Our Pages

Monday, April 8, 2013

Mood Music

Music is powerful. Certain instrumentals can bring goosebumps and some lyrics can make us laugh or cry, and other songs transport us to a different time in our life and evoke emotions from our youth.  I won't tell you which artists make me want to dance because I would only age myself.

I know there are authors out there who have a playlist for when they sit down to write. I have never been able to do that because it is always too much of a distraction.  However, after I blogged about American Idol a few weeks ago and hearing the Beatles songs, I realized that I don't have to listen while I write, but I can listen before I sit down at the computer.

Sadly, I haven't listened to much music over the past year and couldn't tell you who is currently at the top of the charts.  I am either listening to an audiobook while I drive or everything is turned off because I am working through a story in my head.  Whereas my husband and kids always have the radio on or a CD or their iPod plugged in and none of them listen to the same thing.  My husband has always preferred music from the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970's, my middle daughter bounces from Pop to Musicals (she is the theatre girl), my eldest is all over the place (the musician and artist) and my son, well, I am not sure what it is he is listening too.  Oh dear, did I just become that parent? The turn down that noise parent?

Yet, there is some music that continues to return and be rediscovered by a new generation.  I'll never forget when my oldest asked my husband and I if we had ever heard for The Doors.  I have no idea what song she had heard but my daughter was all excited about discovering a new group.  She wanted to buy the CDs or download the music until I took her over the the album collection and pulled out a few by The Doors. Those albums have been by the turntable her entire life, yet she never bothered to look through them.  After showing her those three, she and her boyfriend spent the entire afternoon going through our selection of records, playing them and making a list of what needed to be downloaded for listening pleasure.

I used to have "go-to" music for certain things.  When cleaning, I used to listen to Meatloaf and Jesus Christ Superstar.  While gardening and working in the yard, it was Mark Schultz or Casting Crowns and for cooking it was usually Mozart, Handel, and the like.  Hmmm, I guess my daughter is not the only one all over the place in music choices.

Though music may have disappeared from my everyday life for a moment, it is making a comeback. When getting ready to write I will be listening to The Beatles because they are simply awesome.

Do you have certain music you like to listen to when you are cleaning, cooking, exercising, or for any other reason.  What is your mood music?


24 comments:

  1. Great post, Jane! When I am cleaning or working out, I listen to anything with a really strong beat. In fact, I love disco music for that, LOL! Go Donna Summer! When I am writing, I can't have any music on--it's too distracting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lily, I can totally see where Disco would be great cleaning music.

      Delete
  2. No music for when I write! I need the quiet.

    But I have two main playlists..one fast tempo for walking or working out and one other that I love to listen to while I cook or sometimes in the car--and that one spans decades and almost every sub genre of music! Plus I have some miscellaneous lists that are for when I'm in the mood for something specific..celtic, christmas, etc..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I need to get a walking playlist. Now that it is finally spring (for the next couple of days anyway) the dog and I are going to get out of the house and reacquaint ourselves with the neighborhood.

      Delete
  3. I love all kinds of music, and I'm currently obsessed with Pandora Radio. When I'm cooking or cleaning, I like R&B or Pop. For exercise, I like anything with a driving force - alternative rock or sometimes dance club remixes. When I'm driving, Keane is one of my favorite bands. I love the lead singer's voice. For writing, I listen to Karsh Kale radio. I think it's classified as Asian Underground. It has a hypnotic quality that puts me in the zone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha,

      I will have to find Karsh Kale because I have yet to find any type of music and can have on while I write.

      Delete
  4. I still clean to Aerosmith. I need hard rock to clean. I like cooking to pop music. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in, and what I'm writing as to which music I listen to. We were traveling home last November and I was pounding away on my laptop in the car. My dear husband figured out that it didn't really matter what was playing on the radio, as long as he didn't flip stations then I kept pounding away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I love Aerosmith and I think they may be in the mix for cleaning. I just haven't cleaned in so long I am not sure what the entire line up is - lol. I do think I have Queen in there as well. Wow, I can't believe you could write and listen to the radio while riding in a car. I am in awe. I am too easily distracted.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Jane. Music rules my life! I relate to certains songs and words in an elemenal way like nothing else I've every experienced. Basically, I have music for every part of my life. For working out The Foo Fighters are my go to band. I like hard pounding, hard rocking lyrics and guitar to get my blood pumping. If I'm writing on my paranormal I will listen to Mother Love Bone, especially Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns. But only BEFORE I write. I'm like you in that I need silence when I'm actually writing. When I cook I like to listen to Nina Simone or Mumford and Sons. When I clean I like to listen to Paul Simon or Peter Gabriele. When I'm driving, I like a lot of differnt music, but right now I'm really into Snow Patrol, and I always love Cold Play. And over a glass of wine there is noting like a little Otis Redding. I think my musical taste is all over the map as well! Oh, lastly is at Thanksgiving and Christmas I ALWAYS play Willie Nelson and Robert Earl Keen while I'm cooking brunch, but for dinner I make everyone listen to Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole or Frank Cinatra. I could go on and on about music, but I'll stop here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie,

      You are all over the place - lol. Otis Redding with a glass of wine sounds like a perfect combination. I may just try that tonight ;).

      Delete
  6. I love music. I think it would be a crime if I didn't. For cleaning the house I tend to listen to Motown or Les Miserables. For running I lke to listen to hip-hop and other stuff that has a beat that forces me to go. Lately I have been listening to Maroon 5 ( love Adam Levine's voice *sigh*), Mumford & Sons, Train (seriously Pat Monahan's voice is to die for too), and FUN. Overall, I love music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody,

      I love music too, but I never considered cleaning to Les Miserables. I may have to give that a try. The problem with musicals is I tend to sing along, which is best done in the winter with the windows closed.

      Delete
  7. Depends on what mood I need to be in ... writing is usually atmospheric chill-out stuff, like the Buddha Bar compilations or Explosions in the Sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanna,

      I haven't heard Buddha Bar, but I haven't listened to music in awhile (I am not counting all the hours I am at the theatre working on musicals). I think I will check them out. I would be nice if I could find something that I could have on in the background that wouldn't distract me from writing.

      Delete
  8. Jane,
    I rarely listen to music unless I'm in the car and then I MUST listen. Woe to the child who attempts conversation in the car. ;] However, I cannot listen to music when I write--it affects my mood so much and then I end up writing the lyrics instead of my words. Ack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andris,

      I used to have music on all of the time. I had my set channels and nobody had better mess with them. They were not what the kids or the husband would listen to, but it was my car and my rules - lol. Then I listened to my first audiobook. I am hooked on listing to books, especially on long trips.

      Delete
  9. My hubby is the music lover in my family :) I am the oddball with all of 10 songs on my iPhone (all but 2 are by brother's songs), and who enjoys silence in the car to music. Every now and then I'll get the bug while cleaning or exercising and put on some music, but I do require silence for writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,

      I am with you on the silence for writing, unless I can find the right music that won't have me singing instead of listening to my characters. I don't have any songs on my phone but I think I have the Pandora app on my Kindle. I've listened to it twice, I think.

      Delete
  10. I love music of all kinds but mostly when I’m driving or riding in the car. When I’m reading, I love complete silence because then I find the music to be very distracting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie,

      I can't read with music either. I pulls me out of the story every time.

      Delete
  11. I love nearly every genre of music. We listen to the radio whenever we go anywhere. At home, I do love listening to my iTunes playlist or Pandora. There are also some webpages for specific bands that I'll go to in order to listen to their latest songs, without commercials. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marquita,

      I had no idea there were webpages for specific bands and it would be awesome to listen without commercials. I can barely stand to watch a television show without it being recorded because I want to fast forward to get back to the show.

      Delete
  12. I ALWAYS listen to music when I write...certain music inspires me and shapes my characters. I love listening to Enya, Mumford and Sons (to my DH's chagrin), The Killers...I can listen over and over again to some songs. (Also to my DH's chagrin!) ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christi,

      I am in awe of you and anyone who can listen to music and write. Maybe I just need to train my brain somehow.

      Delete