Our Pages

Friday, May 17, 2013

I had a dream...


I know it LOOKS like I'm sleeping peacefully. 
…Well, not an inspiring or populist dream that will be memorized and quoted by school children until the end of time.

But I had a dream, just the same. Actually, I’ve been having very strange dreams lately. In the good ol’ days when I first started writing, I had dreams about characters. I had dreams that inspired books. And I very, very rarely had dreams about myself. Most of my dreams have always been like films, looking in on someone else’s life like a bystander, sitting in a dark movie theatre with popcorn.

But recently, not only have my dreams been strange. They’ve been starring yours truly. And perhaps that’s why they’ve stuck with me longer than my usual dreams. I even told Jerrica about a dream I had about squirrels in one of our ROMANCE RAMBLINGS webisodes.
(For those of you who don’t know… I hate a squirrel. I HATE A SQUIRREL) I even coined a new word to discuss this particular dream – Freudianly. I know it’s not really a word but it so should be!

Anyway, for the last few weeks, we’ve been moving The Scientist from his house into an apartment. He could have moved in with me, but the plan is to wait until my angsty teenager graduates. Not that any of you care about this, I’m sure.

But I digress. Where was I? Oh, the moving. Right. Ok, so we’ve been moving stuff for days and I’m a little more tired than normal. So this week, after I dropped my teenager off at high school, I’ve returned home to grab an extra half hour/forty-five minute nap before work.

Have you ever had a dream where you’re doing exactly what you’re doing? Did you follow that? Well… I had a dream that I was sleeping in my bed, in the exact position I was really sleeping in. And a man came into my house. (I watch a lot of crime TV, don’t ask me why. I don’t know.)

Anyway, from the front entryway, a man grumbles, “Where’s the dog?”

Now adrenaline is coursing through my veins. I mean, I’m just 5’2. If a couple of men break in, I’m in trouble. I didn’t have the energy to even get out of bed, I was so tired. So instead of hiding or calling for help, I decided that the best way for me to deal with a pair of uninvited robbers was to scare them off before they got to me. Because if they get to me, it’s too late. I’m done for.

Are you following me in the dream? The man says (presumably to another man) “Where’s the dog?”

So I loudly answer, with all the sarcasm and bravado I have in me, “Reading, #*$%er!”

Yeah, that’s right. Some burglar wants to know where my dog is, and my answer is that the dog is off READING. And then I call the man one of the most vile things you can call anyone in an attempt to scare him out of my house.

Ended up the man was my ex-father-in-law bringing my son home sick from school. (All of this was a dream. While my son has a cold IRL, he's been at school all week.)

Anyway, I have laughed for days about the idea of my dog lounging around, wearing a smoking jacket in the backyard with a worn out old copy of War and Peace or maybe a little Pride and Prejudice for a lighter read.

But, seriously, these dreams are going to make me batty (if I’m not already). I need to get back to dreaming about characters or people I don’t know. Or maybe I should just lay off the crime TV.

Now I know they say no one cares about anyone else’s dreams (unless they have a starring role in said person's dream)… but I’ll be nice and ask anyway. Have you had any strange dreams lately? What do you think they mean Freudianly? (It is a good word, isn't it?) But most importantly, do you own a dog who likes to read? (Because mine would like to start up a book club with his peers. Maybe something they can do after their late night poker games.) 

Image credit: <a href='http://www.123rf.com/photo_12470759_dog-reading-a-blue-book.html'>damedeeso / 123RF Stock Photo</a>

19 comments:

  1. That is a strange one, Ava! I wonder if the dog was reading one of your books? :-)

    I have long, involved, strange dreams every night. All night. About me and the people I know. About characters from books and TV and movies. Tammy Falkner always says she can't see how I get any rest. :-) I guess it must be restful to my brain? Who knows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm acting like I'm an expert in dreams now, but I'm not. Still, I think I remember way back from school that we have dreams in the REM stage and that is where we also get the most restful sleep. (I could always be wrong, but let's assume I'm right... You're getting better sleep than ANYONE!)

      Delete
    2. You're correct! REM is when you're in deep sleep. It's what you need to be able to function, and it's also when those wacky dreams occur. :)

      Delete
    3. YES! I love, love, LOVE being right! Thanks, Cat. ;)

      Delete
    4. LOL--Well I love, love, love getting good sleep! :-)

      Delete
  2. I snicker every time I think of you screaming, "READING, *^%$er!" because I can hear the intonation and see your face in my mind.
    Also, it reminds me of the most interesting man commercials.
    "I don't always read a book...but when I do, it's epic."
    That is one bad-ass canine you've got there. ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andris! I have been snickering too. I don't know what it is that I find so funny about that sentence, but I do. I seriously laughed almost a whole day over it.

      Delete
    2. Oh, my gosh, I can totally hear the snarl too, Andris. :-)

      Delete
  3. It is extremely rare that I remember my dreams. I can probably count on my two hands the number of times that I have, it is so rare.

    That said, I did have one that I remembered a little over a month ago. I'd spent the night at Erin Knightley's house, and I woke up at some crazy hour of the morning because the dream I'd been experiencing was so disturbing I couldn't stay asleep. I don't remember all the details, but what I do remember? *shudders* And yes, I was the "star" of the dream. I wish I hadn't been.

    I don't have any dogs (or cats) who read, but Kiki likes to help me type (she was particularly fond of the A key on a former laptop...so fond she tore it off enough times it wouldn't go back on), and Dakota is very good at standing perfectly in the way of my ability to see my computer screen. Both of them are hockey cats, too...they watch the puck moving back and forth across the screen, like it is a bug they need to pounce upon and kill. If anything is on the TV other than hockey, they're ambivalent.

    I would really love to see Toby reading. I'll have to bring him some books and see what he prefers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat ~ LOL. You know Toby will eat anything (except for potatoes, though no one understands why). So if you bring him a stack of books, I'm sure he'll make a snack of them.

      You'll have to get Dakota and Kiki on video watching hockey. That sounds hilarious!

      Delete
  4. Bwahahaha!!! I love this dream! Seriously, I have messed up dreams ALL THE TIME. I never dream about characters, except the time I dreamed about Drew from my first book, but there was no plot. ;)

    I think I blogged about some of my messed up dreams a while back, so I won't repeat some of the crazy things my mind dreams up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam ~ What was Drew doing in your dream? I can't remember.

      Delete
    2. Ava! Don't make me blush. I can't tell you. This is a PG site. :D

      Delete
  5. I am the queen of odd dreams. And VIVID. I can't recall ever not having long, drawn out, excessively detailed dreams - so much so that it seems like I wake up tired most of the time! My hubby, on the other hand - out like a light every time. Oh, the bliss of dreamless sleep...
    Or, if not dreamless, something that will make me as rich and famous as Stephanie Meyer's supposed dream ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said to Deb, I thought we got the most sleep in the REM state, which is where we get our dreams...but most of the time we don't remember them.

      Did I..ahem...DREAM that up? (Sorry for the bad pun).

      Delete
  6. I too have some crazy dreams and usually I am in the mix somehow. I have talked to lots of writers who do. Maybe it is how our minds work.

    Anyway I wanted to stop by and say thanks to you talented ladies for letting a big hairy Texan invade for a day and if any of you ever have a project to promote just give me a shot and my blog is yours.

    Many Thanks,

    Travis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great having you here, Travis! Good luck with the release (from a mis-placed Texan).

      Delete
  7. I always seem to have the same dream right before the kids start school: I've forgotten the combo to my locker lock and I can't find my books or my class. I'm *days* late.

    UGH!

    ReplyDelete