Our Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Food For Thought

In 1988, an episode of Alvin and the Chipmunks premiered called Food for Thought. I was 9 going on 10, yet I remember that episode, clear as day. Well, maybe not totally clear. I was a little fuzzy on some of the details, so I went back and watched it. You can too, if you want!


Food For Thought (56) by Jackthechipmunk

But I digress. The reason this episode has stuck in my mind all these 25 years is because I think of it almost daily. I know, ridiculous, right? But you see, I love food. I've always had a special bond with Theodore because of this love. I totally get him. He's completely distracted by food. Alvin can't even say, "This'll be a piece of cake," without Theodore thinking in the more literal sense that he needs a piece of cake. I can totally relate. Just ask my husband.

I was once again struck by thoughts of this episode the other day when I was trying to work, and all I could think about was lunch!! Clear Noodles, to be exact.

You see, we have this new Asian restaurant nearby and they serve the most amazing clear noodles ever. If you're unfamiliar, clear noodles (or cellophane noodles) are a thin rice noodle, and they're prepared almost like fried rice, with veggies and whatever meat you want (I'm a shrimp girl, myself), and they are heavenly. This dish is kind of a Japanese/Thai take on Japchae (Korean clear noodle dish.) It's not the most appetizing looking dish ever, but it's up there amongst the tastiest.

Anyhoo, the point of this blog is not the clear noodles, but rather my obsession with them. Knowing we were having them for lunch, I couldn't think of anything else. I lost an entire morning of work because I was so distracted by the idea of my lunch. So I've told Eric that we can't plan it anymore. We have to work, and at noon, we'll discuss where we're going for lunch. I just can't know if those clear noodles are in my future.

What about you? Do you have a food that is so amazingly yummy to your tongue that you can't think of anything else until it's in your belly?? I'd love to hear what dish knocks you off your game!


21 comments:

  1. LOL Absolutely! Indian food does that to me. Whenever I know it's in my future that day, I'm post. My brain shuts down and only counts down the hours until I get to consume it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I'm not sure any dish, or dreams of the dish, have knocked me off my game, but I definitely get cravings for certain foods. I love a creamy spinach dish at a local Indian restaurant. It may not sound very appetizing since it's spinach, but they do something amazing to it. (Maybe sprinkle it with crack???) I know my hubby is always up for Indian food for lunch if he can get away from work. I also love a sesame egg plant dish and pineapple tofu curry I get at a restaurant called Bamboo House. It's a mix of Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, and Chinese foods. And then sometimes I just have to have sushi to make it through the week.

    Now I'm hungry. Thanks a lot! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indian food seems to be a theme around here! I'm not a huge fan, myself, though a creamy spinach dish might sway me! Sounds yummy! Oh, and Eric and I always share a Philly roll alongside my clear noodles :) YUM!

      Delete
  3. There's a Mom and Pop pizza place in my hometown that has the best pizza. Only the one restaurant, but it's a local legend and nothing tastes like it. We always have to visit when we go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm! We have a great pizza place here, too. We go every Friday night for our own family pizza night, so I'm usually a bit distracted on Fridays, too. LOL!

      Delete
  4. I don't have any specific dishes (though I love Chinese food--crab rangoon!), but my sweet tooth is out of control. If it can be found in a bakery, I'm a fan. I was craving something sweet last night (and of course we had nothing sweet in the house because I'm trying to avoid it. Grr) so I buttered some bagels, sprinkled (okay, coated) them with brown sugar, and stuck them under the broiler for a few minutes. Caramelized doughy goodness! Now I have to go fit in another workout. ;}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh! That sounds SOOOOOO good, Andris! I might take a break from writing to go make that. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two words: Japanese Steakhouse.
    I usually only go twice a year: at my birthday, and right before Christmas with my family. LORD do I love looking forward to it. The flames, the show, the food, the Yumyum sauce! *drools* Too bad it's still months away til my next visit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good hibachi, Erin! You should totally go more often!!! We used to have one IN our apartment building up north! It was SO good! Now I'm thinking I need to hit one up soon. It's been a while for me, too!

      Delete
  7. Bacon. Seriously. I have a love-love relationship with the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm! Yes! Eric told me recently that he wasn't that big a fan of bacon. I told him I wondered how we ever ended up together. lol.

      Delete
  8. Vanilla ice cream. With or without chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jerrica, I understand EXACTLY what you're talking about. For me, it's dim sum. If there is a promise that I will get to have dim sum, I am wrecked until it happens. I can taste the garlic-sauteed green beans. Practically feel the shrimp dumplings parting tenderly under my eager teeth (or the stuffed green pepper!). And don't even get me started on the heavenly jasmine tea! So yeah, I'd say dim sum.

    There used to be a place kind of close to where I worked called Big Bowl. At Big Bowl, they had these cold Thai peanut noodles served with shreds of cucumber that literally make me drool every time I think of them. It is probably a good thing that restaurant closed, honestly. My thighs are still suffering years later! But man, I still dream of those noodles. Maybe I'll find them somewhere else someday. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that reminds me!! I did Carnegie Mellon summer music camp in the summer of '96, and one of the on campus cafes had cold Thai peanut noodles!!! They came already prepped in a little plastic container for, like, $3! Mmmmm! I can still taste them! So good! If we ever get together we MUST seek out cold noodles! LOL!

      Delete
  10. I was feeling that way yesterday about a yellow cupcake with buttercream frosting. It’s truly my favorite. I don’t know why, but I had a craving for it. I could see the bite of cupcake and the feel and taste of it on my tongue. I had to get up and walk around shaking my head to get rid of the fantasy. I’m hoping it means a cupcake is in my near future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Cupcakes! My hubby and I run The NY Cupcake Guide, so I'm exposed to cupcakes daily! Plus I'm writing a contemp novel right now that involves cupcakes. It's SO hard not to just buy a dozen and eat them throughout the day(s). LOL!

      Delete
    2. Ooh yummy! The NY Cupcake Guide. I’m going to have to check that out. Do let readers know about your upcoming cupcake novel. It would definitely be one that I would like to read! :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh, boy...this Clear Noodles place sounds like the kind of place I'd crave. As all my crit partners know, whenever they have good news or even crap news that they are down about, my first piece of advice is to order Chinese food! Which is of course because my food of choice, on every day and all days is to order Chinese food. I'm a noodle person--perhaps it is my great craving for foods of certain textures (i.e. pasta, gummy bears, jolly ranchers)...and now I made the mistake of reading this blog when I'm hungry, waiting to eat dinner! Well-done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with Erin: JAPANESE STEAKHOUSE. Actually anything involving steak is yummy to me. But there is something special about a chef whirling and chopping and throwing shrimp at you. ;)

    ReplyDelete