Our Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Getting Out of Your Reading Slump


Misty Helm
The Lady Scribes are thrilled to have our first ever Reader Guest Blogger today, Misty Helm. I have to quickly tell you the cutest story of how I met Misty. A few months before my debut book hit the shelves, Misty sent me the sweetest message about how readers were in for a treat when they read my book. She's a book seller, so she was able to get an early copy to read to see if the bookstore should stock any of my books. I can't tell you how relieved I was to hear that at least one person liked my story. It eased my fears about release day so much. But the really cute part is how she chose my book out of all the other fantastic books being released the same month. You see, she has a niece named Samantha Grace, so naturally my name jumped out at her. Then to top it off, there was this really hot guy on the cover. Well, little Miss Samantha Grace's mom reads romance novels and at the time, Samantha would say the men on the covers were her boyfriends. So thanks to this adorable little girl, I had the chance to meet one of the nicest people on the planet, and I'm happy to call her my good friend. And now I'll turn this blog over to her.  

I am a book lover of all things romance, well most things romance. I read contemporary, historical, paranormal, and suspense, the only sub-genre I’m not keen on would have to be fantasy romance. I go through various cycles when it comes to what I’m in the mood to read. I have the tendency to read one of the sub-genres until I feel quite burned out and then I move onto the next one. I have to confess that it’s been a longer stretch than normal since I've read any paranormal romance, even though my shelves are stuffed to the gills with numerous paranormal romance books.  I just hadn't been in the mood for it. The same for a time could be said about reading historical romances as well. I simply had not been reading them; however my excuse is that when I’m in a semester I typically juggle two or three history classes and time lines tend to blur. 

A few nights ago I was sitting on Facebook watching a steady stream of people discussing the next installment of J.R. Ward’s wildly popular Black Dagger Brotherhood novel which is to release on March 26, 2013. It then and there dawned on me that I was close to being three books behind in that series and I cannot stand having more than one book in any series waiting for me to read. So needless to say, I picked up Lover Unleashed and devoured the book within a few hours. That was all it took to send me flying straight back into the realm of paranormal romance. I didn't stop with the Black Dagger series, I quickly followed suit with several other established paranormal romance authors and even threw a few new “to me” authors into the mix. Now, I am a super fast reader and have since gone through five other books including a few new to me authors.
           
The end to my paranormal slump got me to thinking. Do you have a trigger author that will send you into frenzy reading of anything and everything available by your favorite authors/ genres until your brain cannot take any more? I know for me all it takes for me to get back into reading a favorite author or series is to push myself to read one of my favorite authors.

Misty is also a book reviewer and you can follow her reviews at Misty's Book Bin on FB. Don't forget to like her. We sure do! Or you can go directly to Misty's Book Bin Blog

27 comments:

  1. Misty,
    It's wonderful having you blog at Lady Scribes! First, (as an aside), I love how diverse your reading interests are. So many, myself included, have certain genres that we read and write and as a result sometimes struggle to move beyond the comfort zone.
    Lisa Kleypas is one of my trigger authors. Julia Quinn another. You know the author whose page you keep checking to see 'when the heck is the next book coming out'?! I can read historical romance ALL day long, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christi, for the most part the only sub-genre I don't care for is fantasy (which I tend to separate from the paranormal/urban fictions genres). I am a student working towards a degree in history. So I do admit that my historical romances sometimes have to take that back seat to my studies. In the historical genre my two biggest triggers tend to be Victoria Alexander and Julia Quinn as well. I love the laughter they add to their writings. I do love Lisa Kleypas as well but it seems to me that she's walked away from the historical romances in favor of writing her contemporary series.

      Delete
  2. Misty,
    It's great to have you with us today. Thanks so much for agreeing to be a guest blogger with us today. I'm blown away by how fast you can read! For me, Sabrina Jeffries gets me excited about reading Regency. I read "The Truth About Lord Stoneville" not long ago and it made me want to devour even more Regency romance. Sherry Thomas or Meredith Duran does it for me for Victorian.

    You know, I don't often mention the ladies on the blog, but we have some outstanding authors. Many of us are critique partners, so I get to read their work from the beginning, and let me tell you, they set the bar high. My outside reading has decreased mostly because I'm reading fantastic stories all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read on average a book a day. Last year I hit just shy of the 200 book mark for their readers challenge. If I am in extreme reading mode I can easily cut through two or even three historical romances. No one knows why but I've always had the knack of reading fast which is why I read very few Harlequin those are like 20 minutes and they are done for me.

      Delete
  3. Hi Misty, welcome to Lady Scribes! We are so glad to have you here. My trigger authors are Colette, L.M. Montgomery, and Amanda Quick. If I read one book by one of these authors, I have to keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lily, I absolutely love L.M. Montgomery! She is one of my all time favorite writers as well as being one of my most suggested readings for young girls.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for being with us today, Misty!

    I'm with Christi -- Julia Quinn and Lisa Kleypas both do it for me in the historical realm. And Sophie Kinsella in the chicklit realm.

    But I have to agree with Samantha, too...reading the works on my critique partners can really get me excited about reading again too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie Kinsella is one of my favorites, too. She's so funny!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for having me today! It's quite the honor! I have to be honest unless you count Nicholas Sparks as chicklit Sophie Kinsella is the only chicklit author I've ever read and she's quite funny. Although I would these days go as far as saying that Lisa Kleypas' Crystal Cove series tends to come off more as a chicklit read than a pure romance.

      Delete
  5. Hi Misty! Great post! I get so into books that I stay up at night jus to fininsh them, reading 3-4 in a week. I too got sucked into JR Ward's books and not only read the Black Dagger series, but her Fallen Angels as well. I didn't think I liked paranormal, but guess I was wrong! As for trigger authors, Lisa Kleypas' historicals, Anna Campbell, Renee Bernard and Vicky Dreiling. Plus many many others. I can't even keep count any more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, to be honest with you I never thought I'd read paranormal. In fact it was an ex-boyfriend who introduced me to Laurell K Hamilton, and well I can say that was all she wrote when it came to me not reading paranormal romances. I couldn't read those fast enough! JR Ward, and Laurell K Hamilton are beyond favorites, but Sherrilyn Kenyon implanted herself as a personal favorite after I'd read Acheron. That single book touched emotions that hadn't been triggered when reading before.Her Dark Hunters are so much a favorite of mine that I had their logo permanently inked onto my arm last spring. For me it doesn't represent her books per say but my love of books period.

      Delete
  6. Hi everyone! I am so thrilled to be here today. The blog started off as a simple rambling of my mind that would not turn off. So I chose to write it down and when I finished I realized that I had an interesting topic here. I’m going to add a little more to Samantha’s back story. It was my best friend’s mom that exposed us to the historical romance genre, and to this day I believe that without her I would still be reading Harlequin’s shorter stories. As teens, Diane and I would read anything and everything that had a cowboy/Native American theme during my early days of reading romance. However over time our tastes in romance would change. Mine would take an even more serious turn after I moved away from home, and then I was off reading anything and everything that the romance genre could provide thus giving me a sound background with the romance genre. Today I work in that same store where I purchased many of the books I was purchasing in those early days. I still read anything and everything romance….well minus a few sub-genres that I do struggle with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for blogging with us today, Misty! I don't tend to read too many paranormal romances, but I absolutely love historicals. But since I write them, I tend to try not to read them while I'm writing. Picking up a Mary Balogh book always draws me back into them, though, and then I can't seem to put them down for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mary Balogh and tend to read her as soon as she hits the shelves with a new paperback.

      Delete
  8. When I get into a reading slump, I tend to go to novellas, because they are a quick read. Sometimes I just need a quick read to get me going. Great post Misty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely read novellas myself because they are so short but I do often suggest novellas to customers. They are the perfect way to introduce a person to new authors.

      Delete
  9. So excited to have you join us, Misty! As for reader slumps, they definitely happen from time to time for me. Most recently I've been reading YAs that I've really enjoyed - Insurgent, The Hunger Game Trilogy, Matched, and Perfect Chemistry, to name a few :) As much as I adore historical romances, sometimes a girl needs a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin, thank you for having me. I should be ashamed that I've not yet read the Hunger Games Trilogy but I really have to be in a slump for YA.I did love the Twilight series though.

      BTW I received your goodies yesterday, and all I have to say is I feel sorry for your children during the holidays. You know how to make usage of tape! LOL....Thank you for the package

      Delete
    2. Haha!! Yeah - sorry about that, lol. I initially was just going to send the standard envelope, and when I decided to add extra goodies, well, I didn't want to waste the envelope I'd already printed!

      Lucky for all, I don't have children to torture with my gratuitous tape usage ;)

      Delete
  10. Hi, Misty! I'm most definitely the type to find all of an author's work once I like one of them (same case with music artists, I'm afraid). When I get into a reading slump though, I go to read more historicals (or do something else that doesn't involve reading). I believe out of the many books I've read in the past year, only 5 have been contemporaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My books cases are bursting at the seems these days with all of the authors writing series these days. When I'm in a bad slump I tend to prefer books that are that don't make me think.

      Delete
  11. Welcome, Misty! So happy to have you here today on Lady Scribes.

    I love JR Ward's BDB. Another fav of mine is Lara Adrian's Breed series. If I read either of those, then I'm read to glom everything vampire. Lisa K and Julia Q make me wanna read historical while Rachel G and Carly P have me happy with the contemporary times. :)

    All in all it doesn't take much to give me an excuse to read! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I do love Lara Adrian and Kresley Cole who's series are both quite similar. Rachel and Carly have long been my favorites of the contemporary worlds. I also love Jill Shalvis and Lori Foster.

      Delete
  12. Hi Misty! Welcome to Lady Scribes! I wish my genres were as diverse as yours, but I tend to stick within my favorites. I like contemporary and paranormal best, but my trigger, must-read authors are Karen Marie Moning, Lara Adrian, Kresley Cole and Sherrilyn Kenyon. Love all those dark dangerous men! ;}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have not read Karen Marie Moning yet but I keep looking at them when I'm shelving books lol. I'm with you on the above authors, I do tend to like them on the dark side.

      Delete
  13. Welcome to Lady Scribes, Misty! So sorry to be late--I'm having one of those weeks where I'm lucky to think, let alone get a chance to read!

    I have quite a few favorite authors, which I find very comforting! It's such a joy to know that if I need a great read I can pick up anything by Liz Carlyle, Mary Balogh, Sabrina Jeffries, Elizabeth Peters, John Irving, Loretta Chase, plus all of the Lady Scribes--and settle into a fabulous story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Deb! No need to be sorry. I love Liz Carlyle! She is one of my must read authors.

    ReplyDelete