Our Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Summer Blockbusters


Summer has finally arrived in Wisconsin. I say finally because we were still wearing heavy jackets last week and people had their heat on. It has been a weird year. I can’t wait for barbeques with friends and family, bike rides to the farmer’s market, and Sunday afternoons at the pool. And when the heat gets unbearable—because it really does get hot and humid even in Wisconsin—we’ll be hiding out at the cinema.

Don't forget to raid your savings account if you want snacks

Here are some of the movies I’m looking forward to this summer:

Man of Steel—I’ve always had a thing for Superman. Not long ago I mentioned a recurring theme of people not being quite what they seem to be in the books I write. I love that bumbling Clark Kent, with his thick nerd glasses, is really the strongest, fastest, most honest man on earth. I can’t wait to see Henry Cavill in the role. I loved him in The Tudors.

This is the End—I’ve heard this is a weird one, but the trailer made me laugh. It’s about a bunch of celebrities attending a party at James Franco’s house when the world ends. I like quirky so if it’s quirky-weird, I’m sure I’ll like it.

World War Z—Yes, I like zombie movies. They freak me out a little, but I like being a little scared sometimes. Plus, I’ve always liked Brad Pitt’s acting.

Monster’s University—My daughter really wants to see this more than I do, but I’d be happy to take her. Unless she talks my mom into it, which is a strong possibility. Mimi is powerless to tell her no, but with family movies like this, why would you want to say no?

So, I’ve got a superhero blockbuster, a comedy, a post-apocalyptic movie, and a family movie. Now if I can just find a good romantic comedy, I’ll be set. 

What movies do you want to see this summer?    

22 comments:

  1. Much Ado About Nothing Joss Whedon, gotta see it

    The Heat Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy...should be funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah! I forgot about The Heat. And I didn't realize Much Ado About Nothing was a Joss Whedon film. I'm adding it. Love him!!!

      Delete
    2. Much Ado is my favorite play, so I'll be there for sure!

      Delete
    3. Oh my gosh Deb, I want to see THE HEAT. That movie looks so funny.

      Delete
  2. Sam, we love going to the movies, with and without the kiddo! Eric and I have seen Now You See Me and The Internship in the last week. Loved them both!! We'll definitely be taking B to Monsters U! And we just took her to see Epic a couple weeks ago. Good, but not great. If you can find The Croods still playing I highly recommend that one! Super fun for the whole family!

    As for upcoming...I don't even know what's coming! I should pay better attention to the previews, I guess. But rest assured, we' ll be at the movies plenty this summer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know about The Croods. The title turned me off. LOL. It might show at the discount theater in town, so we'll try to catch it there. It's a lot of fun at that theater because you can order pizza, ice cream, or even alcohol. They removed some of the rows and added tables, so it's like dinner theater. :D

      Delete
    2. Fun!! I haven't been to one of those in years! But you'll love The Croods! We went twice to see it :)

      Delete
  3. I'm mostly looking forward to This is the End. I've been having to watch a lot of very serious foreign films lately. I want to laugh until my side hurts and this movie looks like it could do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ava,
      I think it looks hilarious. Hopefully all the funny parts aren't in the trailer. :)

      Delete
  4. I have always had a thing for Superman so, I will be heading to see Man of Steel, Tuesday morning. I grew up watching the Lone Ranger with my dad so it’s only fitting that I will be taking him to see the film when it opens. I want to see Monster's University but I'll probably wait for it to hit DVD. The same goes for Grown Ups 2, I’m more of a DVD watcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to watch Lone Ranger re-runs and loved it, but for some reason the movie doesn't appeal to me at all. And I'm a Johnny Depp fan! Maybe after others see it and they like it, I'll change my mind. I know my daughter wants to see it.

      Delete
  5. Superman and Monsters University top my list. :) But really, summertime means movie time for me. I can't tell you how many summers when I was growing up that our AC would go out (BAD NEWS if you live in Texas), so my siblings and I would spend the day at the movie theater while we waited for the AC repairman to show up. Plus, it's the season when most of the best, big budget flicks hit the theaters, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine,
      You'll have to let me know which ones you see this summer that you think are worth seeing. And yeah, no air in Texas is a killer! :)

      Delete
  6. Honestly, the only movie I want to see is THE HEAT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've already seen Iron Man 3 and Star Trek: Into Darkness. I'll be going to see Superman with a friend I've not talked with for awhile. Mainly because she loves that comic series. I'm looking forward to Wolverine and Red 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth,
      I bet my hubby will want to see Wolverine. He likes the X-Men comics and has liked the other movies. Actually, I really liked the last X-Men movie from when they were younger. I wouldn't mind seeing Wolverine's story. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, I cannot WAIT for World War Z...when I'm not writing romance novels, I'm totally an end of the world-themed movie fanatic! When is the second Hunger Games coming out?! November?! I'm dying to see that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the first one yet, but the preview gave away the ending to that movie. LOL. (No, I haven't read the books either. I started the first one then set it aside. Maybe I'll pick it back up this summer so I'm ready for November.)

      Delete
  9. Please don’t throw your popcorn at me for this, but I cannot sit still in a movie theater to watch a movie. I hate it. If I watch a movie, it’s at home where I can pause it and take a break. On second thought, go ahead and throw some of that popcorn this way. I love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Connie!Throw popcorn at me too! ;D

      There is something nice about watching a movie in the comfort of your home. I always have to take a bathroom break.

      Delete