so even before I knew I was having a girl, I stocked up on little girl clothes. And after 3 years, my little obsession has become a big obsession. 

Little B has a million dresses and skirts and dress up clothes!
Julie Johnstone I don't collect anything, unless a problem with buying shoes counts. LOL. I'm  drawn to boots because I like to display different parts of my personality in an independent way.

My boots!


Now it's your turn! What things do you find irresistible and/or collect? Why do you think you're drawn to those things?



32 comments:

  1. Samantha,
    What a fun blog. I loved seeing the things everyone is drawn to. Your boxes are beautiful and that picture of your kids is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. My kids were just little squirts when I took that one. :)

      Delete
  2. I can say that I have seen Jerrica's daughter wearing a large number of those pink dresses live and in person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She knows how to wear dresses well, doesn't she? I love to watch videos of her twirling around to make her skirt flare. :)

      Delete
    2. Hee. I have no idea where she gets it ;)

      Delete
    3. Cat, did you ever see her in shorts or pants? We finally got her to succumb to the pant for our trip to CT this weekend BUT they had to have a tu-tu over them. Ones that twirled. lol.

      Delete
    4. The only problem I can foresee is she will one day grow up to dislike all things pink lol.

      Delete
  3. I used to collect pretty china plates but, after moving to a new state almost 3 years ago to a MUCH smaller space, I have given away most of my possessions (and plan to keep it that way). It will be much easier to move back home when I'm ready! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria,
      I definitely believe in less is more, which is why I don't have huge collections of anything. I love china plates, too, and tea pots, but I just admire them other places without bringing them home. :)

      Delete
    2. That's why my collection is a holiday themed one. I can stand the clutter for 3 weeks to a month. I adore it, revel in it--then it has to go.

      :-)

      Delete
  4. This is so fun seeing everyone's collections!! I love them all, but I think the barf socks are my favorite! LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! My husband curls his lip when I wear them, as if the socks have somehow insulted his sense of dignity. Bhaha! Naturally, I love them and have asked my mom to buy more. ;}

      Delete
  5. I love the barf socks too! We are an interesting bunch! Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to accumulate books in all forms (real or digital). I have a habit to collect ornaments especially really cute ones. I have a habit of RTC, yes they are my absolute favorite. They kind of reminding of baseball cards. Pens. I love pens. So there you have it the things I collect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That reminds me, did I ever send RTC to you? I'll have a new one soon. :)

      Delete
    2. LOL. Yes, you did. I'm just waiting for Luke's card. When that comes in, I need it. ;D

      Delete
  7. At first I was thinking that I didn't collect anything. I haven't, anyway, in a really long time. But once I used to collect alphabet books. Everywhere I went, I'd find some sort of alphabet book that captured a specific place, so I'd pick one up. When I traveled internationally, I'd get one there. My most interesting is probably the Welsh one. They've all since been appropriated by my little one, though, so they aren't really a collection any longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cool idea, Hanna! Everything in our house is meant to be used and enjoyed. I don't see the point in saving things to resale, but maybe I'm short-sighted. :)

      Delete
  8. Very simple answer for me: I love to collect, read and treasure books. When I first learned to read as a little kid, I felt rich when I had a book in my hands because I knew I held adventure right there! Love my books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To look at my office, I collect books too. There is definitely something magical about books. :)

      Delete
  9. This is a great post! I love seeing what everyone is drawn to and collects. :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andris! I really enjoyed it too.

      Delete
  10. Oh duh, Samantha. I do collect handbags. Gosh! I blame my sleep deprived mind. I loved this blog post by the way. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Hopefully, you can collect some ZZZs soon. :)

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness, these boxes are gorgeous. I actually stopped reading for a moment to study them. : ) I personally used to collect depression glass. Since I was 9 I fell in love with antiques. I started collecting pink depression glass and imagined my kitchen some day done in all pink. Then my aunt, gently pointed out to me (when I was ten) that all pink might be dull....so I discovered green depression glass and imagined it interwoven in place settings. I collected it all the way through college. Mixed in with some yellow glass as well. I eventually found my kitchen to display it in. But when our son was born and we discovered his diagnosis in order for me to stay out of work and take care of him, had to sell a lot of my things. I thought I would be more sad about it but then I discovered a new collection. Toys that could be used to help him develop his gross motor and fine motor skills...and flash cards. And theeeeeen I discovered Kids Consignment events in NC, which are these major consignment sales for used children's toys. Imagine a spectacular warehouse filled to the brim with toys and books and large play areas...my heart's racing just thinking about it! My adrenaline would speed as I waited outside to get in and find whatever great toy I hadn't yet found for him. I even worked hours and hours free just so I could get into those sales early! Worth every penny...even if my DH disagrees. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's really sweet, Christi. It's amazing how our priorities can change once we have a little on in our lives. :)

      Delete
  12. I have a few collections. I have a massive frog and giraffe collection of nicnacks and whatnot that range from figurines to postcards. Speaking of postcards, I have a box filled with various cards from places that I have been, along with those souveineer spoons (I have one for just about every state and a couple of countries). I collect book-markers with tassels. I don't use them but like what they look like. By far my books are my favorite collections. They are all organized and out where anyone can see. I do have an odd collection if you can call it that, I did a lot of traveling when I was younger and in every place I went I would pick up a seashell or a pretty stone today I have enough that they fill a princess house vase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Misty,
      I like to bring different things back from our travels, too. One of my favorites is a post card from New Orleans with a grain of "dirty rice" on stage getting ready to do a pole dance. Oh, how I like whimsy! LOL. I framed it and now I need to find it again to hang in my kitchen. I totally forgot about it until now, because I packed it away when they were doing construction two years ago. (Forehead slap)

      I also have a drawing of an egg plant dressed in a tutu in my kitchen. Hahahaha...

      Delete
    2. I have a scrap book of all the odd places that I've been too along the way. It contains napkins and "freebie" trinkets from stops along the way. I love the weird souvenirs that you can pick up for next to no money. Being that my spoon collection has 46 of the 50 states, I have now moved onto crushed pennies lol.

      Delete
  13. Hi Smantha!

    I love the different assortment of things that everyone collects. Besides book I've read and loved and continue collecting my favorite collectibles are Llardo porcelain figurines from Spain.

    My husband "hooked" after my husband finished his duty in the US Navy during Vietnam and decided to become a "week-end warrior" and joined the Navy Reserves and was assigned P-3 squadron like portrayed in The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy! He had many deployments to Spain and that's where he bought me my very first Lladro in the late 1970's.

    The company was founded by 3 brothers in 1953 and the company is based in Tavernes Blanque, Valencia. At the time in Spain the figures where reasonably priced and his first purchase was a Don Quixote figurine because he knew it was the very first "historical romance" book I ever read!

    Over the years he was in the Reserves he tried to add to my "collection" whenever he returned to Spain and they quickly became treasures to me! Unfortunately the prices not only in Spain went up but also here in the US, which were also much higher than buying them at their source in Spain.

    I must admit that every time I go to a yard sale or flea market I always have my eyes open for a hidden Lladro waiting to come home with me but so far no luck but if anyone ever find one be sure to let me know!

    PS: The Don Quixote sits proudly on my book case in constant reminder of not only the books I love but of Cervantes the first true historical romance author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up Llardo, because I'd never heard of this company and the figurines are gorgeous. And as you said, EXPENSIVE now. LOL Now I'll be on the lookout at estate sales.

      How sweet that your hubby brought back a gift with such meaning for you. I think he's a keeper. :-)

      Delete