Our Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

If at first you don’t succeed…


That was my motto for this book!

WHAT A ROGUE WANTS releases today and I just have to slap myself to make sure it’s true. (Cue hard slap!) Yep, it’s true. 

This book has literally been years in the making. Does that mean it will be a bestseller? I hope so! Seems like I often hear producers and authors talk about books or movies that took them years to write or produce and then said books and movies went on to be huge hits. 

I’ve been working on WHAT A ROGUE WANTS for as long as I can remember. No lie. This book was my second baby I ever wrote. Back then it was called DECODING DECEPTION. The idea for WHAT A ROGUE WANTS was born one day when I read an article about King George the III and how a strand of his hair had tested positive for poisoning. Immediately, I was intrigued. Here was a King everyone had thought was crazy who may have been made that way by poison. I knew there was a story there!

After month of research and writing I sent the finished book out to contests and agents. At the time, my book was embraced lovingly by the writing and publishing community at large. It won several coveted contests, received tons of requests from agents, but the stars didn't align for my book. Why? I couldn't answer the question back then because I was too close to the project. It took putting the book away and forgetting about it for several years to be able to go back to it and see what the problem was.

When I picked the wip (work in progress) up again in December of 2012, I realized it wasn't going to be a simple fix, but I was instantly drawn back into the main concept of the story. I was also particularly taken with the idea of writing a book set in King George III’s court.

I worked the next five months on rewriting and editing the book. The result is WHAT A ROGUE WANTS, which is actually the first book in a new series called LORDS OF DECEPTION. I am so excited to bring this series to readers! This is more than a romance. WHAT A ROGUE WANTS is passion, intrigue, romance and deceit all wrapped into one plot twisting book. I hope you guys love it!

And without further delays here is the blurb:

Lady Madelaine Aldridge might be the worst lady-in-waiting to ever grace King George III’s court. An oddball who prefers archery to knitting and honesty to deception, she earns the dislike of the Queen, the cruelty of the other ladies-in-waiting and the advances of a lecherous fiend who wants to make her his whore. Her father demands she find a proper husband―a task that seems hopeless until Lord Grey Adlard rides into court.

Grey Adlard lives up to his reputation as a dangerously handsome rake when he proposes Madelaine meet him in the stables for a tumble. Yet when she needs a protector the most, Grey offers his services and vows he wants to court her. Wary yet intrigued by the mystery he presents, Madelaine slowly allows Grey to capture her confidence and then her heart.

Things seem perfect until her father is imprisoned for plotting against the King and Madelaine learns Grey is not who he pretends. As King George III sinks deeper into insanity, Madelaine must prove her father’s innocence in order to save his life. With the future of England hanging in the balance and a ruthless murderer hunting them Grey and Madelaine engage in a clash of wills and a battle fraught with suspicion, secrets, betrayal and two hearts that cannot deny the impossible, irresistible love between them.

And for a little taste of the book:

             “THIS TRIP HAS BEEN A bloody waste,” Grey growled as they made their way out of Marie Vallendri’s townhome and into the bright sunshine of Golden Square. “Who am I going to shock my father with at dinner tonight since Miss Vallendri already has a lover?”
“How about that chit right there.” Gravenhurst pointed toward a band of gypsies who’d set up a shooting booth.
“I said I wanted to shock my father, not give him a death fit.”
Gravenhurst chuckled at Grey’s side. “Look closer. See the tall, pretty brunette? From my experience women with curly hair have rousing personalities to match, and the chit may be dressed as a proper lady, but she wouldn’t be in the art district if she was. She’s ripe for adventure. I say go pluck her.”
“I like your thinking.” Grey studied the woman. “She’s pretty enough but see how her mouth is puckered in disapproval. She’s not here of her choosing. Likely she’d faint if I propositioned her.”
“You may be right. Perhaps you should select a new mistress from Madame Landry’s women.”
“I think not,” Grey said, distracted by the sudden shouting from the group of gypsies. As he moved across the square and closer to the group he could hear wagers being bantered back and forth between the men and women alike. The excited buzz of the crowd was like a drug. He stopped by a sleek-haired gypsy with keen black eyes who struggled to take the money shoved at him while scribbling wagers in a little book.
“What’s the wager?”
The gypsy acknowledged Grey with an upward flick of his eyebrows and a sardonic smile. Grey instantly liked him. “The lady claims she can split the arrow lodged in the target over there.” The man pointed to a target so far away Grey had to squint to see it.
“Impossible. Unless the lady is built like a man. Which lady?” He glanced at the women gathered around the group. A few of them were thick in arm and might be able to do it if they’d been shooting all their lives.
“There. That fair ghel with the sun on her head.”
“The fair what with what on her head?” Grey reached into his coat and brought out a bag of coin.
“Come, I’ll show you.” The gypsy eyed Grey’s coin and then wound through the throng of people. “You going to wager?”
Was he ever. No need to go showing his excitement and get taken advantage of. “Yes, but I’ll see the lady before I decide for or against.”
“And your friend?”
Gravenhurst shook his head. “I’ll keep my funds in my pocket where they belong.”
Leave it to Gravenhurst to try to spoil the fun. Nothing could spoil this novelty though. Grey shrugged. “Sorry―?”
“Romany.” The gypsy stuck out his hand. Grey shook the man’s hand with enthusiasm. His wasted trip was just about to become profitable and entertaining. Toward the inner circle the man stopped behind a woman whose waves of flaxen hair tumbled invitingly down her back and marked her as the woman with the sun on her head. He chortled at the description. What a preposterous idea to imagine the petite creature standing in front of him had the strength to wield the bow and shoot the arrow true enough to split the one already lodged in the target.
She had a right lovely round backside, he’d give her that, but he’d not give her his confidence. He jingled the bag of money with a grin and held it toward Romany who’d begun taking bets again from the people around him. “I’ll put the whole lot on the lady’s failure.”
With a gasp, the woman whirled around and speared him with a dark look as well as nearly stabbing him with her arrow. “You’re mistaken to wager against me, sir.”
There was something invitingly erotic about the pale-skinned, bronze-eyed beauty wrapped in delicate, lilac silk. She looked dainty and helpless yet she wielded a weapon that could kill and boasted of skills no proper lady would dream of admitting. His lust awoke in a heartbeat. This was the woman he needed to prickle his father and push him toward agreeing to secure a commission. “I’ll be happy if you prove me wrong, yet your stature does make me question your abilities, Lady…?”
“Miss Prattle,” she responded with a conspiratorial look at the curly-headed brunette.
“What an unusual name.” He winked to prod her and was rewarded when her eyes rounded.
“Yes, well, Lord…?”
“Drivel.” He could barely contain his amusement.
She burst out laughing, the merry sound making him smile. “Your laugh is lovely,” he said. Instantly, she sobered, eyed him warily and turned her attention downward on her arrow. She was right to be guarded. His blood hummed in his ears with his desire. Forget his parent’s boring dinner. By tonight he’d have this chit in his bed. The contradiction she presented was irresistible. “I’ll put my money on you and give you all my winnings to make up for offending you, but if you lose, you must accompany me to my townhouse.”
“She’ll not!” her friend exclaimed before the lady herself could reply. When the lady gave her friend a cool look, Grey had to work not to show his satisfaction. She was just as interested in him as he was in her. Today was turning out to be splendid, indeed.
“I’ll take your offer.”
“Excellent.” He ignored her friend’s outraged huff and Gravenhurst’s indiscreet snickering into his hands. “There’s much I want to show you.” Grey imagined her excited expression when she saw his collection of archery sets. Her mouth dropped open. By God, the chit thought he was referring to something sexual. Her expression of barely contained outrage was priceless and intrigued him all the more.
“What precisely do you think to show me? Are you a collector of art?”
Her tone was brittle as glass. The challenge of making her pliable in his hands was going to be quite enjoyable. For now, it might do her good to wonder what he was about. “I only have one piece of art that’s worth your seeing.”

I hope you enjoyed the sneak peek. If you did, you can purchase WHAT A ROGUE WANTS AT amazon.comwww.barnesandnoble.com, smashwords.com, and soon at all other major e book retailers.

One lucky commenter today will win a twenty dollar gift card to Amazon.com to buy all the e books your heart desires! I'd love to know if you've ever had something that needed fixing but you couldn't see the problem until you walked away. Be sure to leave your name and email address so I can get in touch with you!

Have a great day! And please come visit me at www.juliejohnstoneauthor.com



35 comments:

  1. Congrats on your release, Julie! I remember this book in all of its versions. ;) So glad it's out there now for everyone else to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ava! So funny how many versions it went through to finally get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Congrats, Julie! Like Ava, I remember this book in all its versions too. LOL! So excited to see it top the charts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jerrica! I believe this was the second book the critique group ever read of mine! Crazy to think how many versions I had to go through to get here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your release, Julie! So exciting to share the book of your heart and hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I hope everyone loves it as much as I do!

      Delete
  6. I'm excited for you, Julie! I know this one has been a long time coming. Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine! A long time is an understatement!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your new release, Julie! Good things come to book projects that wait. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when it happens, and I'm too stubborn to walk away and come back. The story sounds intriguing.
    ~Melody
    countessofmar(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melody! I'm stubborn too! Guess that's why it took me so long to put it down and walk away.

      Delete
  9. I've been lucky to have had the pleasure of reading this book both in an early form, and in it's latest incarnation :-) Bravo!! It's so awesome to see how you've blossomed over the years, and I am honored to have been a small part of that journey.
    Best of luck, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are wonderful, Erin! A true friend and a fabulous critique partner!

      Delete
  10. Yay, Julie! Congrats on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to chuckle at the excerpt of “What a Rogue Wants.” It sounds as though Grey may discover it's difficult to find a woman that he can easily charm. Methinks the Rogue may have to work for it! :-)

    Congratulations on your release, Julie. I’m certainly looking forward to reading it and I know it will be a fun book! Wishing you continued successes.

    Connie Fischer
    conniecape@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie! Grey definitely has his work cut out for him. Madelaine is no push over!

      Delete
  12. Congrats to Julie on the new release! Thanks so much for sharing! Sounds awesome :) Ummm... my ex-fiancee. I thoughts it was the end of the world until I got a few months past the break up and some much needed perspective. Glad I dodged that bullet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,
      I'm glad you did too! Be sure to get me your email, so I can enter you in the drawing!

      Delete
  13. CONGRATS! YAY RELEASE! Looks lovely, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite often when I write something (tho mine were just memos & specs at work) I often left them sit for a while & would often come up with something to add or modify. And when I work on projects around the house I often find it helps to let some time go buy while the ideas percolates at the back of my brain until I find the right solution. I love to read about where an author's idea germinated and their work process.

    Diane - sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane,

      So true about the projects at home! I often start to change something in the house, and then come back to it before I make a large purchase to be sure it is exactly the way I want it!

      Delete
  15. Congratulations, Julie! What a labor of love...I too, have been dedicated to my current series; also working on it for the past two or so years, and can totally relate to your devotion to a project. I'm thrilled that yours is being born unto the page! And your cover is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Christi! I am looking forward to seeing your labor of love on the page!

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on the release of What a Rogue Wants! Yes, I've had something that needed fixing but couldn't see the problem until I walked away. It was my last job and I was so afraid to let it go, but when I did, I ended up with something so much better. It was so worth it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats Julie! The book sounds really interesting. Fascinating tidbit about King George III, I didn't know they had that technology then!

    Sometimes I find that my initial solution to a problem (usually work) might not have been the best. I must be a slow thinker.

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie you know I'm a big fan. I am really looking forward to reading this! I am working on the third revision of my second WIP. The first book I wrote just flowed I thought it would all be so easy. hahahaha. this one was torture and I needed to step away from it to come back and see how it wasnt what I wanted. Now, I'm loving it, and look forward to writing. I can hardly stay away from the computer.
    Good luck with this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy,

      Isn't it such a wonderful feeling when the writing flows and you're like an eager kid to go outside, except you're eager to sit at your computer and write!

      Delete
  19. Congratulations, Julie! I'm so happy for you and proud, because I know what a labor of love this has been. It's so good to see the story out there for everyone to read now. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats on the new book. The thing that needed fixing was my first marriage. I walked away and that fixed it!

    ReplyDelete