Our Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

From Heathen to Princess...

It's no secret that I'm a lover of all things girly. My penchant for Disney Princesses is known all over the globe, and my obsession with pretty gowns and tiaras was part of what led me to become a writer of historical romance. I love pink, the ballet, whimsy and romance. And I love feeling beautiful and dainty, and sipping tea from delicate cups. Well, I like all those things in theory. However, reality sets in and the real Jerrica comes out. Just ask some of your fellow Lady Scribes who spent this last Wednesday evening with me.

What happened Wednesday evening? Well, first, I put on a pretty dress and my makeup, blew out my hair and was chauffeured by our own Ava Stone to my very first reading at Lady Jane's Salon in Raleigh. It went great, but that's neither here nor there, because what I want to talk about is the after party.

Once we were ensconced in Ava's comfy living room, along with Catherine Gayle, Erin Knightley and Olivia Kelly, it became astoundingly clear that I lack a filter. Of any kind. And I worry I may have scarred my friends for life with some of the stories I shared (sorry, guys!)

But whatever, this isn't terribly newsworthy. I've always known I would probably get along better with Queen Caroline than Queen Victoria. As a matter of fact, Lord Malmsbury once said of Caroline that "she lacked judgment, decorum and tact, spoke her mind too readily, acted indiscreetly, and often neglected to wash, or change her dirty clothes. He went on to say that she had 'some natural but no acquired morality, and no strong innate notions of its value and necessity.'" -Wikipedia

I smell a BFF!!!

Alright, so I don't have much of a filter when I'm in a certain crowd. Believe it or not, I do know how to conduct myself in a gracious manner when it really counts. However, I'm starting to wonder if my heathenish sensibilities are rubbing off on my 3-year-old daughter. Or maybe it's just in her blood! And I worry that this is going to ruin her chances of marrying into the British Aristocracy one day. Somehow I can't imagine the Duchess of Cambridge stripping down to her birthday suit and announcing, "There's butt here!" in a sing-song voice. Or declaring that she's "Hunting for treasure boogers!" as she, well, you know...digs for gold, shall we say?

Despite the fact that we often read "Polite as a Princess," she still shimmies under the tables at restaurants, kicks off her shoes and only pops her head up once in a while for me to throw a french fry into her mouth. But of course, it's all done while she's wearing one of her princess gowns and a tiara. Oy! She is my Mini Me.

What about you? Are you a proper miss who chooses her words and actions carefully? Or do you fall into the "no filter" category like my daughter and me? Any tips for getting a rambunctious 3-year-old with no regard for authority to mind her manners?

25 comments:

  1. My filter depends on the crowd. Sometimes it's a huge relief to let it all hang out!

    Aw, your little Princess is adorable! She won't always shimmy under the table--she'll keep on coming with new and inventive ways to flummox you. :-) The challenge is just to stay a little ahead. If you can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That totally reminds me of that episode of The Middle where the mom and dad decide they're going to try to "get ahead of it." I'm pretty sure I would be as successful as they were. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Your daughter is a hoot! I love her high-spirits.

    I definitely filter, but my mind is like a teenage boy's. It's better if I filter. LOL. Still, I'm more relaxed around certain people, and I'm completely myself with my husband. I bet he would like it if I stripped naked and said, "There's butt here!" ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "my mind is like a teenage boy's." LOL! I'm so sad I won't be at RT to bring out the teenage boy in you, Sam! And let us know how the strip-down goes. LOL!

      Delete
  3. I'm a bit of a mix. LOL. In general, I might keep my filter on a bit too tightly. But then I let it all hang out online. (Well, not all. I keep my butt under wraps. Sorry?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we know you do, C-Gayle! LOL! I love when you let loose in person, though...we have some great stories from you. "Oh, Cat! I feel it..." Well, you know the rest. LMAO!

      Delete
  4. Filterless people are usually the most fun! I always have a filter, but it varies in its 'properness' based on who I am with. I think a lot of people this I am waaaay more proper than I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're way less proper than I even *I* thought you were, E-Knightley! LOL!

      Delete
  5. Dude I need to get my filter check. I tend to be honest and forthcoming, so the filter goes uncheck every now and again. I told a lady at church I read romance novels, she thinks I might be need of saving. Good thing I didn't say my favorite show was Game of Thrones. So, I filter on Facebook and twitter is where I'm more unfiltered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Melody. Probably because none of my family is on Twitter. I can say whatever I want there :)

      Delete
    2. My husband has a twitter account, but he has unfollow end me. Which is fine, because I can say whatever.

      Delete
    3. Your husband unfollowed you?

      Delete
  6. My filter is usually in place with the majority of people and in most places, unless I am with certain people (Jerrica and Ava). However, with probably most people, that filter tends to disappear as the wine starts flowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to get you liquored up, Jane! Ugh! This is making me even sadder that I won't be at RT!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's a filter?
    Bahaha! Ahem. Clearly, I don't need to respond to your question for you to know the answer. I know my husband and at least one child are often mortified by what comes out of mouth. Fortunately, the other two are like me and we all have a rousing good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm still so bummed I didn't get to meet you in person last week. I have a feeling we'd get along splendidly! ;)

      Delete
    2. Me too! The trouble, er, fun, we could get into! ;D

      Delete
  9. I can be rather filterless for the most part, but I do know how to behave in public. I'm trained so no worries. I won't embarrass anyone lol. But I have to admit I am very, very filtered online because let's face it, once you write it down, it's down forever! Be very careful of what you post!!! But in person, I'm fairly in your face. With a house full of boys, teen boys at that, I'm like Samantha, and I have a mind like a teenage boys. So glad to see I am not alone in this! And alcohol definitely loosens my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another one I look forward to liquoring up! LOL!

      Delete
  10. Hee-Hee-Hee! My Mama raised me to be a quiet and shy little girl who bit her tongue and kept her thoughts to herself. BUT!!! Today that little girl is a big, old mouthy person who says what she thinks! I have no filter and I love it. Don’t know if it’s something that comes with being older, but if that’s the case, then just call me Maxine of the greeting cards. I had a boss who told me once that he hired me because I was a pushy broad. One of the best compliments ever! My older sister is always shushing me and I ignore her. Why bottle it up inside? As long as I’m not intentionally hurting anyone, who cares?

    As for your daughter, just remind her to not hurt someone’s feelings and give her time. Down the road, her forthright nature will bode well for her in the future. She will be a leader both in her business and her private life. Three cheers for people like us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Connie! I love that Maxine greeting cards, so I'm certain I'd love you too.

    And thank you! I certainly hope you're right about my kiddo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jerrica, I think it depends where I am and who I'm with. The more comfortable I feel, the less filtering my filter does. LOL!

    I totally agree with Connie, unless B is being ugly and hurtful, don't stifle it. :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. First, your princess sounds like my kind of princess! As do you, Jerrica! I snort when I laugh an laugh too loudly and have zero filter. Oh, and if you figure out any rambunctious toddler strategies, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Contrary to popular belief, I do have a filter. Kind of. I mean, I pretty much say what I think and to whomever (as you are well aware). But having been raised in the south by a former Miss Houston, there are certain things it would never occur to me to say.

    I can have...ahem...decorum. ;)

    ReplyDelete