Our Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

Ah...New Orleans!!!


This last week, I was in New Orleans for the day job. The bad news: I had to work nearly every waking hour I was there. The good news: I still found a little time to enjoy the city with The Scientist.
The haunted walking tours in the French
Quarter at night are sooo much fun!
I do love New Orleans. It’s one of my most favorite places to visit. I love shopping on Royal Street during the day and strolling down Bourbon Street at night. I love taking walking tours of the French Quarter, whether they be historical or ghostly in nature.

I love pralines.

I love beignets.

I love gumbo.

Truly, if I stayed too long, they’d have to roll me out of the city. I’m not kidding. I think I gained 5 pounds, just breathing in the air.

Maybe we shouldn't discuss this
picture. Just forget you saw it.




Then there was the liquid lunch in some To-Go cups...

The one thing I have always done, each and every time I’ve been in New Orleans is get my Tarot cards read in Jackson Square. It’s become a sort of tradition, and I never have them read anywhere else. I mean, there’s something mystical about New Orleans, so what better place to have your Tarot cards read, right?

I know, you hear Tarot cards and think I’m crazy. BUT… the first time I ever had my cards read, the reader told me that getting married to my now ex-husband was a mistake. I should have listened. Seriously. I’ve been a believer ever since. Or, you know, kind of. It feels funny to say that. I’ve never made any life decisions from a reading but when things happen, after I’ve been told they will, I always get a little chill.

Last year, when I was in New Orleans, the reader I met in Jackson Square told me that very soon I would meet the perfect man for me. Two weeks later, I met The Scientist. Although he’s always telling me he’s not perfect (and how many men say that?!?) I’m always telling him he’s perfect for me. And truly he is. In so many ways, I’ve never been happier than I am now.

The Scientist and me beside the Mississippi.
If the picture was just a little further to the
right, you'd see Jackson Square behind us!
So this year, I dragged The Scientist with me to Jackson Square. The French Quarter Festival was in full swing, so the fortunetellers were in a much tighter space than normal, and there weren’t as many as usual. (Local artists, displaying their wares took up most of the space in the Square.)

I perused the area until I felt I’d found the right reader. The Scientist and I sat across from each other. I chose my deck of cards, shuffled them until they felt right and then handed them back to the reader.  I only got a general reading this time, as there was nothing specific on my mind. Here are a couple of the things she told us:

One of our children should be encouraged to compete in something they’re interested in, something they wouldn’t have considered competing in. That it will open doors to a career down the road.

Our family will overflowing some day, larger than I would have imagined. Whether they are children/grandchildren or friends who might as well be family.  Our house will be filled with loved ones.

This next year will be financially tight. (This did not make me happy. Grrr)

That *I* am happiest when I’m my own boss. (Actually, I prefer to be the boss of everyone, but ok.)

In the end, we’ll have more money than we need. (Ok, I can deal with 1 tight year, but no more than that. I am pretty spoiled, after all.)

The Scientist and I bring out the best in each other. That we compliment each other’s weaknesses.

Next year the Romantic Times Booklovers Convention is in New Orleans, which I can hardly wait to attend. Pralines. Beignets. Gumbo. Royal Street. Bourbon Street. Ghost tours. And, of course, seeing all of the Lady Scribes in person. 

What are the odds I’ll end up at Jackson Square, having my Tarot cards read? Pretty close to 100%. I may even drag some Lady Scribes along with me too.

Have you ever had your Tarot cards read? If so, did you find the reading on the mark? Or a bunch of bunk?

Have you been to New Orleans? What is your favorite thing to do there?

But most importantly, will you be at RT? This year in Kansas City? Next year in New Orleans?

32 comments:

  1. Love that pic of you and The Scientist! So glad you guys had fun.

    I've never been to New Orleans, but I'm definitely planning on changing that next year--RT will be a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love New Orleans, Deb! I can hardly walk down Bourbon Street with all our fellow Lady Scribes. I'm thinking - no matter what that city has seen - we'll turn it on its ear. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have never been to NO, but hope to hit RT for the ebook author day, and then spend 2 days touring. When does registration open? And so interesting about the tarot. Such a wonderful life ahead for you! It's been AGES since I had mine read by someone other than myself. I will definitely get that done. And I won't hit you up for money until year after next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Carol! Thanks for giving me a year before you hit me up for money. ;) Registration for RT seems to open earlier and earlier. So my guess would be that registration will open a month or so after Kansas City (but I don't know that for sure.)

      Delete
  3. Ava,
    That picture of you and The Scientist makes me misty-eyed. I know, I'm such a sap! But I love seeing you happy.

    I love New Orleans, too, and I'm planning to go next year to RT. Hubby is coming along and maybe the kids. I know they'd like to go. If only we could afford a nanny to go too...

    I've had my cards read a few times, but there's one reader who seems to be spot-on. She told me I had to follow my dream because I would find success in doing what brings me happiness, and I shouldn't be afraid because it would be profitable. That was a few months before my first book came out. I'm still waiting for the profitable part to kick in. LOL. She also told me to see a chiropractor, which I haven't done. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Sam! :) The Scientist is pretty wonderful.

      My son would die to go to New Orleans. That's why he's not going. LOL. He would find a way to get to Bourbon Street. So, I'm keeping that from happening by not even entertaining the idea of bringing him along.

      The Scientist will be with me though. He's excited that we'll stay for about a week next time.

      Can't wait to see you in Kansas City! That's just around the corner.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  4. I LOVE New Olreans! My best friend as a teenager grew up there. She was 4 years older than I. Oh man, we get into trouble. On one visit, I woke up in her Aunt's flower garden with strange hickeys. I eventually remembered the evening, but you have to watch those Hurricanes!

    I even have a series based in NO and will write about the city and her great people again, I'm sure. I believe the Brit and I are going this fall. Either that or Vegas. Not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Strange hickeys" I think that'll be the quote of the day, Mari. :)

      It is such a wonderful city, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. I have never had my Tarot cards read, but I own several sets of them because I think they're so beautiful and mystical! I did get a psychic reading once, though, and it has turned out to be almost scarily on the mark. I would LOVE to be able to go to RT next year and see the city!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarra ~ I hope you can come. RT is soooo much fun! And in New Orleans, I can't even imagine how much fun that will be.

      You'll have to let Andris look at your Tarot card collection, since she reads them. :)

      Delete
  6. Great picture of you two! I've never had my Tarot cards read, but my dad did and the woman, down in New Orleans, couldn't get a read on him. She was like: This has never happened before. LOLOLOL.

    So I can only imagine what one would say to me. heh. I'm so going to RT next year. Lady Scribes field trip?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marquita! A LS field trip to Jackson Square is a must. I can't wait to hear what one of the readers says to you. :)

      Delete
    2. Prolly something along the lines of: "I predict Hot Builder will make you watch more annoying shows in the future." heh.

      Delete
    3. Or maybe... Hot Builder will build a pizza place closer to you so you have more delivery options. ;)

      Delete
  7. *Raises hand and jiggles it Ava's face* I'd like to put my bid in for a LS on that trip. ;}
    I used to read tarot cards for friends and family. Unfortunately, you can't read your own, which is very frustrating. Lol.
    I've had a couple psychic readings. One stated that I would move to North Carolina for the man I love. At the time I was way single and not remotely interested in moving away from my family. I blew it off. And now I'm living in North Carolina with the man I love. Hmmm...;}

    Very sweet picture of you and your Scientist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andris! I had no idea you read Tarot cards. :) You can certainly put your bid it for RT2014 in New Orleans. It'll be a blast.

      Living in North Carolina for the man you love...Interesting, indeed. :)

      Delete
  8. You KNOW I'm not going to miss RT in New Orleans. It's New Orleans! My home town!! Sigh. I miss it so much. But yes, most of that 135 pounds I lost not too long ago I gained in New Orleans. It's a very FATTENING city.

    Now I just have to ask, what did the Scientist think of you having your Tarot cards read???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... I think he thought I was slightly crazy. He did *not* want to have his head. He said it might freak him out.

      I told him you'd be at RT next time and with YOU, we'd see the best parts of the city because you know all of the best places to see. :)

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful picture of you and The Scientist. I would love to join you in having a tarot reading next year in New Orleans. You're so on for that one. And, yes, I'll be seeing you in Kansas City. Can't Wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, L.j. ~ It's been too long since we've seen each other. :)

      Delete
  10. I have never been to New Orleans. And I've never had my tarot cards read. I've always been curious about both. So...I'll be coming with you next year at RT. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I can't wait to see what the reader tell you, Cat. :)

      Delete
  11. Great pic. Recently a friend of Tammy's read poker cards for me. They're the same, right? I'm still waiting to find out if everything works out. But it gives me hope things will be on the right track even if it is a tough road.

    Don't know if or when I'll be at a conference again. As soon as the money allows...I'll be there. Come one fates...where is my winning lottery ticket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we need a psychic to tell us... winning lottery numbers ;) Hope to see you at a conference soon, Beth!

      Delete
  12. You and the scientist make a cute couple. Never been to New Orleans, and I lived in Louisiana. I know sad. It would such an awesome birthday if I could be in Kansas this year, since my birthday is on the fourth. Sadly, I will be in Montana. One day I will be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody ~ I can't believe you lived in Louisiana and never made it to New Orleans. How does that even happen?

      Some day you'll have to come to RT. You would love it. :)

      Delete
  13. YEP! LOVE NOLA! Actually, I live in Baton Rouge now, and I almost went down to the French Quarter Festival last Sunday, but the weather was iffy.

    I'll be seeing you next year in NOLA for the convention! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha! The weather was awful. There was an accident Sunday morning in *1* lane and they shut down all 5 lanes of the freeway. We were thiiiiis close to missing our flight.

      But next year at RT will be amazing! See you then. :)

      Delete
  14. I LOVED your blog. First, you are a beautiful couple! You look so happy! : ) And yes, I WILL be at the convention...my first one! I have never been to New Orleans but you make it sound like a wonderful place (minus the gaining 5 lbs from breathing...) that I CERTAINLY don't need. ; ) I've always wanted my cards read but I'm a tad nervous to see what the cards have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christi ~ I'm so glad you'll be going to the convention! I had no idea you were considering it. How exciting. I love meeting all of the Lady Scribes in person. :)

      Delete
  15. What a fabulous picture of you two! Love it! I'd love to got to New Orleans! I really, really want to visit the ghostly French Quarter! I think you and I are one of the few who like the spooky stuff so one day when I get the chance I'm going on Halloween! I love the idea of that lol. Great pics and I love to hear about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzie! You'll love the city. It is so much fun, and right up your alley. ;)

      Delete