Our Pages

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

RT Part Deux

Like Jane, I am absolutely exhausted after the incredible whirlwind that is RT. My, oh my, how I wish my pre-author self could have seen the people I would be hobnobbing with some day—I think I would have died of squee. The best part of it all is that everyone I meet at these conventions are all just so darn nice.

I've always been a bit of an introverted extrovert (make sense?), but it wasn't until I was so beautifully accepted into the fold of the romance community that I really became comfortable in my own skin. These women (and men!) are so lovely and supporting, it makes it easy to walk up to them and introduce yourself. So without further ado, here is my convention, told in pictures in the order in which they were taken.
(Note - To protect privacy, I didn't post pics of readers, but it was just amazing to meet and talk with them! Hugs to any of you that are reading this!)


My very first panel!! With Elizabeth Hoyt, Laura Kinsale, (me), Eileen Dryer, Delilah Marvelle, and Renee Bernard. It. Was. AWESOME.


Me and my buddy, Laura Kinsale (squeak!)

The ever refined and elegant Heather Snow and me in our room before the Rosie Gulch Mixer :)

Out to dinner with the Lady Scribes! Julie Johnstone, Samantha Grace, moi, Jane Charles, Catherine Gayle, and Hanna Martine

Hanging in the lobby with Maire Claremont and Delilah Marvelle

Sneaking a selfie during a nice chat with Heather, Elizabeth, Renee, Maire, and Delilah (what? I want proof I know these talented women!)

On top of the world (make that Kansas City) with Sabrina Jeffries and Heather

Having a great chat with Tracy Brogan, Elizabeth Essex, and Ashlyn Macnamara

I'm sitting amongst a mass of quivering fangirls for Jude Deveraux and Julie Garwood's chat. Okay, so maybe I was quivering too ;)

MARY JO PUTNEY!! (Ahem.)

Ashlyn, Valerie Bowman, me, and Heather are up to some trouble, I'm sure.

Kimberly Kincaid, Tracy, Sara Ramsey, and Jennifer McQuiston enjoying some quality time at the bar. We all met as aspiring authors when we finaled in the Golden Heart contest :)

Me and PJ Schnyder rocking the historical ball. Honestly, it takes exactly NO prodding to get me to dress up ;)
 

JUDE DEVERAUX!!!! (I may still be shaking following this encounter)


Me and my historical buddies at the Giant Book Fair: Shana Galen, Vicky Dreiling, and Kieran Kramer - what fun! 


MARY BALOGH!!! (I think I scared her a little)

 And at long last, me and Mr. Knightley on the way home after he picked me up from the airport :)

So who is your favorite author you've met? Or who would you most like to meet?  Would you be a quivering mess, or all cool and collected? (Don't lie - we all know it'd be the former!)



35 comments:

  1. I would love to meet all my favourite authors in one place, quivering mess in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Samantha! The quivering mess part is what makes and so fun and memorable, for sure! Maybe we'll see you at one of these conferences someday!

      Delete
  2. Erin,
    You are such a social butterfly! And you're good at remembering to have photos snapped. I always forget. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've forgotten in the past, so these days I'm determined to be that annoying picture-taker, lol ;)

      Delete
  3. I loved meeting Julie Garwood. I am still talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Swoons* Seriously, what a legend! It was great fun meeting you in person, Shana!

      Delete
  4. My big fangirl moments all came in a row. First, I got to meet and talk to Julie Garwood. Then I did the same with Jude Devereaux. And I followed that up by heading toward Mary Balogh to talk. Oh. My. Goodness. I might start shaking again just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe - I loved seeing how star-struck you were afterwards :-))

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time and got to meet so many great authors!!! Loved the pictures. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RT was sooo much fun. Now here is my confession. The best part was meeting readers. I went to lunch with a group of readers and really enjoyed it. I was totally agog when Jennifer Blake joined us for breakfast. And of course, it was so much fun seeing all my author buddies there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vicky, with the possible exception of meeting Jude, meeting readers was far and away the most fun and rewarding part of the convention :-)) I have tons of pics with them as well, but didn't want to post without their permission (as I wrote this at midnight, lol!)
      I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience as well!

      Delete
  7. I'm new to historical romance fiction (since Nov. 2011) but I have been a Jane Austen student for a very long time (over 20 years). Someday I hope to attend both a RT or RWA conference as well as Jane Austen Society of North America general meeting. I've enjoyed "meeting" authors I've read via email & Twitter. You are all so very friendly and welcoming to readers! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria!
      I'm so very glad that the open lines of communication are available for readers and writers today. It makes the experience so much more rewarding for all involved, I think :) Glad to 'know' you, and I hope to meet you in person at one of those meeting some day!

      Delete
  8. Great pics, Erin!!! So sad I couldn't be there!!

    When I got my first rejection, I was in the middle of Lauren Willig's first novel. That book got me through those tough couple of days, and at the end, I wrote to Lauren to tell her that. She replied (OMG!!) and it became my dream to meet her one day. Well, not only did I meet her at my local chapter meeting a couple years later, but we became FRIENDS!! I had to get over my star-struckedness at some point -- I didn't want to scare her away ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story! It's always so nice when the person you admire turns out to be a lovely person. And its even better when they end up a friend!

      Delete
  9. Erin!!!!

    Thanks so so so much for posting these! I missed it this year :( And I'll probably miss the next one too :(

    Last year I was looking forward to meeting Mary Balogh the most, but she missed it [life happens, right], but I got to meet you and I'll NEVER forget how sweet you were to me.

    I met Loretta Chase last year an I was in awe, couldn't even speak! This year I think that would have happened with Laura Kinsale. I try to reread her books at least once a year [not all, but some].

    I am so bummed for not meeting Jude Deveraux and Julie Garwood :( I read EVERY historical they ever wrote!!!

    But to see Delilah, Heather, Kieran, Vicky and you in one room just warms my heart :)

    HUGS right back!

    Mel
    www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MELANIE!! I missed you - it just wasn't the same without that beautiful smiling face of yours :-)) I hope you'll be able to make it to RT next year - New Orleans, baby!

      Delete
  10. Love all these pics...looks like such a wonderful time! And I LOVED your fancy ball gown!! As for me, my biggest fangirl moment was meeting Neil Simon, but I suppose that's for a different blog;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - Neil Simon? That's kind of a 'same but different' sort of thing I guess. How cool that you got to meet one for your idols, though!

      Delete
  11. Looks like everyone had a great time, Erin! :) Thanks for sharing your pictures. :)

    this year, at RWA, I get to meet CARLY PHILLIPS IRL. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Yeah, getting my squee over with before I meet her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, PLEASE get all the rabid fangirl out of your system now, lol! Shoot from moderately crazy ;P

      Delete
  12. There are so many authors that I want to meet but I don’t know where to start. Since I have been chatting with so many fabulous authors on blogs in the last year or so, I have certainly come to realize that the camaraderie among them and the honest and sincere support they all share is so very special. If you want to see true friendship in action, come join these blogs. It’s like one big family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blogs where you can easily interact with everyone are so much fun. We're so glad you come join us here, Connie! :-))

      Delete
  13. Looks like you had a wonderful time, Erin! I love your dress for the historical ball. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved it, even after the bathroom stall debacle (a story for another day!)

      Delete
  14. And a good time was had by all! It was a great conference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So great! I totally photobombed that restaurant pic hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Cracks me up every time I look at it :-))

      Delete
  16. Erin! I love these pics! And your historical ball gown! So stinkin' green with envy for you guys that got the chance to go! I swear next year or the year after I am determined to go. It looks like so much fun I swear. I'm so glad you ladies had so much fun. I really enjoyed reading the tweets and seeing the pics, especially since I live vicariously through you all lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope you can make it to one of these in the next year or two - I bet you'd have a blast! Plus, I miss you :)

      Delete
  17. Oh Goodness,
    I'm still trying to get over the company you kept at the conference! I wonder if I'd ever get over being star-struck! And Jude Devereaux...she was the first romance author I ever read. Followed by Julie Garwood. I had the amazing honor and pleasure to meet Eloise James at the CTRWA conventions several years back. It always struck me as just how witty and engaging she is in person and it's no wonder her words on a page are the exact same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that it is these authors loveliness that comes through in their writing, which is why we love them to begin with. Just so satisfying to know you are adoring a good person, lol!

      Delete
  18. Oh, definitely not calm and collected! Giddy and running around like a crazy woman is more like it. I've attended a couple of RWA signings and an RT one, so I've got to meet a bunch of awesome authors. My favorite was Jennifer Estep because I love her Elemental Assassin series, but meeting Nora Roberts was pretty darned cool too.

    ReplyDelete