Our Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Shimmer Glitter, Broken Pinkies, and Milestones…



….I wouldn’t miss any of this for the world. Not even for  the amazing Romantic Times convention (or the really awesome Harlem Shake that they did there!)   

Sometimes I feel like my world revolves around writing.  There are always deadlines, and conventions, and promotion, and social media, and…and… It never seems to end.  I don’t think people realize that there is so much more to being an author than writing the next book. Goodness knows I wish it was that way (my obsessive compulsive tendencies would love to focus on just one thing :-), but there is so much more to the job than I ever imagined. 

In the last few weeks I’ve had massive re-writes, multiple blogs, swag to order, edits, copy-edits, another synopsis, two short stories, conference planning, and multiple hours on you-tube learning how to understand the very  basics of graphical artistry so I can save a bit of my ever increasing tax exemption on things like web-page design and trading cards.  All those things are not the most important thing I’ve done over the last few weeks though.   The most important task I’ve accomplished is actually my first job and my first love: being a mom. 

The juggling act is not always easy. Unlike a 9-5 job, being a writer is a hat I never take off. Even when I’m driving my daughter to her horseback riding lesson or my son to his boy scout outing I have stories playing in my head.  I often wake in the morning , my mind racing at maximum RPM as I toggle through my to-do list for the day: make lunches, don’t forget the check for the field trip expenses, stop by the school and check the PTO box, write my Lady-Scribes blog, oh and get those stock images I purchased to my cover artist!  

Sometimes I fail pretty miserably at the juggling act; mom life, PTO life, or writer life often taking precedence at any one moment in time, but you know what? I’ve learned that that’s okay.  My family loves me. They will understand. So will the rest of the moms on the PTO board if I drop the ball on getting the budget done in time for the next PTO meeting. And, lucky me, so do my publisher and my fans when I need just a little extra time or miss an amazeballs conference.

 I love this industry. Deadlines, promotion, and social media headaches aside (hey, I am a reclusive writer!) I love what I do. Because you know what else I love? Being there for my little girl when she gets her shimmer glitter tattoo at a PTO event I helped pull off, or kissing her pinkie before we splinted it up after her ex-ray, or watching her with love and joy in my heart as she walked down the aisle to take her first communion. 





Yup, that’s where I was during the Romantic Times convention (it was a heck of a week!) And as much as I missed my fans and my writer friends (you’re all awesome!) I wouldn’t have traded a single one of those moments for the world. How about you all? What sort of juggling acts do you perform on a daily basis in your life?

All my best,
Lady Hellion

14 comments:

  1. I think a lot of us feel the same about the balance in our lives. It comes with the territory. But I agree, one of the best perks of writing is doing it from home and being here for my kids!

    Thanks for sharing the lovely pics--and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, sometimes (okay, often) I think I'm failing at the balancing bit. I think overall I might have it under control so I cling to that ;-)

      Delete
  2. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't know how you writer moms do it! Or how ANY mom does it. I juggle writing, letting the dogs out, and remembering to defrost something for dinner. That's it - no soccer games, play dates, laundry, sleepovers, or ballet classes. And the sad thing is that I STILL have trouble keeping my life in order, lol.

    Thanks for sharing a little slice of your life - and the first communion pics are priceless!

    (PS - I'm actually in that Harlem Shake video, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin - I think juggling in the mom stuff is a learn-as-you-go, mother-of-necessity kind of thing! That's too funny on the video, I'm going to watch it a dozen times now to figure out where you were! LOL!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on yours daughter’s first communion AND congratulations on having your priorities in the right order. There will be other times for you to attend the RT convention, but only one first communion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you are so right! I am really looking forward to RT next year, but am so glad I held off registering this year on that gut feeling that it was too close to communion to chance it. Turns out I was right about the conflict of interest! And I know I picked the right place to be :-)

      Delete
  4. Tes,
    There are so many things pulling at moms, and all the things added to what authors are supposed to do gets a bit insane at times. It seems like everything hits at once too. At one point last year, I was in the middle of my blogging tour, working on revisions for another book, and preparing launch materials for a third book. I wasn't sure i was going to pull it off. Thank goodness I didn't have anything major going on with family at the time. But without a doubt, I would have skipped RT too. Family comes first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, I hear you! I typically get hit with one crisis from family, one from PTO, and one from my author life at one time. Then nothing major for weeks or months. When it rains, it pours, right? ;-)

      Delete
  5. Tes,
    UGH! I totally know where you're coming from. And if you find the little fairy that can wave her magic wand and allow us to do everything without dropping the ball, GRAB THAT SPRITE AND HOLD HER DOWN BECAUSE I'M COMING FOR HER! Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! There is a sprite for time management? We so need to hunt her down :-D

      Delete
  6. I'm still waiting on a house cleaning fairy to appear, and maybe even a cooking fairy. That would totally help with time management. ;)

    Great pics, Tes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, cleaning and cooking fairies... we really have to track these sprites down :-) Thanks for stopping in!

      Delete
  7. Oh Tes,
    First congratulations on this milestone in your daughter's life. And she looks stunning.
    You have no idea how much I connected with your blog. I love to write and though not traditionally published with those types of firm deadlines (yet) : ) there are so many things that prevent me from just sitting down and writing uninterrupted, or going to conventions. Our son, as you probably know, has special needs. I don't have a child who is typically developing so I don't know what is standard for families. But I work full time as a teacher and then drive an hour to race to get him at school when his day ends, (because it's so important for me to be the one to see him at the end of his school day because I leave so early I don't see when he wakes up first thing in the morning). Then after school at 3 we have to drive another hour to hippotherapy two times each week, speech therapy, and then soccer on weekends. We don't get home most nights until 830 (which is why I'm usually a night time blog visitor). And as for dinner...what's that?! But I do have vacations during the school year and summers off...and that's when I make my hay with writing time. My son is in summer school due to his disability so I have that time to write. Thanks for sharing your blog. It made me feel less alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you do it all, Christi. I feel like a total underachiever now ;-) You're such a great mom. That little boy is so lucky to have you. Of course, I know you don't see it quite that way; and you're right, you're lucky to have him too! Thanks for taking the time out of that busy schedule to say HI!

      Delete