Our Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Happy Memorial Day

The Lady Scribes would like to wish everyone a very safe and happy Memorial Day today. Please take a moment, amidst all the festivities and the excitement that is the beginning of summer, to remember those troops who gave their lives for our freedom, and to say thank you to those who continue to serve our country.

Being that it's the start of summer, a time of lying by the pool to read and have cookouts, here is my recipe for an easy BBQ meal, as well as my fun summer reading suggestions...

My Super Yummy "Pulled" BBQ Chicken


What you need:

Chicken Thighs (boneless, skinless)
BBQ Rub (I have an awesome one from Le Fette Sau in Brooklyn, but any rub will do)
Corn on the Cob
Broccoli Slaw
Coleslaw Dressing (I LOVE Marie's Yogurt Slaw dressing, but it can be hard to find sometimes)
BBQ Sauce 

Instructions:

Rinse thighs, throw in crockpot
Cover thighs with rub
Add a little BBQ sauce
Leave on high for 3 hours OR Low for 6 hours
Thighs should fall apart when prodded with fork to resemble pulled chicken

Cook corn however you like (I wrap them in their husks and microwave -- 3 ears = 5 minutes)
Mix slaw with dressing

SERVE and ENJOY!

As for reading, the hubby and I are tearing up the Sophie Kinsella novels right now. So much laughter to be heard as we lie side-by-side in bed reading our respective Sophies :)

I'm currently on Mini Shopaholic, and Eric is on The Undomestic Goddess. But you really can't go wrong, whichever one you choose to indulge in!

Again, we wish you all a safe and happy holiday!

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't hungry until I read this post. I don't think I should fix BBQ for breakfast though.

    Today I will be thinking of those who have given their lives, have served in the past and continue to serve our country. Specifically, my cousin who we lost in Vietnam and my nephew, currently deployed.

    Currently I am reading "Apollo's Angels: A History of Ballet". It is for research and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like some good crockpot BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your menu for today makes me absolutely drool! Making BBQ with chicken is great. Yummy! Hubby is making grilled salmon for dinner tonight. Not very traditional, but we’ll probably splurge with ribs tomorrow night!

    Thanks for the great recipe! Happy Memorial Day to everyone and I hope we will all take a moment to say a little prayer of thanks for the brave men and women who lost their lives so we may have a day to enjoy a delicious dinner of BBQ and live in peace. God bless.

    ReplyDelete